Overlay PunkBuster Problem: X-Fire and Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overlay PunkBuster Problem: X-Fire and Steam

I've done some searching, and it seems to be a fairly widespread problem. There's even an article on it in the CoD4 Knowledge Base. If you have applications that insert an overlay over the game, like X-Fire, the Steam In-Game Community thing, some system monitoring tools, etc., you get kicked by PunkBuster for "Unknown Windows API." I've had to disable the Steam tool and close X-Fire every time I want to play.

Fraps doesn't seem to interfere though, luckily.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I bought the game through Steam.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you install the game through Steam or by DVD?

I'm hoping this issue gets fixed soon...
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

Sorry to hear you are having problems Robot.

I run both xfire and steam in the background while playing many different games and have never seen that message.

good luck sorting it out.

Comment

I'll have to look out for that. i haven't played online yet though.

Comment

I run steam in the background as well as TS2 and no issues at this time
        [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/vitopagano/CoD2/limeyfunny.jpg[/img]
        [img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/english911/admin.jpg[/img]
        [size=4][color=blue][url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url][/color][/size]

Comment

I'm having this issue with COD4. Never had it with any other game. I stopped xfire, and it still give me the same API error. :-(
          A change of Pace.
          "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

I bought it via Steam, and haven't had any problems.....yet. Don't generally use XFire, though I have it and could fire it up to see if it generates the same error for me. AFAIK, the steam community overlay works for me in COD4.

Comment

What I had to do was go into Steam View/Settings/In-game and un-check Enable Steam Community In-game.
              A change of Pace.
              "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Originally posted by paceman
                What I had to do was go into Steam View/Settings/In-game and un-check Enable Steam Community In-game.
                Yup, which is exactly what I had to do (as well as close X-Fire). Still no word about a fix yet...

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X