Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Supply

I want to upgrade my power supply on my Dell XPS 410, but I worry about finding a compatible PSU since I hear that it is hard to find these so I have a couple questions...

1. Does anyone know a store that I could go to that might have compatible PSUs for sale?
    2. Dell uses a standard Intel Motherboard, would a new PSu cause problems?
    3. Would increased power (from 375 w to preferably 600 w) cause a problem with anything in my computer...like CPU, GPU, RAM, Hard Drive, everything?
    4. Is it hard to upgrade the PSU?
    5. Would I have to worry about increased temperatures menaing replacing and adding new fans to keep the system cool?

The main reason I am asking these questions is that I want to get a 8800 series graphics card, but my computer does not give out enough power, so I would need a new PSU to get a new graphics card. Maybe even upgrade my CPU is I have enough money. I am wanting to just upgrade instead of buying a new system because buying a new system means a crap load of CREDIT CARD money which I do not have. My case itself has excellent ventallation and is built to remain cool which is why I am considering upgrades rather than a new computer.

Do you think it would be better to upgrade now, or wait to get a new system in maybe a year or so? Current system specs:

Dell XPS 410
    Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 SP2
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13 GHz, 1066FSB) with 2MB Cache rated at about 5.75 GHz
    3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    256MB Nvidia GeForce 7900GS
    250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    16X DVD+R/RW CD-RW Combination Drive
    Intergrated Audio
    Logitech MX5000 Mouse and Keyboard Combo
    Logitech X-230 2.1 Configuration Speakers System
    Logitech Premium Notebook Headset w/mic
    Linksys WRT54G Router
    Samsung SyncMaster 170MP
    375 w PSU (standard dell power supply unfortunately...)
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

1. Newegg? ZipZoomFly?
    2. I doubt it - according to this article (which directly mentions your model):
    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2834 Dell is now using a standard PSU connectors so any standard PSU should work with the motherboard inside your Dell PC.
    3. No
    3. No
    4. I doubt it - Dell cases usually have good ventilation.

And yea, you should always upgrade as soon as you have chance - you never know what might happen in the future (maybe teh world will cease to exist after several months or so ), so try to enjoy your new upgraded hardware while you still can

Comment

Originally posted by random_id
      1. Newegg? ZipZoomFly?
      2. I doubt it - according to this article (which directly mentions your model):
      http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2834 Dell is now using a standard PSU connectors so any standard PSU should work with the motherboard inside your Dell PC.
      3. No
      3. No
      4. I doubt it - Dell cases usually have good ventilation.

And yea, you should always upgrade as soon as you have chance - you never know what might happen in the future (maybe teh world will cease to exist after several months or so ), so try to enjoy your new upgraded hardware while you still can
      Ya I agree, a top of the line state of the art computer can become outdated in about 6 months because new technology keeps advancing. Thanks for the input...KEEP IT COMING!

Comment

1. Seemingly not. Your quite lucky.
        2. Same here too.
        3. It isn't all about Watts. AS 520W Corsair would be more than enough.
        3. No, but in some cases you might have to remove the CPU cooler or motherboard to fit it.
        4. No. And even if there is it will be negligible.

Your PC is fine. A 8800GT would be a massive boost.

Comment

Ok, I have been reading a lot of articles that are saying that upgrading the PSU really not necessary. They are saying that Dell tends to underate their PSU anyways...so like 375 Watts means continuous, and probably like 450-500 MAX or something like that. They often said that when the Dell XPS410 came out, they offered the 8800 GTX with the system (with the standard 375 W power supply). So i have been reconsidering even upgrading the PSU, and saving that money for the new graphics card...Thoughts? opinions? Thanks!!

Comment

Ignore the articles. A 8800 sucks down most of that 375 watts by itself when it's running full force. You need more power if you're going to upgrade to that model card.

I'm also pretty sure the 410 model would not have offered the 8800GTX as a default option. People may have been able to add it, but Dell's configurator probably wouldn't warn them that they needed more power with the card. The way Dell does their pc configs is that the XPS 700+ models are the gamer-centric ones, and those would offer the GTXs. The lower models (are you sure you don't mean Dimension 410?) wouldn't have as many options for high-end video cards.

-Rand
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

PSU wasn't all that expensive to me, considering what I have or WILL have hanging on it.

So I went to the
              CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply

I know.. Overkill. I didn't want to be lacking in power when everything
              was Zipping along. Zalmar CPU cooling fans reportedly take a lot of power
              to keep going, and the 8800GTX, and the duel core CPU.
              So, all in all, I decided to go over instead of conservative.
              ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_And_Gone
                PSU wasn't all that expensive to me, considering what I have or WILL have hanging on it.

So I went to the
                CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply

I know.. Overkill. I didn't want to be lacking in power when everything
                was Zipping along. Zalmar CPU cooling fans reportedly take a lot of power
                to keep going, and the 8800GTX, and the duel core CPU.
                So, all in all, I decided to go over instead of conservative.
                You could add another 8800GTX to that and still have juice to spare.

Comment

You can not go wrong with CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply I got one for my son and It got a life time warrent with it and it well worth the money

Comment

there's a good article on this PC at Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2834

it looks like the fastest video card they offered(at least at the time of the artcle) was a 7900 GTX. also, an aftermarket PSU shouldn't pose any problems with fit and plug compatability.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR}
                      Ignore the articles. A 8800 sucks down most of that 375 watts by itself when it's running full force. You need more power if you're going to upgrade to that model card.

I'm also pretty sure the 410 model would not have offered the 8800GTX as a default option. People may have been able to add it, but Dell's configurator probably wouldn't warn them that they needed more power with the card. The way Dell does their pc configs is that the XPS 700+ models are the gamer-centric ones, and those would offer the GTXs. The lower models (are you sure you don't mean Dimension 410?) wouldn't have as many options for high-end video cards.

-Rand
                      No the XPS 410. I just don't want to have to go in and pay someone to replace it for me, but I do not want to do it, in fear of possible destroying my computer.

Comment

-Rand
                        I don't know what you're talking about but my whole system with a previous 8800 card (8800GTS, heavily overclocked) never consumed more than 250w of power at full load, at ANY game I've tried. That is an actual fact tested with a power consumption meter that I have.
                        And here's another test of a system (all of the components, not only video card) power consumption which used an actual power consumption tool to do the test (instead of using theoretical figures):

Even with 8800Ultra and a Core 2 Extreme X6800 CPU, the full system's power consumption doesn't even reach 375w. So if Dell's PSU is able to provide most of its power output on 12v line or if Dell is actually underrating their total PSU output somehow, then yea, it's possible that the Dell's 375w PSU can properly power any single 8800-series card. Though personally I would still upgrade that PSU - first of all, it seems like the PSU's reach their highest efficiency (less energy lost as useless heat) at about half of their maximum load, second of all with new modular PSU's you can get better case ventilation by unplugging unnecessary power cables from PSU, plus it is useful to have a spare working PSU around "just in case"

Comment

-Rand
                          I don't know what you're talking about but my whole system with a previous 8800 card (8800GTS, heavily overclocked) never consumed more than 250w of power at full load, at ANY game I've tried. That is an actual fact tested with a power consumption meter that I have.
                          And here's another test of a system (all of the components, not only video card) power consumption which used an actual power consumption tool to do the test (instead of using theoretical figures):

Even with 8800Ultra and a Core 2 Extreme X6800 CPU, the full system's power consumption doesn't even reach 375w. So if Dell's PSU is able to provide most of its power output on 12v line or if Dell is actually underrating their total PSU output somehow, then yea, it's possible that the Dell's 375w PSU can properly power any single 8800-series card. Though personally I would still upgrade that PSU - first of all, it seems like the PSU's reach their highest efficiency (less energy lost as useless heat) at about half of their maximum load, second of all with new modular PSU's you can get better case ventilation by unplugging unnecessary power cables from PSU, plus it is useful to have a spare working PSU around "just in case"
                          That is exactly what I thought...AAAHHHHH too many conflicting arguments

Comment

I'll put it simple for ya. Upgrade the PSU to something decent, a 550W corsair or Thermaltake would do nicely, if you can get a 600w that's all the better. I'll take screenshots of how to replace a PSU for you here in a bit, you'll see that it's really really easy.
                            [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

-Rand
                              Maybe you just have a particularly eco-friendly system? An 8800GTS at load puts out about the 250 watts you mention with a mid-range e6600 or so chip at full load. I guess I should have clarified that the card plus the chip are most of the 375 watts--250 is most of 375.

That doesn't count whatever else he's got hooked into the power supply.

Kyler, hook up a lava lamp to it.

-Rand
                              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X