Cleaning your computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning your computer

What is the best way to clean your computer without damaging any components inside. Specifically dust, or anything that might hamper increased productivity. Need to keep my computer at 100% capacity!
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

I usually take mine outside when its nice out and take the side off and go crazy with some compressed air. Make sure to get the fans and heat sinks. Also try to do it outside since dust will fly everywhere.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Mobojo/Sigs/Sig2.jpg[/img]

Comment

If you have some kind of air compressor - it will work perfectly (that's what I always use - free compressed air! ), the hairdryer might also work (just don't set it on "hot air"). And yea, do it in some place other than your home as the dust will fly everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by random_id
        If you have some kind of air compressor - it will work perfectly (that's what I always use - free compressed air! ), the hairdryer might also work (just don't set it on "hot air"). And yea, do it in some place other than your home as the dust will fly everywhere.
        Be careful with an air compressor. They can and do get moisture in the tank and can spray it out with the air. Also, some air compressors can have oil in the mixture too.
        You can use an electric leaf blower. They will really blow the dust out. Just make sure nothing is laying around loose in the case.
        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

compressed air. but make sure to follow the directsion, and don't turn it updside down. you can pick up a can of it from just about any store that sells electronics. a few good blasts and your good to go.

Comment

compressed air

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
              compressed air. but make sure to follow the directsion, and don't turn it updside down. you can pick up a can of it from just about any store that sells electronics. a few good blasts and your good to go.
              +1

Also, leave your PC at room temperature after cleaning for an hour, just in case some moisture did find it's way out of the can.

A small soft paintbrush can also be pretty useful.

Comment

I'm glad Apache chimed in on this, as I was going to reply directly with the same info, remembering he had warned about this in the past. Given his direct knowledge on the subject, it sounds a lot more official than any 'I heard from a friend ..' comment coming from me personally.

Be careful using compressed air !!! We are talking in most instances 120lb per sq. inch, and that can damage a sensitive mainboard's components.
                Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

my compressor has a drain in the bottom. ive found that if i drain my pressure(and moisture) out of the bottom of my tank the moisture content is quite low after refilling it. i also set my regulator to 40 P.S.I. and it uses no oil.

i live in a pretty dry place. i tend to worry about static charge more than moisture.

kyle: for you, it's best to go to radio shack or a computer store and get cans of compressed air. less worry and hassle all the way around.

Comment

The problem with air compressors is you can never get all the moisture out of the air, without using a special filter. the moisture is forming from the piston heating the air. as it comes in. you can drain it, or blast it first. but short of following Drunken_chef's route. there is no way to minimize all the risks. at least his way decreases them a fairly good bit

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior
                      Originally posted by random_id
                      Be careful with an air compressor. They can and do get moisture in the tank and can spray it out with the air.
                      Apache
                      That's an extremely rare occurence - I have used my air compressor (Craftsman model, with a large storage tank) for more than a year inflating stuff like car tires and blowing dust out of everywhere and never got even a single drop of moisture accumulating in the tank (and I checked many times - the air tank has a special (absolutely useless) valve for "draining water"). Also, everything that I used the compressor on (for blowing dust out) was always completely dry. So in my experience it's pretty safe to use :P

Comment

i just buy a few cans of compressed air, and clean out my case and keyboard with them every now and then

Comment

Re: Cleaning your computer

Originally posted by Kyler721
                          ....Need to keep my computer at 100% capacity!
                          As other's have mentioned, compressed air will certainly do the trick. However, unless the dust is so thick it's restricting air flow, I doubt it's slowing you down any. Personally, I've never had a problem and I just blow my dust out (w/ my own breath) every time I happen to open the case.

Comment

I usually use a combo of compressed air in a can and the vacuum. I blow the dust loose off of the CPU, graphics card, etc using the can, and hold the vacuum nearby (but a safe distance away) to catch it all. Then things like any extra case fans and the bottom of the case can be cleaned by just taking the vacuum directly to it.

The front of my case has an intake fan with a filter on it, and that filter gets dusty to the point where you can't see the blue LEDs shining through. However, it doesn't look like any dust gets passed it. Other than the odd small clump on the bottom of the case, everything else stays pretty clean. It's not like some of my old computers where you can see dust hanging off the blades of the CPU fan a week after you clean it...

Comment

Originally posted by RobotBanana
                              I usually use a combo of compressed air in a can and the vacuum. I blow the dust loose off of the CPU, graphics card, etc using the can, and hold the vacuum nearby (but a safe distance away) to catch it all. Then things like any extra case fans and the bottom of the case can be cleaned by just taking the vacuum directly to it.
                              yeah, thats actually what i do most of the time

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X