You guys aint gonna believe this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys aint gonna believe this

Ok, so some of you know I was finally able to play the game last weekend.
    So the next day I tried to log on and nothing. Thats when I posted and asked if the master server was down.

So tonight I ran into the IT guy that has control over the network where I'm currently working. I casually asked him what the outage problem was the other day. He comes back with" Someone on the network here hit us with a DOS attack. " I said "you mean like they were downloading large files and stuff like that."

I acted like I didn't know what he was talking about. He said "no we had a large amount of packet flow that basically shut down everyone else." I asked him if he knew who it was, but he said he couldn't tell from what he was looking at. Right about this time I'm about to bust, being the guilty party, but I refrained from laughing out loud. Didn't want to rock the boat anymore than I already had.

These crappy networks over here don't allow for the type of packet transfer that is needed for playing. So that's it for me until mid Feb. unless I run into something someplace that can work. But most over here are basically the same. Choked down satellite connections with very little bandwidth.

Just thought I'd pass this along so everyone could get a chuckle. I know I did.
    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I don't think a network admin would mistake game type packet flow with a DOS attack. Unless the guy just doesn't know what he's doing. I really don't think it was you.
    A change of Pace.
    "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Originally posted by paceman View Post
      I don't think a network admin would mistake game type packet flow with a DOS attack. Unless the guy just doesn't know what he's doing. I really don't think it was you.

Yea, the packet flow from a game is VERY different from a massive DL, a game is about equal sent and received, a massive DL is almost ALL received.

Comment

Definitely was not you... Diff packet types, different profile than you playing a game....

Comment

Maybe you BSODed, and lost your profile..

Comment

Wow, the big guns came out on this one. Thanks for the encouragement guys. I couldn't be sure but it did coincide with me playing that day. Maybe a coincidence maybe not. I wont be playing here anymore anyway.

He also said he did ID'd some guy by the name of xxxxxxx and kicked him off. Now that, I know was me. Oh well, thanks for helping guys. I'll try and sneak around somewhere else and see what I can do.

You guys don't take your gaming experience for granted back home. Let it be taken away from you for months at a time and you get a little taste of what its like.

But I still like hangin with you folks. Well, everyone except Phantom...

Oh, and I didn't mean I wouldn't be playing on the server anymore, I meant that I wouldn't be playing at the location I'm currently at . Didn't want that confused.
            Last edited by {CLR} Cobalt; 21 Jan 2009, 08:05 AM.
            [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Hopefully we will see you in game some time in the not so distant future.
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X