Moving to the top!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to the top!

Well, according to the Game Monitor Cain's (TF2) is ranked 93rd at the moment...just passed the 100 mark! That's a considerable jump from some 250 not too long ago.

Who's the #1 server? They better enjoy it while they can!

If we can figure out how to keep the server from dropping dead at 3-5 AM every single morning, we could make a run at the top 20.

I have no idea why this happens, so if anyone plays from 3-5AM EST let me know what is happening.

Comment

[this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
      So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

I sometimes stay up that late. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the server empties out because the EST people start going to bed and no one joins to take their place... Perhaps the game just isn't that popular in Asia

Comment

What about possibly adding some custom levels to the fray? There are some good ones out there (IMHO) already...

To name a few:
          Turbine V3 - fun CTF map
          Castle Final - very cool CP map with different sections (like dustbowl)
          420-Water - ok CP map with deadly water

The custom maps are only getter better and better and for a server to stay on top of things, they really need to be added to the fold at some point. Especially with TF2 which came with so few stock maps.

You can find a lot of them over at www.fpsbannana.com

One of the servers I play on that has a hybrid of custom maps and stock maps simply has the custom map download/redirect on their webserver so the bandwidth/load of downloading them for new players isn't impacted on the game server.

Comment

I do hear a lot of people ranting about the custom maps and even hear a few say they are gonna leave to go play some when there is a map on they don't like.

I have only played the original maps so don't looks at me.

Comment

I have played quiet a few custom maps. Some are good some are bad some take forever to play. One of my favs is Epic Center. (it was a redo from TFC days).

Comment

I have played on some custom map servers and they do provide a break from the official maps, which is good. They aren't all that great, but some are very playable.

There is redone version of Well that I totally love and a few others too.

One thing I am thinking of would be a lower respawn time. Not an instant respawn, as the maps we have are too small, but lower the time down if possible.

What we want is to keep people playing and happy, not sitting idly by.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTwinky
                  I have played on some custom map servers and they do provide a break from the official maps, which is good. They aren't all that great, but some are very playable.

There is redone version of Well that I totally love and a few others too.

One thing I am thinking of would be a lower respawn time. Not an instant respawn, as the maps we have are too small, but lower the time down if possible.

What we want is to keep people playing and happy, not sitting idly by.
                  I second that. Waiting 15 seconds to respawn during a fast, heated battle seems like forever.

Comment

AFAIK - there is nothing, server side, that can be done about spawn times, except to turn them off.
                    A change of Pace.
                    "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

You can modify the deliverred framework of each deliverred map and set the spawn times you want, from 0 to the default.

I read about this during the beta, would need to find the site that posted how to do so.

The guy who did it said the community had negative feedback when its an instant spawn as this map games last way longer than they should. We already discussed the instant respawn here and came to the same conclusion that the defending team, when defending the last point, would have a clear advantage.

There is a way to have various respawn times such as when the defending team is defending their 1st cap, they have instant respawn but when they are defending the last cap, they have 5,10 or whatever spawn timer.

But again, as pace said, no server settings allow you to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by L_Mo
                        I sometimes stay up that late. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the server empties out because the EST people start going to bed and no one joins to take their place... Perhaps the game just isn't that popular in Asia
                        yea same here, at times i be staying up playing till 2am, although the server is still going at 8vs8 but we also need the people from the west to keep it going.

btw: the only custom map i like so far is cp_warpath. its awesome.
                        Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                        Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X