LMG weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LMG weapons

I've been going through the weapon challenges, and I'm currently working on the LMG weapons. It's taking me a lot longer to get the headshots required for these guns. I'm wondering - what "role" do you find effective for the light machine guns?

I've tried the run-and-gun style I used with the P90, using double-tap and steady aim. However, since your mobility is so low, it's not terribly effective. A SMG or rifle does so much more damage at close range, I just get wasted.

The best I've come up with is using it as a poor sniper rifle. I use the red dot sight, stopping power and deep impact. However, it makes a very poor replacement for a sniper rifle (or even an assault rifle) at long range. I've occasionally found it helpful to send a wall of bullets towards a group of people down range, but the gun is so flashy that it attracts snipers quickly, so I can't sit in one spot very long.

So, to me, it's not as good as a SMG or shotty close range, but not as good as a rifle long range. Is there any role the LMGs fill that can't be done better with another weapon? Or is the only advantage the 100-round clip?

I can't help you too much here, but I see people using it effectively on street fire fights if you know what I mean.

As in 1 side is hiding behind cars and another side is hiding behind other cars shooting at each other.

Comment

I've seen people mostly using them to camp doorways or popular paths the enemy travels at a medium distance. I normally get killed from a guy hiding behind a barrel or down a hallway with the LMG's. I use to run and gun with the m60 and found out it wasn't as good as I first thought for that type of play.

BTW, "Sleight of Hand" is a great perk to use with these weapons.

MD

Comment

Perk one- Extra ammo
        Perk two- Double tap
        Perk three- Steady aim

Run and get behind enemy lines or sit in heavy traffic areas, works good for me and plenty of action.

Comment

Originally posted by unorignal
          Perk one- Extra ammo
          Perk two- Double tap
          Perk three- Steady aim

Run and get behind enemy lines or sit in heavy traffic areas, works good for me and plenty of action.
          I disagree. I'd go with extra grip if possible, Double tap or Stopping power. Either is good and lastly definitely Deep impact. Deep impact is very handy for drilling people through walls especially if you have a ton of ammo like a LMG, Steady aim gets you nothing unless your unscoped. the best thing for me was to not run to engage the enemy but, kinda set up and wait for em. Like on Crossfire you can setup in a few positions that give you a good view diagonally across the street at a few choke points. These spots also don't leave you as open to snipes as you would think. Although I'm generally killed by other LMG users with the Deep Impact perk....

Comment

I've become rather fond of double-tap & deep impact, and shooting through walls where people are likely to be or appear to be on the UAV
            Kusanagi

Comment

Originally posted by mapes
              the best thing for me was to not run to engage the enemy but, kinda set up and wait for em. Like on Crossfire you can setup in a few positions that give you a good view diagonally across the street at a few choke points.
              Yeah, this is also where I've been the most successful with the LMG. However, while sitting w/ a LMG works, I think an M16 is at least as effective (if not more effective!) in this scenario.

It seems to me that for every class, except the LMG, there is a scenario where that particular class will win out over other classes. While I think sitting and covering an area is effective with the LMG, I think there are other guns (assault rifles medium range, snipers long range) that are -more- effective. Maybe that's just my taste. I like to pick every shot between bursts (to aim for the headshot), and that's tricky since the gun generates smoke that blocks your view.

Comment

Originally posted by L_Mo
                Originally posted by mapes
                the best thing for me was to not run to engage the enemy but, kinda set up and wait for em. Like on Crossfire you can setup in a few positions that give you a good view diagonally across the street at a few choke points.
                Yeah, this is also where I've been the most successful with the LMG. However, while sitting w/ a LMG works, I think an M16 is at least as effective (if not more effective!) in this scenario.

It seems to me that for every class, except the LMG, there is a scenario where that particular class will win out over other classes. While I think sitting and covering an area is effective with the LMG, I think there are other guns (assault rifles medium range, snipers long range) that are -more- effective. Maybe that's just my taste. I like to pick every shot between bursts (to aim for the headshot), and that's tricky since the gun generates smoke that blocks your view.
                Yep I agree with you.

Comment

The High ROF (especially with Double Tap), med-high damage and large clip size make the LMGs excellent suppression weapons. They don't really excel at long range, and at short range they're no better or worse than any of the other High ROF guns in the game. At medium range, especially holding a chokepoint (such as an entrance to a building, hallway, or corner), the LMG comes into its own.

Personally, I like the red dot far too much to go with the extra grip, though if you are using as a suppression device, the grip might be better. Red Dot is your best bet if you are going for headshots IMO.

The M60 packs the biggest punch, the SAW has the highest ROF, and RPD sits somewhere in between. My personal fav is the M60, with double tap it doubles as a decent run'n'gun weapon as well as an excellent suppression tool.

Comment

LMG's are about suppression. That has always been their role.

1v1 with a M60 with double tap, and you lose mostly.

Nothing beats a LMG for clearing a 2nd floor with Deep Penetration.
                    Strafe at waist level, and watch them DIE DIE DIE..

Seriously though, I'm not a great head shot fiend, so I'm out for the klls.
                    I Have used the M60 as a long range sniper rifle substitue. Only takes a
                    couple of hits and they are down with the M60.

The other 2 LMG's are short-medium range hoses. Rippem apart.
                    If you can get behind a charging group, the carnage is most satisfying.

Great for spray and pray players, but for me, that got old. They are
                    fun to play time-to-time though.
                    ??Click me to donate??

Comment

generally used for covering fire, spray a dorrway while the team runs in. or covering behind in an alleyway while team moves forward.

Comment

Get the grip and Deep Penetration a,d hammer 'em through the wall -or- dig in and cover a high traffic area like the upstairs on Bloc.

Comment

The grips are definatly nice. I know alot of people prefer the red dot sights or ACOG, and neither is a bad choice but the stability from the grip is very nice to have. I've found that LMGs can be good in several instances. They're good for pining people down so your teammates can move in on them. Also good for flushing people out of light cover using Deep Penetration. As for the headshots, ACOGs work well once you get used to them. You can usually score a couple if you're rushing and get lucky but if you use short controlled bursts they can be fairly accurate. Alot of it I think is just getting used to them.

Imp

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
                          Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X