Client-side data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client-side data?

Tails and I haven't been in the multiplayer much because I figured both of our accounts would get deleted when we uninstalled CoD4 and reinstalled it on both computers. Are the ranks/unlocks/etc. held on our side, or the server side?

I noticed in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty 4\players\profiles that there was a "MPDATA" file listed under both of our account folders. So, could we just copy these files and reenter them back into these folders once Call of Duty is installed on both computers? I wasn't sure if this is how CoD4 stores ranks and unlocks, so I wanted to check before we took two steps forward now and two steps back in a week or so.

Re: Client-side data?

Originally posted by Kenshin Himura
    Tails and I haven't been in the multiplayer much because I figured both of our accounts would get deleted when we uninstalled CoD4 and reinstalled it on both computers. Are the ranks/unlocks/etc. held on our side, or the server side?

I noticed in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty 4\players\profiles that there was a "MPDATA" file listed under both of our account folders. So, could we just copy these files and reenter them back into these folders once Call of Duty is installed on both computers? I wasn't sure if this is how CoD4 stores ranks and unlocks, so I wanted to check before we took two steps forward now and two steps back in a week or so.
    I believe that is correct, it is all held client side
    [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/vitopagano/CoD2/limeyfunny.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/english911/admin.jpg[/img]
    [size=4][color=blue][url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url][/color][/size]

Comment

That was fast, Limey.

Good to hear, though. Tails and I haven't been in there much because we were afraid that we'd just lose everything in an few weeks. Hopefully, this will work and we can just load the files and keep what we've gotten.

Thanks.

Comment

Stats are definitely stored client-side, right there in the mpdata file. However, I was doing some searches, and the general consensus is that multiplayer info is locked to the CD key used to obtain it. So if you guys have just been using one CD key for both accounts, when you migrate the profile over to the new key, it'll be recognized as invalid.

EDIT: Yup, I just checked the CoD4 FAQ to be sure.

Question:
        When I changed my CD key all my multiplayer stats and unlockables were reset. Can I get them back?

Answer:
        Your CoD 4 multiplayer stats are tied to your CD key. Therefore entering another valid key will cause your stats and everything you?ve unlocked in multiplayer to reset. Once you start to level up your profile and begin to unlock weapons, do not change your CD key or your stats will be reset.
        The link is too long to post, so just go to www.activision.com/support, click CoD4 PC on the left hand side, and search for "stats".

Comment

That's.... interesting.

I don't think I did anything special but I .. um.. changed CD keys when I was at rank 30 or so (when Cain's lair started hosting a server). My stats were just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by L_Mo
            That's.... interesting.

I don't think I did anything special but I .. um.. changed CD keys when I was at rank 30 or so (when Cain's lair started hosting a server). My stats were just fine...

Comment

Copy them to another location before you uninstall and then copy them back after you reinstall.
              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

So... Installing the files under a different CD key is going to wipe them anyway? Or, maybe we'd get lucky like L_Mo?

I wish we had something to test this out on. If we could install the second copy somewhere we could see what would happen when we replaced the files. Unfortunately, we don't an external hard-drive or anything else that we could use.

Looks like we're back to skipping out on the multiplayer rounds for the next few weeks.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                  by Apache Warrior
                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                • Reply to 6 years
                  by Sirex
                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                  by Sirex
                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                  by Sirex
                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                  by Sirex
                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                Working...
                X