COD4 9.4 @ IGN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COD4 9.4 @ IGN

O.k. who has it, and what version do you have or plan on getting??? I can't decide between the xbox and pc versions. The are both supposed to be very good. The only difference is the PC multi player supports up to 32 players, where the xbox version supports only 16.

MD

I really loved COD 1 & 2. But 3 being a console only sort of pissed me off. Plus I don't know how you could do modern warfare better than BF2.

I'm torn on if I will get it or not. If I do it will be for the PC.
    A change of Pace.
    "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Did you guys play the demo on the pc?

I did, and I was highly unimpressed with the game. I uninstalled the demo immediately after finishing, instead of giving it another go. A whole lot of "been there, done that" going down, with a bit of "ooh, that shade of yellow-brown is much richer than this shade of ocher-brown over here."

-Rand
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR}
        Did you guys play the demo on the pc?

I did, and I was highly unimpressed with the game. I uninstalled the demo immediately after finishing, instead of giving it another go. A whole lot of "been there, done that" going down, with a bit of "ooh, that shade of yellow-brown is much richer than this shade of ocher-brown over here."

-Rand
        LOL

+1

Very much a been there, done that. MP reminded me WAY too much of CS, fun for a bit, but then turned into same tired mechanics rehashed over and over. Not to mention the fact that it will be yet another game that requires continual play in order to stay ahead of the curve skill wise (with all the earnable upgrades). To each his own I guess

Comment

Ill spend my money on TF2, thank you very much.
          Frankly, I hated the CoD2 multi because it always seemed that every server was chock full of hackers.
          Im afraid to try this one for that very same reason, but the sp looked good and Im always in for an interesting war story.

Comment

I kinda like been there done that... I mean ut have been there and doing that same stuff for the last 8 years.

Comment

I can't speak for the PC version, but I picked up the 360 version yesterday and the multiplayer completely owns anything else on a console, and is probably the best FPS I have played since BF2. The graphics are gorgeous, and some of the single player levels (only played maybe a third of it so far) are brilliant. "Death from Above" has you gunning for an AC130U Gunship (complete with IR camera and snarky crewmember comments), and "All Ghillied Up" has you sneaking through an entire level to make one sniper shot so long that you have to actually account for wind and the Coriolis Effect when you fire. Good stuff.

The multiplayer is very solid, there are 16 maps and a ton of different modes. The perks and weapons you earn through mutliplayer rankings do not make you uber...they have less influence on the game than the ones in 2142 did, but they're more fun (Last Stand lets you whip out a pistol when killed to try to take your killer with you). At level 1 last night I was taking out level 36 ILiveInMyMomsBasementSoICanRuleTehIntrawebs players last night with no problem (other than their better knowledge of the maps).

Think BF2 with no vehicle whores, working netcode and better graphics. I'll be spending quite a bit of time with this one.
              [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
              [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Thrashdragon
                I can't speak for the PC version, but I picked up the 360 version yesterday and the multiplayer completely owns anything else on a console, and is probably the best FPS I have played since BF2. The graphics are gorgeous, and some of the single player levels (only played maybe a third of it so far) are brilliant. "Death from Above" has you gunning for an AC130U Gunship (complete with IR camera and snarky crewmember comments), and "All Ghillied Up" has you sneaking through an entire level to make one sniper shot so long that you have to actually account for wind and the Coriolis Effect when you fire. Good stuff.

The multiplayer is very solid, there are 16 maps and a ton of different modes. The perks and weapons you earn through mutliplayer rankings do not make you uber...they have less influence on the game than the ones in 2142 did, but they're more fun (Last Stand lets you whip out a pistol when killed to try to take your killer with you). At level 1 last night I was taking out level 36 ILiveInMyMomsBasementSoICanRuleTehIntrawebs players last night with no problem (other than their better knowledge of the maps).

Think BF2 with no vehicle whores, working netcode and better graphics. I'll be spending quite a bit of time with this one.
                Nice review...

Better download the Demo and check it out.
                A change of Pace.
                "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

The demo was ok but short.

Comment

td get the bullet upgrades (perks) instead of last stand! The bullet upgrades allow you to shoot through some walls. Really nice for the sniper who tries to duck and cover and you send a bullet through the 2x4 in the window frame.

fast xp tip: on the level with the rocket launchers, in the middle of the map is a pit. Jump in you get a award bonus and nice xp for doing it once.

also look at what the barracks have for trials. Those can be easy xp as well (like 5 kneel down shots).

weapon tips: have atleast 2 custom classes set up with a assualt rifle and sniper rifle in the other kit. That way no matter what map comes up next you can adjust on the fly.

my rank looks better than i actually am. But between cod 4 and blue dragon its hard to decide what to play.

Comment

I'm trying to fight the urge to buy it...since I lately got Halo 3/Orange Box/Eternal Sonata....btw is Blue Dragon any good..it got horrible reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyFinn
                        I'm trying to fight the urge to buy it...since I lately got Halo 3/Orange Box/Eternal Sonata....btw is Blue Dragon any good..it got horrible reviews.
                        There's a demo for it on Live. I couldn't get past the cartoony characters to get to the actual gameplay, but I'm shallow like that. It's supposed to be a very deep old school RPG.
                        [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I liked eternal sonata better because the it feels up to date and was a nice mix of story telling with rpg gameplay (took a bit to get use to the characters looking cut out). But ES was a game i had to beet and thats a mark of a good rpg, when you have to beet it.
                          Blu dragon like TD said more more traditional, think kinda ff7 or ff8 style. Its a very long game. Ive played the crap out of it and am only on disk 2. if your a old school rpg fan you will probably love this not to mention its got that japan element to it. Some chars look like they where stolen from DBZ.
                          Blue dragon has a lot of leveling though and that can get boaring, loot kinda stinks so dont add much excitement there. But the game is very solid and will make a nice addition to a library if your a rpg fan (its way better than enchanted arms).

I have like 40+ people on my friends list and daily i see more jumping to cod4. Just traditional dm (what i played yesterday) had over 20,000 people playing it.

but if you have eternal sonata id play that and hold off on blue dragon. At least until you beet it. But if nothing else maybe rent cod4 and give it a spin. If you like bf2 (without vehicles and EA) you will probably like cod4.

Comment

Originally posted by Premonition
                            td get the bullet upgrades (perks) instead of last stand! The bullet upgrades allow you to shoot through some walls. Really nice for the sniper who tries to duck and cover and you send a bullet through the 2x4 in the window frame.
                            I actually go back and forth between the two...normal bullets go through wood and sheet metal anyways so I can live without the additional penetration from the perk most of the time...it is handy to have sometimes though. I had a few bad rounds last night (my K/D is exactly 1:1...I'm at 157 Kills 157 Deaths) but it gave me plenty of practice taking out my killer with Last Stand. I got one guy three times in a row with it, he had to be annoyed that his victim kept killing him.

fast xp tip: on the level with the rocket launchers, in the middle of the map is a pit. Jump in you get a award bonus and nice xp for doing it once.
                            Haven't seen that one yet, but thanks for the tip.

also look at what the barracks have for trials. Those can be easy xp as well (like 5 kneel down shots).
                            I don't have access to many of these yet (only level 8 atm), but I stick my head in there every once in awhile. I like that a lot of unlockable stuff is based not on level, but on the challenges.

weapon tips: have atleast 2 custom classes set up with a assualt rifle and sniper rifle in the other kit. That way no matter what map comes up next you can adjust on the fly.
                            I don't snipe in console games as I am horrible at it. My customs are just whatever weapon I need to complete whatever challenge I am on + attachments and perks. Give me an assault rifle or a squad automatic weapon and I'm a happy fella.

Comment

when you see the rocket launchers you will know what map has the pit in the middle. Btw stay away from the middle after you do it! The middle of that map is like a duck shoot since the map is basically round.

I like the map with the bus and its night with stuff burning. Fun map! Ill look for you when your on and maybe we can go a few rounds. I just grabbed a few awards a few mins ago.
                              1) gernade kill award
                              2) crouching kill award
                              3) m-16 kill award

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X