ATI Decides to be Competitive.....HD3800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Decides to be Competitive.....HD3800

Today ATI releases their new midrange cards, the HD3800 series.
    As opposed to their previous release, these cards have both reasonable performance as well as a very competitve price.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=1
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

While the 8800GT still bests it by a small margin, its also $50-100 more expensive, making the 3800 a great midrange card.

Just an FYI for all those out there looking to upgrade that antiquated hardware with something faster without breaking the bank. Honestly, if you can swing the 8800GT, I'd still recommend it, but sometimes trying to squeeze blood from a rock just isn't feasible

Yea, it's a nice card with a nice power efficiency improvement (as seen on www.techreport.com), too bad AMD (or ATI, whatever you like to call them now ) video card manufacturers don't have something like a Step-Up program, where you can upgrade your previous video card to a newer model without losing much $$$ (like I did with my old EVGA 8800GTS card which I bought for $260 and after almost 3 months of daily usage upgraded for free (excluding shipping fees) to new 8800GT card).

Comment

Right now, the price gouging on the 8800GT is ridiculous. It supposedly is to sell for $199 for the 256mb variant, but I'd highly recommend springing for the 512 card, but not buying it until mid-December when Nvidia starts to feel ATI's lower priced card is stealing its thunder and drops the 8800GT to below $235.
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

The 3870 seems to be an awesome deal at $219 retail. It's UT performance looks really good too. I'd definately consider getting this card.
        Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
          Right now, the price gouging on the 8800GT is ridiculous.
          It's not really about price gouging but more about actually finding one in stock... For example, Amazon lists the 8800GT card at prices starting with $250, and if it's combined with free shipping and teh Amazon's coupons (which you get if you will sign up for Amazon - branded Visa credit card) will give you about $225 total price BUT these listed cards aren't in stock yet...

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
            Right now, the price gouging on the 8800GT is ridiculous. It supposedly is to sell for $199 for the 256mb variant, but I'd highly recommend springing for the 512 card, but not buying it until mid-December when Nvidia starts to feel ATI's lower priced card is stealing its thunder and drops the 8800GT to below $235.
            Actually it's just supply n demand...

but I agree with you.....I believe once things settle down the 512mb version should be around 250 USD
            [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Supply and demand hit the ATIs as well $269 and up now
              Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

All because Nvidia and Ati, once again, can't make enough cards for the shipping date. Once the shipments start hitting the stores again the prices should drop.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                  by Apache Warrior
                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                • Reply to 6 years
                  by Sirex
                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                  by Sirex
                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                  by Sirex
                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                  by Sirex
                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                Working...
                X