• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems I've caught something...

Somekind of malware virus? I dunno. I'm just a novice
    user with not much clue about this...

SO anyway, I came home from work last night. Tired, so I
    just get to the computer for emails and messages. Tell my
    brother to get off the computer so I can use it.

Then I noticed...
    A whole mess load of desktop icons of trail offers, casio games,
    "anti-virus" offers and etc. My little brother says he did "something"
    and I was furious.

I delete all the icons and then go to control panel to get rid of
    them permently from there, the problem is, my control panel
    is not there anymore...

So I go firefox to look up for whats wrong. THEN firefox couldnt
    open and a alert window says "... has failed to start because
    firefox was not found. Re-installing the program may fix this
    problem."

Then a whole crap load of pop ups appear in less than a second
    after that alert window popped up. Computer frezzes for a while, so
    I "ctrl alt del" but another alert window pops up and says "... must
    be an administrator to use the task manager"

So not being an admistrator of my OWN computer, seems like I
    cant change any file. I cant even reboot the junk. After my move,
    I have no clue where the reboot cd even is. So I use Internet Explorer
    which happens to work fine but pop ups coming out the ass appear.

I DL a anti virus program from here, but then every time Im in the
    process of installing it, it closes randomly and I have to start the
    process all over again. which never works.

So I fiddle around here and there. Nothing, plus I'm tired and pissed
    and decided to call it a night and try again tomorrow. I ask my little
    brother what he did last night. Of course a "IDUNNO" answer appears
    and I hold back from yelling since its "too early in the morning"

Help me here...

And this is why you don't let non computer literate family members use your PC.

It's sound like you have some nasty malware and viruses. Firefox will still be installed but as a guess i would say that a lot of your registry settings have changed.

I'd use a restore point from before he started to meddle with your PC. See how that goes, and if it seems to be better, run windows in safe mode, turn off system restore, run Spybot Search & Destroy, and then re-enable system restore.

Being completely honest here but i wouldn't be suprised if you'll need to do a fresh install of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
      And this is why you don't let non computer literate family members use your PC.
      Heh, boy was I wrong to think a little boy could not do alot of damage...

I'd use a restore point from before he started to meddle with your PC. See how that goes
      Doesnt work.

and if it seems to be better, run windows in safe mode, turn off system restore, run Spybot Search & Destroy, and then re-enable system restore..
      This ones tricky. The "virus" closes the spybot program while im installing it, so I never finish no matter how many times I retry.

BUT havnt tried the safe mode and system restore yet. thanks.

Being completely honest here but i wouldn't be suprised if you'll need to do a fresh install of Windows.
      hmm?

Comment

Try and install Spybot in safe mode. Make sure you turn off system restore before running it though.

Comment

well, if you have a separate computer, or have access to another one, just look around the web for a "portable" free anti virus/spyware program, if it is portable it will not need to be installed, you can just run it

if you are technically inclined you can always find a boot CD on the internet with some type of antivirus, that way you can run it before windows even starts

and i doubt you will need to do a fresh install, unless it is extremely bad and it like deletes your system files, i had a very bad virus a few weeks ago, infected mostly all of my computer files -- but i was able to clean it out with the help of a boot cd and some antivirus

Comment

Yeah if you have access to another computer get to it and with a Flash USB drive and install these on it: Ad-Aware SE personal for the adware and malware and AVG antivirus for the viruses.... wouldnt hurt if you got a few more lol. By the way make sure after you install them on the drive that you check for updates on the good computer so it can get all the new stuff.

And if you can't get them working or installed for some reason I think your only choice would be fresh install, lol.
            [img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/120/latinsigsj0.jpg[/img] [img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/BenKenobi_player_7511.png[/img] [img]http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/public_banners/hope-banner1.gif[/img] [url=http://www.cainslair.com/paypal2Cain.htm/]
            You will donate to Cain's. Now.[/url]

Comment

Here's one of the ways to clean the viruses - create a http://www.ubcd4win.com and use an included tool (AntiVir antivirus) to clean your system from all the nasties. Just make sure to update the AntiVir's virus definitions first before doing any scanning/cleaning with it (here's how it's done: http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#howto1).

Edit: another way involves installation of trial version of Kaspersky Antivirus (www.kaspersky.com) on your clean/working PC then creating a rescue bootable CD as described here:
              http://usa.kaspersky.com/support/hom...cted_topic_id=
              then using that created CD to clean all the nasties from the infected PC. If you'll use this way, don't forget to update the antivirus BEFORE creating a rescue CD.

Comment

Ok cool, just got around today and now everything is going smoothly again. Thanks for all your help.

Now, any good programs to prevent this from happening again?

Comment

What AntiVir and Spyware apps do you already have installed?

Comment

nothing ATM, everything is fresh.

Comment

Spyware

Spybot Search and Destroy with Spyware Blaster

AntiVirus

Nod32 is my personal choice, but you will have to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by killa_zn
                        nothing ATM, everything is fresh.
                        www.free-av.com , it's free and (In my personal experience) has an excellent detection rate. The only drawback is that the free version will open a pop-up window (advertising a paid version of product) every time it will update itself, but it's a pretty minor inconvenience (I just usually schedule the updates during night time and then just close this pop-up when I return to my PC next day). As for paid versions, AntiVir, Kaspersky and NOD32 are all pretty good at detection rates (though I personally favor first 2 because eSet is rather slow company when it comes to analyzing the virus samples I've sent to them).
                        Oh, and with a good antivirus you usually don't need any other programs (like anti-spyware and such). If some spyware does get past your antivirus, it simply means your antivirus program is bad and you need to get a better one :P

Comment

i would suggest AVG antivirus . its free and it works.

Comment

Originally posted by killa_zn
                            Ok cool, just got around today and now everything is going smoothly again. Thanks for all your help.

Now, any good programs to prevent this from happening again?
                            Put a password on your account, and create a very limited profile for your little brother.

Be sure to disable java and javascript on it as well, and if he complains, tell him it's punishment for screwing up the machine last time.

Comment

Tell him thats what happens when you look at pr0n.
                              [img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/120/latinsigsj0.jpg[/img] [img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/BenKenobi_player_7511.png[/img] [img]http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/public_banners/hope-banner1.gif[/img] [url=http://www.cainslair.com/paypal2Cain.htm/]
                              You will donate to Cain's. Now.[/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X