Windows media center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows media center

Anyone using it....how do they like it and whats the monthly charge?

I have it, but what monthly charge?
    For the operating system or for the media center?
    If the media center, I was not aware of a monthly charge...
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Hmmm do you use it as a DVR? I thought there was a monthly subscription charge for the channel listings.

Comment

no sir, at least thers not on the media center xp one. I haven't tried the vista one tho.
        [img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/120/latinsigsj0.jpg[/img] [img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/BenKenobi_player_7511.png[/img] [img]http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/public_banners/hope-banner1.gif[/img] [url=http://www.cainslair.com/paypal2Cain.htm/]
        You will donate to Cain's. Now.[/url]

Comment

Mapes, the OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition. The channel guides are free using the internet.

as long as you have a TV tuner card you can connect your cable to the PC and use the HD as a DVR. Works pretty well. I have been using it for a few years.

BTW - Vista comes with these functions built in.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackArrow
            BTW - Vista comes with these functions built in.
            I think only Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium do. I'm pretty sure Business and Home Basic don't have the media software.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I have a laptop with a TV tuner and Windows Media Center (XP Edition though), and I get the guide free. When you're running through the initial setup, it tries to detect what your possible provider may be. It got mine right away, Rogers Analog Cable. Just click it, it downloads the guide info, and you're set to go.

If you absolutely need a cable box to watch TV, you'll have to get a compatible IR transmitter/receiver. Windows Media Center supports a whole bunch of them out of the box, and it has a little walkthrough to get it to work with your cable box. Otherwise you won't be able to change the channel using the computer, so if you wanted to do something like schedule a recording, you'd have to make sure you leave the cable box on the right station before you walk away. This would make things like recording 2 different shows on 2 different stations while you're not there impossible.

Comment

RB that is right. I have Home Premium and it has that functionality.

Comment

I check for you mate I have tv tuner card around the room someware and I'll install it and give it a try for you because I'm running Vista Home Prim

Comment

I'm using MCE2005 with a Microsoft wireless Media Center keyboard hooked up via HDMI to our 32" plasma TV. I had terrible issues initially with my graphics card as the aged eVGA 6800 AGP card I was using did not support the 16:9 aspect ratio of the TV, nor the necessary native screen resolution of 1440x900 for my TV, and on top of that its huge current draw would voltload my PSU and cause the video to black out. Situation solved by pulling the Nvidia card and going to an ATI Radeon 1300 card.
                  MCE 2005 does not charge you for a programming guide, so once it is set up you are good to go. I'm using it with an ATI HDTV Wonder card which is a hybrid SD/HD card. Media Center does not support any hybrid cards that split the tuner between Standard Def and Hi Def, but with a simple workaround (KRAMS driver) you can force MCE 2005 to treat both tuners as 'active' and record either Hi-Def or Standard Def TV. I'm using the indoor antenna that came with my ATI HDTV Wonder kit, but plan on routing that to an external antenna on my roof so that my HD:OTA (Over The Air) reception improves.
                  Currently, I can get some sort of signal from over 27 HD stations in my area, but due to the lay of the land and trees I can only pull in 2 of the 27 stations. Keep in mind that these are FREE HD broadcasts, as Comcast (in my area) charges $17 a month to view ANY HD content, but broadcasters are obligated to provide HD content sooner or later, and local stations are now broadcasting their shows in HD which will be free to view OTA if you have a simple rabbit ear antenna setup.
                  Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                  Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                    by Apache Warrior
                    6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                  • Reply to 6 years
                    by Sirex
                    I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                    Just hit 2.5K miles...
                    5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                  • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                    by Sirex
                    Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                    5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                  • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                    by Sirex
                    Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                    5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                  • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                    by Sirex
                    Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                    5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                  Working...
                  X