Best Game Serever CPU ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Game Serever CPU ???

When I built my last game server, AMD had edged ahead in the CPU/Server power game.

Now I see Intel has moved ahead again.

1) What is the advantage to two Dual core CPUs vs one Quad Core CPU ???

2) Can you have two Quad Core CPUs on one motherboard ??? Does anyone make that ??

3) What Server CPU will be the best for a high end game server ???

Thx !!

1) Not sure, but i believe 2 Dual Core's would be better

2) Not sure, havent heard of one, I may be wrong

3) Intel Xeon is the typical server cpu of choice, comes in single/dual/quad core, im not sure about much else, I dont/havent built a server

Comment

Re: Best Game Serever CPU ???

Originally posted by Cain
      When I built my last game server, AMD had edged ahead in the CPU/Server power game.

Now I see Intel has moved ahead again.

1) What is the advantage to two Dual core CPUs vs one Quad Core CPU ???

2) Can you have two Quad Core CPUs on one motherboard ??? Does anyone make that ??

3) What Server CPU will be the best for a high end game server ???

Thx !!
      1. None really, other than a few almost un noticable differences.

2. Yes. almost all motherboards capable of dual core processors will take a pair of quad cores. Tyan, IMO, is the best server board maker, and has a plethora of optins out there to do it. most server class mobo's are dual slotted. The Intel 5000p Server chipset has suppor and tyan does well to intregrate the SAS chipset. This board has an onboard SAS controller(refer to your previous post).

3. this depends on what you really are planning on running on it. if you have a gigabit backbone @ logic south, i'd say run 1 game per cpu. then, you just need tro decide how many instances you are going to be running of all the games. Intel's Woodcrest processors are Dual Core, vs the Cloverton's that are quad core. the X5365(cloverton) is the top end right now in the cloverton series, in terms of quadcore processors. they scale fairly well, but, when all 4 cores are used for one task, its not as pretty. the 5160 is one of the best dual core chips. The up and coming Harpertown chips are quad cores, but have a HUGE 12mb cache, as opposed to Cloverton's 2x4MB and woodcrests 4mb cache's. the Harpertown is the successor to clovertown. harpertown will be 1600mhz FSB chips here shortly. BUT, the top of the top will either be a X5450 or a X7350 Tigerton. personally bang for buck, i'd stick with the X5450.

Here's a good article. i haven't seen the 1600fsb counterpart "accessable" as of yet.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...2&id=2411&pg=7

Catch is most of these are aregoing to require FB-Dimms, which care rather costly....

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
      Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
        by Apache Warrior
        6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
      • Reply to 6 years
        by Sirex
        I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
        Just hit 2.5K miles...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
      • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
        by Sirex
        Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
      • Reply to Hell Let Loose
        by Sirex
        Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
      • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
        by Sirex
        Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
      Working...
      X