Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server options to think about

Stuff I have seen be successful in my several years:

All Talk:: Yes, I know leaking sentry gun points and perhaps when an uber is charged would be broadcast, but tbh in this game it moves so fast even notice or prior information does not matter. There's only so many good places for sentries, you know ubers are going after sentries for the most part.

The benefit is that mic chat spurs conversations, friendship, camaraderie, etc. I sniped Rand earlier and wanted to hear him say "dang it LAMONT." That stuff begets fun and return visits.

Few more seconds after rounds end: to hunt down the other team and for people to chat to do so! Rounds and maps change so quickly there's not much time for even a GG, or well played, or a bbl. etc.

For the UT lovers: There's 2k4 announcement mods out there you can add. Such as "dominating" etc etc. Or even non UT mods that when say a sniper goes on a 10 skill streak announces something.

More server pimping during play: MOTDs, timed announcements, say the beginning of every round, and only then perhaps to keep it clean, and non-intrusive. As we all know, the community is the gravy on top.

Rotation: It's obvious to me the most popular maps in TF2 today are Goldrush, Dustbowl, Badwater Basin. 2Fort kills servers, Granary kills servers. Customs also kill servers. The one lone map I might reccomend, and this is purely based on what I know of Cain and CTF-Maul and ONS-Primeval... CTF-Turbine. It's pretty close quarters, and old school hitscan works well. It's a place where scouts can have some fun too. The only other one I enjoy is Castle-4. It's where if you have teamwork, it shines brightly.

The rotation as is tho is great for popularity. TF2 players are fickle these days. Many did their custom to infinity map playing days and just want old school simple fragging. Just remember to push the damn cart. The TDM on PL maps like goldrush and hoodoo are gah!

This is 100% subjective with a small % of experience spliced in. Take it with a grain of salt. Ignore it. Just my thoughts after 3-4 total hours today at 32/32 most of the time.

And, as always,

I really appreciate the feedback !!!

Let's chat :

1) All Talk works great until we get more tha about 10 players, then it is to much and your team cannot plan and coordinate while the other team is listening. I am researching a plugin that enables all talk until the server reaches a preset number of players.

2) I call this "rape-age time" I increased it today from 10 secs to 12 seconds.

3) I can look at that, but it may be annoying with all the other stuff TF2 has going on...

4) All my Admins know to do this, particularly on voice and to welcome new players. I installed a plugin that every 60 secs displays a Chat message as well. But your point is well taken, and I keep reminding all of you that most players rarely remember where they are playing - so we want to be certain everyone knows who we are.

5) There are two issues I spend most of my time on. Map rotation and respawn times. I believe we finally have a great map rotation now, with 3 PL maps and one CP map. IF we get and stay busy longer we may see another map added and if/when the new TF2 patch comes out there is talk of new maps, so we will definitely see those...

Take care and thanks!!

-- Cain

Comment

I don't have much to add b/c 5 is really the biggest and as you already said you spend the most time on it. GL and Badwater imo bring people in off the streets best. Since they are there now, I think it's a great base to launch from.

The only one and it is debatable for sure is the all talk that I like. It can get spammy, and of course there's always individual mute options each player has. There are way to only allow all talk at the end of the round only, maybe that would be a nice split.

The every 60 sec plug-in is probably what I was leaning toward. Perhaps that can refresh as well at the beginning of a round if it does not already, since that is the time people actually have the time to read, lol.

On point 3, agreed. I think there are varying amounts of spam you can add. I know a limited one if you heard wicked sick you might be like o dam wicked sick in this game?

I'd love to hear more teamwork on the mic, haven't heard much today tbh.

Oh and kudos on rape-age time increases!
      Originally posted by Cain View Post
      I really appreciate the feedback !!!

Let's chat :

1) All Talk works great until we get more tha about 10 players, then it is to much and your team cannot plan and coordinate while the other team is listening. I am researching a plugin that enables all talk until the server reaches a preset number of players.

2) I call this "rape-age time" I increased it today from 10 secs to 12 seconds.

3) I can look at that, but it may be annoying with all the other stuff TF2 has going on...

4) All my Admins know to do this, particularly on voice and to welcome new players. I installed a plugin that every 60 secs displays a Chat message as well. But your point is well taken, and I keep reminding all of you that most players rarely remember where they are playing - so we want to be certain everyone knows who we are.

5) There are two issues I spend most of my time on. Map rotation and respawn times. I believe we finally have a great map rotation now, with 3 PL maps and one CP map. IF we get and stay busy longer we may see another map added and if/when the new TF2 patch comes out there is talk of new maps, so we will definitely see those...

Take care and thanks!!

-- Cain

Comment

Thought of something else, and perhaps it was already decided. I noticed hlx runs after a round ends, not sure if the freebie kills/stat padding is intended or not.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
        Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
          by Apache Warrior
          6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
        • Reply to 6 years
          by Sirex
          I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
          Just hit 2.5K miles...
          5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
        • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
          by Sirex
          Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
          5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
        • Reply to Hell Let Loose
          by Sirex
          Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
          5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
        • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
          by Sirex
          Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
          5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
        Working...
        X