Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting read

http://www.prounreal.com/?t=73341&f=180

This is an interesting article that helps clarify any confusion about ut3 server hosting issues.

So if you've ever heard someone say one of the reasons ut3 sucks is because of its server support. You'll be able to understand why after reading the article.

Note: For the tech savvy or anyone with hosting background this is kind of common sense.

interesting read. May cause some problems... but only if the game picks up.
    right now, any time i go into the server browser everything is empty.

I really doubt all the gamers in the world are so biased against windows that they'd refuse to even buy the game if it doesn't have unix based servers...

tonight was the only night i saw a full server in the last few days.. and it was cains...

the rest? a list of zeros', and the occational number seemingly always less than ten (even on the 32 man severs.)

I admit.. i may have been browsing at the wrong times.. but still. so many servers empty still means something.

(so everyone go out there and brainwash everyone you know that games into buying ut )

I just had a thought.. i wonder if midway is holding the advertising till the game gets released on ps3?... everyone seems to love consoles over pcs any more.

Comment

Originally posted by MoleRat
      I just had a thought.. i wonder if midway is holding the advertising till the game gets released on ps3?... everyone seems to love consoles over pcs any more.
      I had the same thought. Even then, I wouldn't expect to see too much.

Midway Games income for the last 12 months is NEGATIVE $69.7 million dollars. Shareholders must be really happy at $-0.77 a share.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/companyreport?Symbol=mwy
      Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

The empty servers might also be a result of 4 beta patches floating around.
        Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

May be

Comment

Originally posted by Grisu
            The empty servers might also be a result of 4 beta patches floating around.
            No. It's just that right now hardly anyone is playing. Beta 4 works just fine.
            --Slaughter

Comment

Originally posted by MoleRat
              interesting read. May cause some problems... but only if the game picks up.
              right now, any time i go into the server browser everything is empty.

I really doubt all the gamers in the world are so biased against windows that they'd refuse to even buy the game if it doesn't have unix based servers...
              on a technical level, you're right, the average gamer would not care if a game has the ability to host games on unix.

But on a gameplay level, yes, they care. When TF2 was released there was no shortage of servers. You could find one with a decent amount of people with relative ease. The reason for this is because it had solid server support BEFORE the game was released. People were able to host servers with ease and fairly cheaply.

In the article, there is information about how poor windows servers are compared to any unix server (or any linux kernel for that matter) One of the main reasons unix servers are better is because, unix is free. In fact, most linux kernels are. They are also more efficient.

Not having low ping, quality servers during the demo, or even the release hurt unreal tournaments 3 player base without a doubt. For example some of the best servers (aka Cain's) ARE CRASHING.

If your cream of the crop is crashing then is going to hurt your player base!

Comment

I don't know why Cain's would be crashing. I've only had two crashes since the release even back when they were packed. That was before any of the beta patches. I'm not currently reading about crashes from other admins. Setup issues for some and NAT problems for others, minor quirks and missing features to be sure; but not crashing.
                --Slaughter

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                  by Apache Warrior
                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                • Reply to 6 years
                  by Sirex
                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                  by Sirex
                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                  by Sirex
                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                  by Sirex
                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                Working...
                X