PS3 version is loads of fun...my impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 version is loads of fun...my impressions

Well after my first trial run w/ the PS3 version it's been a pleasure to play so far on the console.

Graphics
    Now anything recent would play this game better than my clunker rig but visually the PS3 does a really good job in this dept. If one had to make a comparison to the PC version my best guess would be World Detail 3, Texture Detail 3 at 1280x720. Not sure on any AA/AF as I'm playing on a projector screen rather than a typical HDTV size.

Here's some SS (3MP camera w/o flash on Epson 400 projector in Living Room mode):

WAR-Torlan
    [urlhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/KurlonT/PC%20Games/DSCN2621.jpg]WAR-Downtown[/url]
    WAR-Dusk

You do have the option to change Post Processing like the PC vr. but haven't messed w/ it yet.

Menu Navigation
    For controllers it's fairly straight forward but for KB+M users it's a bit different in that you still need the controller for some things. The KB+M will do things like scroll, back and accept functions but since there's not a cursor you still need the controller for the menu selections at the top and some extra options like remapping the KB.

Framerate Impressions
    Overall very smooth and only in a few cases w/ full bots and heavy action online in a particular spot did I see any real slowdown. Even that was brief but so far playing just Warfare it's been a very nice experience.

KB+M Gameplay
    Very smooth but you will need to tweak the mouse sensitivity a bit as default IMO was a bit high. There's an obvious trade off in that your twitch reaction will be reduced but so far I haven't noticed a big impact. Some things still require the controller (so far as I'm still figuring this out) like Orders and Teleport locations. Movement includes wall dodging and dodging but no manual crouching. Dodging is simplified to just moving a certain direction and hitting space on the KB.

Online Gameplay
    Actually very good for the first weekend as I found several dedicated EPIC Warfare servers and most averaged 10-14 players (16p max) but there's alot of players coming in and out probably to test out each game type. So far they only have Avalanche in the rotation but I assume this is just to see how network performance fares using a PS3 as a dedicated server.

Just like the PC version there's VOIP issues but w/ no voice chat indicator it's hard to tell if someone sets it up wrong in the game, on the console or both. Also there's no text chat which is a pro and con but they do have the Friends List, Invite, Send Message and Follow Friend functions.

Stats and Hosting UT3
    They do have a Leaderboard w/ the same setup as the PC version but
    haven't checked it out in detail. So far the only way you can have UT3 server is to have the game and the PS3 set to listen or dedicated mode. Hopefully they make a dedicated server file when the mod package is released but getting a second PS3 is probably cheaper than building a server if your starting from scratch.

Sound
    Well on a 5.1 setup w/ HT speakers this game does some impressive floor rumbling. The sound effects are what you expect from the PC version only a bit more immersive. For example when you walk into the cave on Avalanche there's a noticeable echo to weapons and movement which is pretty cool...not that when 10 players are blasting each other will you pick up on it...

Spider Mines...errr...Bugs
    There's reports of game freezes and login disconnects and I've experience each one but that was over 5hrs of gameplay which happened once. Game freeze did require a PS3 shutdown but I have a feeling it was related to the server crashing or rebooting while I was connecting. The login disconnect happened once with about 4hrs already logged in online so hard to pinpoint that one. I know w/ the PC version it does that after each round and only stays connected if I put the IP in a DMZ.

Conclusion
    For the console side it's well worth it if you like these types of games as there's really nothing like it on the PS3. Action is still that controlled chaos kind of feel w/ UT even on the "slower" PS3 version. On a nice HDTV w/ a 5.1 HT setup it really rocks for those days you just want to hop in a blast stuff...

Arrrg...second SS is supposed to be this:

WAR-Downtown

Comment

So the blue tint is built into the PS3 version right now, and isn't a side effect of your projector? It looks like the pc demo before .ini edits to remove that effect.

-Rand
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

the projector looks like a lot of fun to play on
        My wife doesn't love me enough o allow me to get 1 but i don have a 56'' TV Im already begging for the 70''.

Not to hi jack your thread with projector talk, i did wanna mention there is a cheap 175 dollar projector for the wii (it probably isnt that good but its cheap) for kids or for parents who want there kids to have it all

Comment

PS3 the way it was meant to be played?

Seems like they have put a lot more work into this version than the pc one.
          Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

So the blue tint is built into the PS3 version right now, and isn't a side effect of your projector?
            That's from my Projector when set to Living Room mode as this outputs a brighter picture when you have some ambient light in the room (to see the KB). My movie watching temp is at a warmer 6500 degrees when I have no lights on but Living Room bumps this up to 8000 thus the cooler or blue-ish tint.

Seems like they have put a lot more work into this version than the pc one.
            I'm not sure as the console version does have it's share of bugs but it's nice knowing I don't have to tweak anything to run the game at it's best.

the projector looks like a lot of fun to play on
            Yep it's a totally different experience playing on a 84" screen with a 720p projector (helps to have everything wireless or bluetooth) but I would love to see it on a 1080p HDTV or projector.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
              by Apache Warrior
              6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
            • Reply to 6 years
              by Sirex
              I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
              Just hit 2.5K miles...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
            • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
              by Sirex
              Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
            • Reply to Hell Let Loose
              by Sirex
              Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
            • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
              by Sirex
              Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
            Working...
            X