I love this game except for one thing: the map size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this game except for one thing: the map size

I remember reading about UT3 and seeing that Warfare was going to have maps twice the size of Onslaught maps in UT2004.

Where are they? It seems that with the exception of the remakes - Torlan, Dusk, and Powersurge - all of the new maps are SMALLER than the old UT04 maps. These new vehicles are awesome but I feel so cramped using them. The maps in UT2004 felt like real battlefields - Redplanet, Crossfire, and Dria just to name three. These new maps feel tiny and claustrophobic in comparison.

Got to remember all the maps have a "recommended" player size just like the UT2K4 maps. Since there's 12 Warfare maps it probably breaks down into roughly four small, medium and large sized maps.

This is my best guess on the Warfare maps player size:
    Small maps: (6-12p)
    Market District
    Sinkhole
    Tank Crossing
    Islander

Medium maps: (10-16p)
    Floodgate
    Downtown
    Avalanche
    Serenity

Large maps: (16-32p)
    Dusk
    Torlan
    Power Surge
    Onyx Coast

Comment

Once the community get the hang of the new editor, expect large 32p maps to be coming out of the ears of every mapper lol

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
      ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

I think thats when ONS was going to be called "Conquest" as well. The maps were supposed to be twice the size of UT2004s biggest maps and feature multiple side objectives. I guess that Idea got scrapped somewhere along the way.

I really hope we see some big map remakes like Dria and Redplanet.

I think another thing that makes some of the maps feel small than they are, is the hover board. You can zip around pretty quickly.
        Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Originally posted by Devilguns
          I think thats when ONS was going to be called "Conquest" as well. The maps were supposed to be twice the size of UT2004s biggest maps and feature multiple side objectives. I guess that Idea got scrapped somewhere along the way.

I really hope we see some big map remakes like Dria and Redplanet.

I think another thing that makes some of the maps feel small than they are, is the hover board. You can zip around pretty quickly.
          +1. I've spectated through a lot of the maps to get my bearings and the maps really aren't that small, they just feel it.

I have to agree though, i can't wait to see what the modders come up with.... and maybe a UT3 version of the ECE pack?

Comment

Map size is one of my biggest concerns, and beyond perhaps possible balance issues or crappy UI problems, it is probably the one thing that would keep me from getting the game.

Here's a question though:

I played the "Beta" Demo for a while when it was released, and while I did have some fun, vCTF and the Bridge map supplied left me unimpressed. The map felt smallish, though it wasn't overly cramped because there weren't that many vehicles.

How does Warfare mode compare to vCTF and the map Suspense? Bigger? Smaller? More organized/directed than CTF? More random? I did play UT2k4, so I have a decent handle on the basics of how Onsl....Warfare works. Just curious of how it actually plays out in practice, especially with regards to map size.

Inquiring potential buyers want to know

Comment

Unfortunately, it feels as if most Warfare maps are just a tad bit bigger than Suspsense, with the exception to the remakes. Then they use buildings and obstacles to make them "feel" bigger.

Comment

There are no big war maps. One of the reviews I saw described torlan as one of the 'large' war maps and I found that amusing. Then I saw the rest of them!

This game is clearly aimed at console users. All of the maps fit the lower player counts consoles can cope with.

The maps are mostly bigger than suspense but they all feel cramped. You will have to wait for custom content to see more open & vehicle friendly maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy
                  There are no big war maps. One of the reviews I saw described torlan as one of the 'large' war maps and I found that amusing. Then I saw the rest of them!

This game is clearly aimed at console users. All of the maps fit the lower player counts consoles can cope with.

The maps are mostly bigger than suspense but they all feel cramped. You will have to wait for custom content to see more open & vehicle friendly maps.
                  So Torlan is like the largest map?

Who is going to spend the time making all this salvationary custom content if few are playing the game now

Comment

One thing I recall in a early UT3 article was the developers didn't want players having to walk/teleport all over the map just get some action. If you played during the early days of the UT2K4 server many complained ONS-Dria was too big until we figured out the best ways to get around the map.

Now some of the map sizes are probably smaller due to the PS3 port (which is 16p max) but throw in the Hoverboard/Grapple and getting to the action becomes that much faster...which I think was the point.

It won't be long until we see custom maps designed for 32p...WAR-Volcano High anyone...

Comment

The maps are small and also the node layouts are all uninteresting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any cutoffs on any of the maps. They all seem to be 1:1 or 1:1:1 and Torlan is maybe 1:2:1. Maybe with the objective nodes new strategies will emerge, but to me every map has the strategic depth of a Dreamus. (I know some people like those maps because they have quick and constant action; I found them repetitive and uninteresting)

Comment

Originally posted by randatola
                        The maps are small and also the node layouts are all uninteresting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any cutoffs on any of the maps. They all seem to be 1:1 or 1:1:1 and Torlan is maybe 1:2:1. Maybe with the objective nodes new strategies will emerge, but to me every map has the strategic depth of a Dreamus. (I know some people like those maps because they have quick and constant action; I found them repetitive and uninteresting)
                        Can you do custom node configurations? Or does the map layout make that impossible? I would imagine changing up the config every once and a while could freshen things up a bit......maybe

That is one thing that kept me playing 2142 longer than most games.....the completely open nature of it allowed for a near infinite number of ways to both attack and defend. While focused combat is good, if you are stuck in a linear "do-the-same-thing-every-time" style of gameplay, it wears out way too fast (queue ET:QW )

Comment

There is no link editor in game. If you want to change anything you need to work out how to use the editor and make a new map. Yeah you need to push a new map onto people to change the links. Or at least that's what people are saying. I've never got the hang of the ut3 editor so I've not looked into myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy
                            There is no link editor in game.

That makes me a sad panda

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                            Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X