Re-introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-introduction

This section being called ?Introduce Yourself to our Community?, and seeing as our community has grown, I thought it might be a good idea to re-introduce myself to people as there have been many faces that appeared throughout the years. So while we encourage newcomers to post here for everyone to get to know them, I though it only appropriate for this somewhat older timer to do the same.

I?ve been an avid console gamer since I was a kid, starting with my Intellivision gaming console. I also played around with the Commodore 64 and really got into computer gaming using an Apple IIe system that ran with 5 ? floppy disks.

I did the BBS thing in the 1990s, which was my first venture into a world of posting forums. Some guy would host a BBS on his PC at home, allowing people to post, share files and play games. I was first running on a 2400 modem.

Started doing the PC online gaming thing with Tribes and really got serious with UT 99. All the while, I was really into MMO gaming, starting with the UO beta in 1996 and moving through many of the major releases between then and WoW, long stints in City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot, UO, Asheron?s Call.

I wrote some beta reviews for some now gone MMO websites. I was heavily involved with the IGN online gaming community, contributing to various articles. I also contributed to some Prima guides while in Dark Age of Camelot.

Found the Lair while playing UT:2004. I would join online, sort the server list by # of players and go with the best ping. This one server, Cain?s Lair, was always full. So when I saw it had room, I would join, thinking that a server that is always full must be doing something right.

From UT:2004 ONS, I played for Day of Defeat and DOD:Source. When Cain was hosting the DOD:S test servers, I was asked to be an admin. Moving to BF2 when it was released but didn?t go with BF2142 as I never really liked the game. Went back to UT:2004 and some CS:S while waiting for new games on the Lair, and now very much enjoying myself with Team Fortress 2.

My day job is as a Business Analyst, where I essentially manage an HR and Payroll application, from system upgrade, QA testing, dealing with users and dealing with developers. It?s a good job, can be better, can be worse. Been doing it for about 9 years now.

I?m not very school educated, have my high school diploma. While I was top of the class, I?ve always found that school does not really represent intelligence. It just shows you can memorize. Learned what I know and what I do by experience and trying to absorb and comprehend information.

I?m 31 years old, married for 3 years, with my wife for 11 years.
    I live in Montreal, which is an awesome place to live. Travelled somewhat, a few places in Europe, South America, some places in the US, and many places in Canada.

I?m a sucker for nostalgia. I love cartoons and comic books, love watching Heroes and Lost. I?m not religious, I believe morality is more important than following words other people are dictating (which are often changed or modified).

I consider myself a very open minded person and love to chat about most things with people who are as open minded.

I guess that sums up bigtwinky.
    Oh? I used to go by the name doughboy many years ago, as I loved a local band called The Doughboys. But when the internet became more common place, that nic was often taken. So I tried to find something with the same quarky type of ring to it. I was watching Ghostbusters and there is a scene where Egon is explaining some scientific thing and ends up comparing it to a twinkie. So Ray (or was it Winston) replied ? Wow, that?s a big twinkie?.
    [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
    So all you get is this crappy text]

Hey I have seen you in the server before and wondered if I knew you.

Comment

Nice background info, Twink !! You have a similar introduction to the PC world as me ... Intellivision, C64, then bought my first PC - a 386/20 in '89. Then got on a local BBS to play Doom in '93 and its been all fun and online fragging since then.
      I vividly remember my first experiences with Quake 1 and the absolute chaos that a 16 player DM server created. Sorta like a 32 player version of TF2 on 2Fort !!
      Good to know more about you, and know that I value your opinion and judgment on many things far and wide that you probably don't think twice about ... you are a gret asset to this community.
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Hello again.
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

WELCOME BACK!!
          We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Re: Re-introduction

Originally posted by BigTwinky
            I?ve been an avid console gamer since I was a kid, starting with my Intellivision gaming console.

I sold those things when I worked at Radio Shack.

God I'm old!

I was undefeated in over a hundred games on the Intellivision baseball.
            A change of Pace.
            "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

LOL...you are not old pace, you are just a classic

I was more of a football fan, even if the teams were like 5-6 people each side.
              I also loved Tron, Nightstalker, Utopia and a few others that I'm forgetting.

Comment

You were here before me so..... Welcome!

Comment

Utopia was good, as was downhill skiing, but astrosmash was my favorite.
                  A change of Pace.
                  "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

BigTwinky... now why does that name sound familiar

Comment

Originally posted by Storm_Shadow
                      BigTwinky... now why does that name sound familiar
                      Because he was the first admin to ban you for no reason at all

Comment

Originally posted by paceman

Utopia was good, as was downhill skiing, but astrosmash was my favorite.

ahh... skiing. The only way you can get me to go.

Comment

Welcome to the forums?

Comment

Comment

Thought I would bump this one up, seeing as all the cool kids are writing up bios.

haha

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X