Not your father's 8800 GTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not your father's 8800 GTS

I am posting this here so Jeffro doesn't shoot himself with more confusing versions.

But this is not the same 8800GTS we were talking about one day ago. Same name new architecture.

"Generally, you don't see many products released in December. It's getting a little too late to make dramatic impacts on Q4 earnings as many have already done their holiday shopping. If a company is going to release a new product this late in the year, there's generally a good reason for it, or it's simply a product we'll never see.

At the end of October NVIDIA introduced its GeForce 8800 GT, based on a brand new 65nm GPU codenamed G92. The 8800 GT quickly outclassed virtually every NVIDIA GPU, making most of the G80 lineup obsolete by offering better performance at lower prices. A higher end incarnation of the 8800 GT's G92 was inevitable, we just didn't expect to see it this soon.

The GPU is the same, we're still looking at a G92 derivative part, but the card is all new: the GeForce 8800 GTS 512. "

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175

Just noticed that today they have shown up for sale @ OcUk. But damn! The price!

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (512-P3-E841-AR)
    ?246.74 ($500)

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
      Just noticed that today they have shown up for sale @ OcUk. But damn! The price!

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (512-P3-E841-AR)
      ?246.74 ($500)
      still cheaper than a GTX, but with better performance!

Comment

I must be missing the part where it actually says "free gift,"

Where is it?
        [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus

?246.74 ($500)
          what? It doesn't win over the GTX....it's close, but the GTX has more on top scores
          [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbatc
            Originally posted by darth_nevus

?246.74 ($500)
            what? It doesn't win over the GTX....it's close, but the GTX has more on top scores
            http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175&p=3

not unless the gtx is better than the ultra.

but, it does depend on the game. for what i play, the g92 gts beats the gtx. also it depnds on the settings. with less memory, it struggles higher up.

Comment

so should i get that?

lol j/k

Comment

jeffro, the gt still is the best bang for the buck.

Comment

Sorry for butting in but isnt there a 1gig version out now too?

Comment

Originally posted by CheebaNinja
                    Sorry for butting in but isnt there a 1gig version out now too?
                    That's Asus's special off the mills project. they are the only ones offering it. i'd love to see what it does though, on the gt front. thing is, the 512gts has more stream processers, but it lacks the pixel fill rates of the gtx because of a nuetered set of ROP's.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                    Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                    widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X