Great commanding on conquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great commanding on conquest

Sometime this afternoon, maybe about 12 or so.

Do you guys like to fight when you command? When I do I dont go frontlines like I normally do, I will be either a sniper or engineer and hang a little back at the frontline flag. That is what it gets me, and sometimes alot better.
    This was on fall of berlin.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

You arent supposed to fight whikle commanding....thus called no pilot commanding.
    [url=http://2142-stats.com/baller4life+stats.html][img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/baller4life_player_650.png[/img][/url]
    [url=www.cainslair.com][img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n20/baller4life2468/bf2142sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Comment

How is flying fighting? It is alot easier to throw up the command screen in laying down behind cover compared to flying a ship.

Comment

Well yes bit you are supposed to just stay in one spot and command...do ur job
        [url=http://2142-stats.com/baller4life+stats.html][img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/baller4life_player_650.png[/img][/url]
        [url=www.cainslair.com][img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n20/baller4life2468/bf2142sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Comment

the point is it distracts you. It depends on how much micromanaging you need... how good your squads are.

Comment

ill fight on both titan and conquest, ill never pilot a vehicle tho.
            but most of the time ill fight in titan since commanders do like, nothing.

Comment

i see comanders doing this all the time and it really pisses me off if i'm in a vehicle and need supplys... it just makes the comander look greedy for points and not caring about the rest of the team especially when they are front line getting lotsa kills not caring about the round :P

Comment

Originally posted by baller4life2468
                Where does it say this?!?!?

there is usually a post line in the opening load screen advising against pilot commanders and I don't remember if it shows up ingame on the left upper screen with the other green Cain's lair messages.

2142 commander points come from how well his team does, so it makes sense for the commander to give sensible, accomplishable orders to the squads and support them as much as possible. Some ppl can do this and be able to fight as well, some ppl can't. Point is, he/she has paid for the game the same as you and I and they are entitled to play it the way they see fit as long as they aren't being an asshat ruining play for others. This includes the commander position. PPl have different skill levels ingame and some do great and others sux, but that is the joy of online gaming. Do I get annoyed when I see a commander running around the entire round fighting and not doing any commanding? Yes sometimes, but it is his decision to make. Keep in mind if he is out fighting the whole round making lots of points for himself and the team gets hardly any, his final score will be very poor, regardless of how many points he scored during play. If it really bothers you, apply for command yourself. If your rank doesn't make the cut during election, tough luck, he has earned more rank than you and that is part of the game.

Here is a question, have you played commander a lot? I had over a hundred hours in BF2 and let me tell you, when your team is discoordinated rookies and 1 person primo dona allstars, life is very hard behind the headset as you get blamed for EVERYTHING, even when they dont do a thing you tell em too. Plus you get to put up with the drunk/stoned guys that make no sense, the spammers, the cursers, and the guys just there making life miserable for you because they think it's fun to mess with you. And very rarely will you receive any praise.
                Having a great team is joy to behold, as most good squads allready know what to do and just need a "big picture" input from you and an occasional spot of enemy troops and armor. but either way, good or bad, it takes time to learn to command well and know what needs to be done.

With that said, it is great to have a commander that knows his stuff and gives you supplies and spots out everything and drops beautiful artillery strikes, but again, this is a learned skill.
                The asshat commanders who drop arty on friendlies, and other stupid stuff like giving enemies supplies generally don't last long and can be reported in the jerk thread. I've taken screenies that have gotten commanders like this banned before.
                Most fall into the middle somewhere, command is a tough job, give em a break.

Now as to actively fighting while commanding, I have seen a couple that can do it and command well. If there is a bunch of armor sitting around unused, there is no point letting an infiltrator grab it and commander can defend assets as well as anybody. Most will need to spend more time in "command screen" display and this is a distraction and doesn't lend well to active fighting and absolutely no piloting an air vehicle. Depends on his skill level and what he wants to accomplish. Commanders seem more needed on conquest mode, titan is nice to have a good one, but doesn't seem as critical as conquest.

It's just a game, not a competition that your livelihood depends on. Play for FUN!!!!!!!!!

Tiger_Shilone

Comment

i agree with tiger, baller i hardly actually take that back i have never ever seen u command once, and i have for a couple of rounds, trust me people will ask you ur age ect ect. just random crap and i try to also give motivation to the squads like Good job guys, and u guys are great at taking silos, or this one if we lose, Guys it doesnt matter if we lost in game, ur all winners to me.

Baller if u dont know urself to do ur job sunday night i told all of you to defend the titan and u got bored started complaining and u left and well who came after u left with half the squad leaving me with one person to help defend why the whole team of the eu and we wasted them all so as far as u being bored hmmm i guess ur just a repellent to enemies..

Comment

i only said no.. for conquest... for titan i usually take a transport and run around as a pod launcher to where i want people. Or i take a good sniper placement and snipe while between uavs. Scanns on titan don't seem to do as much, neither do call outs of specific units.

Comment

i believe it truly depends on how much micro you possess. this is your first time commanding? well then you should stop, find a safe spot and do your job with 100% of your attention. going for your 1,000th win as com? by all means show us your micro. When i com it mainly depends on my team. do i have leaders that request supplies and UAV's? do i have a team working group? how many unassigned people do i have? tactical commanders are only as good as their squads.

i never cross midfield when i com no matter how far we get. my front lines push in a tactical manor if i can get them too while i stay behind and revive and heal the wounded and the whole team will know i am doing it. every time i go into the com window i have a hub out and every one on my team can come get heals if the choose to. the only major kills i get when i com is i especially own people that try to MGS to our back lines. i see them coming i find the best owning point i go there and wait then own them.

it is just a show of how good you can multi task. if your a *bad* com and only do front lines stuff and repeatably ignore my pings for supplies i can always mutiny and explane it over the chat system.

EDITED by Rand for language.

Comment

Voted no. As some of the other guys stated, some people can fight and command well, but I'm not one of them. IMO there's far too much going on in game (especially 64 man servers) that's to easy to miss. A commander who consistantly spots out enemies is invaluable. SAT Track refreshes every 15 or 20 seconds, and should be used the instant it pops up. There's really no way you can do this and fight effectively at the same time. All it takes is one enemy to slip through the cracks and capture a back flag (say on Berlin or Camp G) to open up the entire map and change the whole game.

In turn, if you're on the attacking team, and one of [i]your[i] guys busts through and is trying to cap a flag by himself, it's far more important that you spot anyone bearing down on him who's trying to prevent him from getting the cap. You just can't do all these things while fighting, defending yourself, and being part of the fight in general. And, if you die, it takes you completely out of the game for 15 seconds rendering you utterly useless to your team. Basically as commander, you can more or less provide a constant UAV for your team (to an extent), even when the actual UAV is not active.

I'm only speaking for myself and from personal experience. I don't want to make this post sound like there is a right, or wrong way to command. To each his own.

Comment

Early Monday morning, I was on CQ, when we all noticed there was no commander. Decided we needed one and dived in, taking one for the team. Great fun. Did 2-3 rounds as commander, and my squads kept me happy, and I kept them happy. We totally kicked tail.

End result, I got several hundred points as commander, first LT, and some very happy team players. I'd rather be in a squad letting Major Massacre blow my tank up than doing commander, but we do what we must.

I'll protect my base when possible, but you won't see this old man crashing the front lines as commander. It gets very busy for me, as I'm planning where I need what, and Singing out leaker information on VOIP. Even drop some EMP strikes just to totally mess with them.

Spamming UAV's, Supplies, and coordinating Sat scan with orbital strike timer takes some juggling. Do it right and everything synch's right in.

You are right though, sometimes it gets boring, that's why I prefer playing squadie.
                          ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Originally posted by baller4life2468

You can fight and do your job at the same time. I've seen it done a lot.

I think you should be able to fight if you continue to command.

Comment

Depends.

On Titan, commander can usually sit and defend all game while still being effective. On Conquest, only in low population servers can the commander truly do his job and fight at the same time.

The more players that are on the battlefield, the harder and more time-consuming it is to keep track of all of them. If there is no commander on like a half-filled conquest 64 map, I'll do the job and maybe pick a few people off as I see the need. But once the server fills, theres just too much going on not to be glued to that commander screen.

Anyone can be a commander and do it poorly. Its more than just throwing up an occasional UAV or orbital barrage...you are the eyes and ears of your team. Yes, having fun is the goal, but as commander your job is also to ensure your team has fun by winning the game (if they can).

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X