Your Doing it Wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Doing it Wrong!

So I found this article a bit ago, I was going to paste under the tips but I believe this may be a lot cleaner/easier accessible if it is its own entity.

Your Doing it Wrong!

Team Fortress 2 - as the name subtly suggests, you can’t be a lone wolf. It doesn’t matter if you’re the best Engineer since Scotty first rubbed against a warp drive, if you’re being held off the last dustbowl cp with two teles already up it’s time to don surgical gloves. Most players on TF2 servers can handle a few classes, but there’s always one mooching at the bottom of your “time played” table - and every second of those few minutes was spent swearing. Here we look at your weaknesses and tell you how to improve.

1. Scout

Symptom: You keep exploding! Or burning. Or just falling over dead when an enemy gives you a stern look.

The Problem: You really want that kill! You die because you allow an enemy to see you for more than a second. The Scout was never designed to go toe-to-toe with anything but a capture point, and even then only when he’s lucky. If you land two good hits of any description on anything your job is already done - your mission is now to escape before somebody decides you’re worth the splash damage. And for the love of god, when you’re chasing that retreating engineer, try to remember that they can build things that begin with Ess-Gee.

2. Soldier

Symptom: You consider the Soldier boring - you and your skills are more important than that!

The Problem: You know what’s really boring? A Team Fortress 2 server with two scouts, three snipers and four spies failing to hold a single CP for a single second. It turns out that in a game based on blowing the opposing team to smithereens, a man with a rocket launcher is pretty useful. A soldier is NEVER a bad addition to a team, now learn to rocketjump and rain splash-damage death down on the enemy!

3. Pyro

Symptom: You’re stuck at a 1:1 kill ratio, at best

The Problem: Argh, you REALLY want that kill! It doesn’t matter how “on fire” they are - running straight at someone who has a rocket launcher is ALWAYS a bad idea. If you want to be a good pyro learn to love the assist. Love it, want it, value it more than the kill - once an enemy is ignited your work is completed. Yes, you know they’re running for a medkit or a doctor - and every step they take back to that pickup is one they’re not taking towards their objective. A good enclosed space barbecue does far more damage than even the most critically sniped headshot - you and you alone can turn an entire offensive wave into a screaming pack of (burning) little girls, running home and crying for their medic mommy.

4. Demoman

Symptom: Even scouts beat you up, and that’s frankly embarrassing

The Problem: The Demoman requires an unprecedented level of tactical planning for an FPS, requiring you to think three, perhaps even four seconds ahead. It’s best to think of having a “personal space” radius of four meters, and anybody closer than that is way the hell TOO close. One-hitting scouts into chunky soup may be one of the best sights in this or any other game, but it’s not something to count on - back off and back often, lest you give the enemy the second best sight: an array of sparkling crit stickies disappearing from the CP in the white light of a demoman who died before his time.

5. Heavy

Symptom: Twenty deaths, no kills.

The Problem: Basic math misunderstanding - three hundred does not equal infinity.
    Also, scientists at the Fortress for Team studies recently proved that Heavy skulls actually magnetically attract sniper bullets. Suck them right out of the gun into their brains. Damnedest thing they ever saw. The Heavy isn’t the home of the keenest tactical mind on the team, but you still need some spatial awareness. Specifically, being aware of which spaces have medkits or snipers in them.

6. Engineer

Symptom: Tending a sentry gun is boring!

The Problem: The Engineer is actually a deeply exciting and rewarding class, as long as you focus on TEAM rather than your own score. It’s a critical indictment of human nature that this focus is so rare, but when it happens it can turn the whole tide of the battle. Helping other Engys raise level 3 sentries quickly rather than raising a patch of level 1s to be flattened by the first Soldier to look at them, constant spychecking, even a single good teleporter route can make all the difference.

Watching the filthy BLU tide breaking against the rocks of your defense (and professionally rebuilding within instants of the inevitable uber) is greatly entertaining - and the meaty thump of a wrench hitting a spy is the greatest sound in the Team Fortress audio files.

7. Sniper

Symptom: More deaths than kills.

The Problem: Valve has cunningly balanced the richly interlocking skillsets of all the classes, but one fact is unchangeable: if you’re a crappy shot you will be a crappy sniper. There’s an easy test - do you headshot the enemy sniper, or is it your brains splattered on the gravelpit? If the latter, hit that “,” key and choose a different class. You should also change if
    - Your team has a sniper with a higher score. No, it doesn’t matter who was there first.
    - There are more snipers than medics. Medics are ALWAYS better than snipers.
    - You find yourself catching fire, thereby proving you don’t even have the remotest idea of how you should be using that class

8. Medic

Symptom: You die before deploying an ubercharge/kritzkrieg.

The Problem: If you are not getting at least one complete charge per spawn you are failing as a medic. This problem has been particularly bad since the update, with hordes of demented doctors running around waving bonesaws like they’ve been possessed by Jason Vorhees (with a corresponding drop in intelligence). Your job is to heal people, get the hell out of there when things get rough, and help smash sentries to rubble.

9. Spy

The Symptom: You don’t like playing spy because you’re bad at it

The Problem: No problem! Keep it up, and god bless you for not being a spy!

If people who suck at spy would just stop wasting playerslots running around failing backstabs and catching themselves on fire the average TF2 IQ would increase tenfold. Every failed spy is a valuable bullet-absorbing soldier your team doesn’t have, extra points for their pyro, and at best - at best - all they’ll manage is to sap an unimportant dispenser for all of a second before they get spotted, desapped and shotgunificated. Even if Valve released a update with a “James Bond” class and a map called spy_espionage, there would STILL never be a good reason to have more than one spy per team.

(original article: here)

Obviously you dont know how to play the demo right under your description Demo is bad at close range, but its quite the contrary demo is the best class at close range and sucks at long(other than sticky camping which is more boring than being an engi) Demo is the hardest to learn class i learned how to shoot with a sniper in less time than it took me to learn demo. Demoman if played right though is easily top 1-2 on the score sheet and not due to kills but because of defences and destructions.

Demo all day er' day.

Comment

(I didnt write it - just copied/pasted)

Comment

This looks like some good info - thanks!

I definitely agree that demo is a hard class to learn. I prefer soldier cause of it's great ability in long and short ranges (plus splash damage!).

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
        - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

I like demo as well. Love laying a carpet of pretty blue bombs, and having an entire team turn the corner and "POOF" ..

The only toon I don't usually play is Engy and Spy.
          ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X