Question about what i can do about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about what i can do about...

for some reason my ping on the COD4 server has been going from 90 to 150 in no time at all. Do I call TWC and have them check the route or maybe increase the packit flow? If someone can help please let me know.

First port of call. Do you use a router? Have you done a traceroute to the servers IP?

Comment

I have a few suggestions.

Spyware scan
      Virus scan
      Defrag
      that is if you don't already religiously do it.

Hope you get it figured out.

Comment

Any background programs running that may be causing the problem? Downloads at the same time as gaming can be pretty bad on connections, but I have found that too many other programs (xfire and such) running at the same time can screw with my gaming. But my PC is also a dinosaur, so that could be the issue.
        [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
        So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

Re: Question about what i can do about...

Originally posted by UsmcTexan99
          for some reason my ping on the COD4 server has been going from 90 to 150 in no time at all. Do I call TWC and have them check the route or maybe increase the packit flow? If someone can help please let me know.
          You can check the route yourself - just download the prog called "PingPlotter" (the full version is free for 30 days), input the server's IP address into "Address to Trace" field, and click on "trace" button. It will show you where exactly the problem lies and you can make screenshots of your results and send then to TWC or something.
          Oh, and if by TWC you mean "TimeWarner Cable" - it really is a normal thing with them (to have high pings, low connection speeds, packet loss) I used to have them as my ISP - was the worst experience I've ever had (and I've had plenty of ISP's to try out, from Covad and Speakeasy's DSL services to Verizon's FIOS).

Comment

Or go here.

http://www.cainslair.com/guides.htm

Cain's already got a guide up.

Comment

I have been using a great trace tool since the days I played Ultima Online in the mid - late 1990s. It was developped in the early days of MMOs to allow you to see which one of their worlds you had the best connection to, but is still an awesome tool available on their website and can be used to trace and ping any IP

http://www.uo.com/downloads.html

Should be one of the top in their list

And its free

Comment

Re: Question about what i can do about...

Originally posted by random_id
                Originally posted by UsmcTexan99
                You can check the route yourself - just download the prog called "PingPlotter" (the full version is free for 30 days), input the server's IP address into "Address to Trace" field, and click on "trace" button. It will show you where exactly the problem lies and you can make screenshots of your results and send then to TWC or something.
                Oh, and if by TWC you mean "TimeWarner Cable" - it really is a normal thing with them (to have high pings, low connection speeds, packet loss) I used to have them as my ISP - was the worst experience I've ever had (and I've had plenty of ISP's to try out, from Covad and Speakeasy's DSL services to Verizon's FIOS).
                If your cable modem it could be your neighbors as cable modem is a shared medium.

Comment

If you have a wireless router, could be that there is no security setup and people are leeching off of your connection.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                  Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X