Unreal Tournament III = awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Tournament III = awesome

I have seen alot of anti ut3 on the fourms lately.. and im utterly shocked.
    i have been having nothing but a blast with the game and find it hard to understand why my opinion differs so much with the general public!

warfare is amazingly awesome! the orb, the detpacks, the new vehicles, the timed release nods, the special nods, the centralized combat.

warfare is everything 2004 was, but condensed and tweaked!

more often then not.. if you lost your vehicle in transit to another node (in ut2004) you had to spend a good 3-4 mins double dodge jumping to get to any sort of action, even then, there was no promise of anyone even being there!

warfare eliminates that aspect of the game by making the maps smaller and adding a hover board ( now im not talking about the one nod maps, and if you happened to play one, and made your opinion solely on that map. I encourage you to, right now, boot up ut3 and play a map like war_floodgate or, war_avalanche)
    Since the maps are smaller all combat is centralized, placing huge importance on attacking and defending. Onslaught suffered from a sort of mad dash to link up all the nodes to the enemy's core before the opposing faction did the same. When that option wasn't available, then it was purely brute force, and either ended up in a stalemate between two evenly matched teams... or an absolute shutout.

UT3 solved this with, once again, smaller maps. Smaller maps place more importance on attacking and defending rather then relaying solo on rush chaining as an offensive measure and grand distance as a defense measure.

the combat is hectic because of this, and people feel the need to defend as well as attack (mainly because people don't get board defending since theres always people coming)

but this decision does not result in a stalemate aswell, the addition of the orb has a huge importance on the battle since it can be either used to defend( and protect against incoming orbs) or it can be used offensively and instantly take over an enemy node.

now when i say you can defend a node with an orb, i mean you can lock down a node with an orb. not only does the node you are at become invincible, but it also protects it from instantly becoming captured by an enemy with an orb, ALSO you can jump in a turret with an orb! (making turrets 10 times more useful then their ut2004 counterparts) if the turret is in range then you can keep the node invincible and protect yourself from a pesky manta. (mind blowing eh?)

there are so many other aspects besides the node that make the new warfare so excellent, they now added special timed nodes that do damage to enemy cores when held for 60 secs. This adds for another battle complete outside of the node tug of war since they are not effected by the need to chain up.

they've added det packs that blowup enemy nodes after a 3 sec timer, the catch to this is you cant switch to any other weapons before its planted.

they added special nodes, that are once again not effected by the node chain, that spawn powerful vehicles like tanks or deathwalkers that can be brought to the node tug of war to tip the scales in your favor.

now i could go on and on about how awesome warfare is and how stellar its balancing is but ill spare you all :P

get over the interface! its not awesome but epic already has a patch in the beta with that fix in mind!

GO OUT AND PLAY IT! go find a warfare server with decent ping and decent amount of players and play either avalanche, floodgate or downtown!

after that come back here and TELL ME that you didnt have fun, and if you honestly didnt!!! TELL ME WHY!

I agree with everything above. Yesterday me, duke, and blackarrow had so much fun playing.

To be frank, i'm starting to get tired of the negativity people are injecting into this game, especially from people that have

1. Not played UT3.
    2. Not played Warfare.

The bad points are so miniscule is getting ridiculous. Yes the server browser maybe too simplified, but when was the last time anyone bought a game and thought "ooo nice server browser?" I mean come on!

UT Rocks!!!!!!

Comment

Nice post!

+1

Comment

I agree 100% People have to get over that it's not 2k4 and it plays a lot better than the Demo. Heck the Demo didn't even have Warfare.
        Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

i totally agree with you devil, this is not 2k4! they went back to their roots! thats why ut3 feels so much differently then 2003/2004

(the did this because ALOT of people complained that ut2003, when it came out, did not feel like ut99 at all. )

Comment

Originally posted by Devilguns
            I agree 100% People have to get over that it's not 2k4 and it plays a lot better than the Demo. Heck the Demo didn't even have Warfare.
            Which was why I've been so hesitant on a purchase. But with more reports like Fuzzbunny's, I'm inclined to think there is actually hope for this game.

And about the server browser....yeah, its not a deal breaker, but like bad VOIP, it hurts server communities like Cain's Lair from attracting and maintaining a new and growing playerbase. Since I already know where I'd be playing if I purchased, this isn't that big of a deal.

I'm also glad to hear that it does indeed play better than the demo....can't say that thing got me too excited over this game. But good reports certainly do

Comment

I would be playing it a whole lot more if it didn't crash on me every 10 or 15 minutes. Hopefully, the upcoming patch will fix that.

Comment

About the UI, I know I hate it more than anybody. But once your in game, your in. If you never played a UT game before, the best part is, instant respawns. No waiting around 15 or 20 seconds after you die, and the map loading, takes a whole what? 10 seconds? BF2 you could take a bathroom break, make an espresso, and solve a rubiks cube before the map loaded. The game is just pure action, it's the only game that gives me an adrenaline rush, I turn into FPS Doug when I play UT.

"So yeah I like FPS's what can I say, there's nothing like the rush of hunting people down and killing em, I mean my hearts beatin, my hearts beatin, my hands are shaking, my hands are shaking, BUT I'M STILL SHOOTIN, I'M STILL GETTING HEADSHOTS, IT'S LIKE BOOM HEAD SHOT, BOOM HEAD SHOT BOOOOM HEADDDD SHOTTTTT!!!!!!
                Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Well said Fuzzbunny!! It gets frustrating hearing how the game wasn't built for each individual. I'm really starting to think all the nay sayers decided they didn't like the game before they even played it. Meaning that no matter how much the game rocks, they won't like it no matter what. And it's there sole mission to make sure everyone on the planet knows how Epic didn't make the game just for them.

Epic did do some disappointing things with the UI, and released the game at the worst imaginable time, but that doesn't make the game any less awesome. I'm confident that people will find there way to UT3. If your watching the official forums any, you'll see there are lots of mutators, and maps in the works. I can't wait to see how some of the old maps are remade with the new engine!!

MD

Comment

1st off anyone getting stuck in 2k4 ons and taking 2 or 3 mins to get back into the action needs to get in touch with their suicide bind.

War is OK. It has potential to be great but the maps provided with the game are a real tactical void. The custom maps we ended up playing in 2k4 ons had far more tactical and interesting play. You could actually flank the other team with a well coordinated attack. In war all we get is constant spam at established and always open choke points and a linear node fight core to core. If you like spam its fine. I like spam but I also like tactical play. Variety for the win. I could play ONS for hours. WAR I cant. 1 map is usually enough for me.

Also the more I play this the more I hate the vehicle nerfing they did. I get kills with the manta but it just isn't as much fun with the skill taken out of the vehicle. Same goes for the poor old cicada. The only really fun ride in this is the fury and that's hardly in any maps and when I play those maps I usually end up on the axon side on a server that doesn't swap the stuff over at the end of the round and never get to use the thing.

What will save this game for me is custom maps with proper ride distribution and interesting tactical node layouts. I just hope there is some sort of player base by then cos ATM the active player base is lower than the player base of 2k4 and the numbers there have been in decline for years. Finding a playable server is a nightmare. I did help kickstart cains yesterday but the netcode this time around doesn't seem anything like as good. Cains is totally unplayable for me from the UK and I found the same thing trying other us servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy
                      1st off anyone getting stuck in 2k4 ons and taking 2 or 3 mins to get back into the action needs to get in touch with their suicide bind.

War is OK. It has potential to be great but the maps provided with the game are a real tactical void. The custom maps we ended up playing in 2k4 ons had far more tactical and interesting play. You could actually flank the other team with a well coordinated attack. In war all we get is constant spam at established and always open choke points and a linear node fight core to core. If you like spam its fine. I like spam but I also like tactical play. Variety for the win. I could play ONS for hours. WAR I cant. 1 map is usually enough for me.

Also the more I play this the more I hate the vehicle nerfing they did. I get kills with the manta but it just isn't as much fun with the skill taken out of the vehicle. Same goes for the poor old cicada. The only really fun ride in this is the fury and that's hardly in any maps and when I play those maps I usually end up on the axon side on a server that doesn't swap the stuff over at the end of the round and never get to use the thing.

What will save this game for me is custom maps with proper ride distribution and interesting tactical node layouts. I just hope there is some sort of player base by then cos ATM the active player base is lower than the player base of 2k4 and the numbers there have been in decline for years. Finding a playable server is a nightmare. I did help kickstart cains yesterday but the netcode this time around doesn't seem anything like as good. Cains is totally unplayable for me from the UK and I found the same thing trying other us servers.
                      That's a pity. I'm playing from the UK and my conection is fine.

Comment

Lots of info just gets dropped. For example you try to dodge and you dont. I tried the fury and it wouldnt hold a lock. It wouldnt even lock to a turret.... Manta wouldnt always jump. ETC. I checked my stats and had no packet loss reported at all and the ping was stable at 160 apart from a brief bout of 470 ping on torlan. Well it said 470 but the actual delay was 3 seconds or more at that point. All that lag wave manta surfing reminded me of primeval in the old days when the server got overloaded

Comment

What ISP and connection do you have? I'm on 20mb VM and it's smooth as butter.

Comment

I love this game it fast and it bloody fun

Comment

Originally posted by Darkrain371
                              I love this game it fast and it bloody fun
                              Great to hear DarkRain, Spread the word amongst your friends.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X