Along with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Along with

I wanted to thank you guys for the info you gave me on the 8800 series. That is what I am going with. I want to update my CPU. I have a A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo, which when I bought my gear to build was pretty good. Now I see that they discontinued that mobo and it was a 939 socket. Now I want to get the AMD 3.2 ghz but I see that it's a AM2 I guess socket. But it is still an AMD X2 series which my mobo supports. Do the sockets change with every new CPU or are they just changing the 939 socket lets say, to a new name of AM2??????

if i remember right the am2 (which i have) is a different structure from the 939's
    the sockets are different (at least i'm told that), so answer is you'd need a new mb.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
    ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

ug. i hate to confuse you more....

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175

There an update on the 800 cards to buy. still recommend the GT512 8800 card though.

to answer yoyr question. AM2 is not compatible with 939. they come out with a new socket for every new "grade" of processor every few years. you will have to upgrade the mother board to use an am2 socket processor.

and for the performance, you can either go with a good new lga775 Intel mobo/cpu combot, or there are some fairly inexpensive am2/phenom processor combos out. it really depends on your budget.

what cpu do you have for your 939 mobo? mauyhaps there is a cheap upgrade considering they are phasing out the 939 chips art clearence prices?

The X2 monikor designates that it is a Dual Core Processor. nothing more.

Comment

Also depends on your resolution. If your playing at 1680x1050 or above your current CPU won't bottleneck an 8800 as much as you think. Currently running my old faithful AMD64 3200+ with a 8800GTS.

Comment

I have a amd 2.2ghz 4400+ toledo. Going to have 1 8800 don't know yet which one. Looking for a little more juice. LOL my mobo is no longer made and now cpu's are old man what a year and a half does.

Comment

The AMD architecture as it stands was:

S939 - older model, discontinued - highest CPU support was either an FX 62 or an Opteron 185.

AM2 - newest design, but not any more than a 10% improvement over the 939.

Intel is now lauded for offering only one platform for a few years compared to AMD, the 775 socket, but even that means nothing when you remember that their older boards don't support newer architecture due to the higher FSB settings and the lower voltage requirements.

The 4400+ is going to be a slight bottleneck, but similar to the Asrock boards with their AGP and PCIe support (albeit at 4x instead of 16x) it won't make enough difference in game playing to justify a complete dump of your existing hardware unless you REALLY like to spend money.

I'm lucky enough to have one of said ASrock boards and I'm moving from the S939 socket to an AM2 5000+ Black Edition (unlocked multiplier, best overcloking chip AMD makes) simply by popping a CPU upgrade card in place on that board.
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
              The 4400+ is going to be a slight bottleneck, but similar to the Asrock boards with their AGP and PCIe support (albeit at 4x instead of 16x) it won't make enough difference in game playing to justify a complete dump of your existing hardware unless you REALLY like to spend money.
              True. the ASrock boards while @ 4x pcie, suffer very little with the 7x00 cards. i am not sure how they handle with the 8x00 series though. Limey's 7900 GT OC AC3 is only MARGINALLY slower than if it were dropped into a similiar rig with a 16x. its been proven time and time again, you never use all the bandwidth provided by 16x lanes, and now that we have pcie2.0 on the way, i am not sure how much of even that we are going to use...

Comment

ok give me the bottom line. i want the 8800 series, which i will get after xmas. i have a amd 4400+, asus a8n-sli deluxe which is 939 socket. will my 8800 be bottle necked? i really wanted to upgrade to a 3.0+ghz cpu but none for my board. so......... let me have it, tell me what to get....especially for crysis. mobo,vid card,cpu??

Comment

depends on when your buying. post christmas or pre? and what resolution do you want to run it at?

Comment

Probably after xmas and res I normally keep low for some reason. 1152x864. I may try higher, but even when my 7800 gtx was new I kept it at that or the one right above that.

Comment

and what budget do you have?

Comment

Don't have one. Figured gpu-450.00 cpu-179.00 mobo-150.00-250.00.

Comment

8800GT
                          E6750/Q6600
                          Abit IP-35/Abit IP-35Pro

Comment

8800 will do. I am an AMD man though.

Comment

Originally posted by AoDHoLyWaR
                              8800 will do. I am an AMD man though.
                              So you don't mind paying similar amounts for a lot less performance? I'm an AMD fan too, and my current rig is based around one of their chips. I'm upgrading to a C2D or C2Q next year though as it's the only good option out there.

Even the new Phenom CPU's are under performing.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X