buying new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying new computer

hey guys i'm buying a new computer. i want to spend around 2200 on it.

any recommendations?

how does this look?
    http://www.buyxg.com/system/XG_Xion_9000/

#1 Recommendation, unless you have a time constraint, always build one, save yourself an easy $200 - $300 sometimes, and will only take you 2-4 hours to build depending on experience

#2 Overall good build, some items could be better, but I dont know much about AMD and would go with an Intel

Comment

i looked at the specs and they looked pretty damn good to me. i'm not into building b/c thats too much trouble and i'm lazy haha. but i mean does that computer look good? or does anybody else have any other recommendations or people i could go to buy from?

Comment

I know you already said your lazy and what not but prebuilt is bad! You only get good hardware in certain areas of the spec, while the rest is junk and or unnecessary.

The price tag is huge on that rig for what you get. You should be expecting a Intel Quad at the very least. And if i'm reading it right... GTX in Sli? that's a joke in itself.

And at the very end... what do they do? On board audio. Need i say more?

Comment

good point and i understand what you saying. i guess i'm stubborn but i'm not going to order parts and put it together at my house :P
          So if you guys have any websites or anything of people who sell gaming rigs can you help? pllllllllllleassee

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro
            good point and i understand what you saying. i guess i'm stubborn but i'm not going to order parts and put it together at my house :P
            So if you guys have any websites or anything of people who sell gaming rigs can you help? pllllllllllleassee
            My local store and the best etailer in Europe sells pre built rigs for every purpose. Surely there must be places in the US like you say. But, expect them to charge a premium.

Stop being stubborn. It'll cost you a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere.

Like th3st1ck said. You'll lose about $200, possibly more. And if you think about it. That could be technically a free 22" widescreen LCD.

Comment

true, but i don't think i have enough knowledge to do all that. i'm gonna have to talk to a couple friends

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro
                true, but i don't think i have enough knowledge to do all that. i'm gonna have to talk to a couple friends
                It's really not all that bad, I built my first computer with barely any help at all, its mostly just connecting plugs, which is very easy

Comment

hows this look?

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=1

Comment

Ship all the parts to my house and I'll build it for you, Jeffro. If you need any convincing, I have plenty of referrals.

Here's a pic of my friend's rig that I built for him:

http://www.wtslair.com/ProjectC2D/Casepic%20004.jpg
                    http://www.wtslair.com/ProjectC2D/Casepic%20005.jpg

Total cost to him was $775-$75 in rebates, and my labor and whatnot were .. hmmm, what did that come to .. ummm, yea ... FREE.

I would do this in a heartbeat if I knew how to safely ship it back to you. Bad part of shipping a full case is how banged up they can get in shipment. I rarely ever get damaged boxes from just the parts, but an entire PC is a different story.
                    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

There are several websites that will build the computer for you at a decent price... I just finished pricing one together at www.velocitymicro.com and it wasn't too bad. Some other websites to check out are...

www.Maingear.com has a nice rig of just over $2200. here's the specs from what I pieced together..

case- Silver brushed aluminum finish w/ transparent side window
                      750w PSU from Maingear
                      Nvidia Nforce 680i SLI motherboard
                      Intel e6850 Core 2 (3ghz)
                      Zalman CPU cooler
                      Corsair XMS2 DDR2 pc 6400 2x1gb RAM
                      WD 500GB Caviar harddrive
                      20x dual layer DVD +-RW w/ Lightscribe technology (x2)
                      Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512mb
                      Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound card
                      Windows XP pro

and of course if you want you can ship me the parts as well and I can UPS the computer back to ya, I should have a box large enough to ship it back in. If you need references, I can have those for you ASAP. Just finished building a computer for a friend who is shiping out to Korea in Feburary and am in the middle of building another computer for a friend here on base.
                      [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

hmm interesting. thats a pretty good offer only thing bad is shipping, ups bangs the crap out of everything. i def want a geforce 8800 and around 2 gigs of ram.

Comment

ok is a 8800gt vs gts that big of a difference? like can i play everything i want with a gt?

Comment

You can wrap up the pc enough to avoid damage if you use packing peanuts and bubble wrap, The UPS Store has those in good supply.
                            [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

what about a dell xps 720 with a 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX. its around 2100. oh and also i'm not paying for this haha, so don't worry about if i'm getting ripped or not lol.

My Components
                              Intel? Core?2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
                              Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium
                              2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs
                              500GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
                              Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
                              No Monitor
                              768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
                              Sound Blaster? X-Fi? XtremeGamer (D) Sound Card
                              Dell USB Keyboard
                              Dell Optical USB Mouse
                              No Floppy Drive or Media Reader Included
                              No Modem Requested
                              My Software & Accessories
                              No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
                              Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months
                              Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
                              My Service
                              1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support
                              Free 10GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Year
                              No ISP requested
                              Also Includes
                              Windows Vista? Premium
                              Adobe? Acrobat? Reader 8.1
                              XPS, Specialized Support
                              No Entertainment software pre-installed

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X