Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA cancels 8800 GTS 512MB OC Models

" Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn on December 18, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Apparently NVIDIA has forbidden it's board-partners to sell any more pre-overclocked GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB cards according to a source at the Dutch Tweakers.net forums.

We (Guru3D) have spoken a couple of board partners and although they are not too frenzy on acknowledging this, it seem to be correct. Current batches of "OC" models are allowed to be sold yet the new batches to be released on February 2008 may be sold only at default clock frequencies.

While it's not very clear what the precise reason for this action, it is clear that the OC models perform just as well as a 8800 GTX and close to the Ultra, which will go EOL (end of life) in ... February 2008. It makes sense to assume that board partners are only buying the 8800 GT & GTS cards right now opposed to the GTX & Ultra thus this would leave NVIDIA with a serious overstock issue. Ehm NVIDIA, why not make the GTX & Ultra cheaper ? Or is there an issue with the actual G92 that NVIDIA refuses to disclose ? "

Que the buying frenzy on GT OC models in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I just ordered one . Hopefuly this card is all its hyped up to be.

Comment

I'd buy one but thanks to Riva turner and water cooling I've got My XFX 8800GTX XXX running at 650 Core 1450 Shader and 1100 Memory, has me in the mid 13K on 3d Mark 06.

Trust me I would't have been able to Overclock this card to 8800Ultra Stats, if it weren't for the fact that it was stock Oc'ed from XFX and I gave it a good long burn-in before overclocking, so far no artifact issues.

Also the way Nvidia is acting now would explain why the XFX 8800GTX XXX ed went out of production so fast and than came the Ultra, I believe nvidia did the same thing here, I just saw one of these GTX cards on ebay for $450

Comment

for $300 these cards are sweet! now to find $300 and someone to sell my GTS to...

Comment

BTW Newegg just lowered thier prices on all 8800GTS 512mb versions and added some rebates.

I feel a buy followed by overclocking coming on! SOMEONE HELP MY CHECK BOOK!

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143119

675 OC BFG 8800GTS with G92 $329 with no rebate

Comment

G92

How can you tell if its a G92 version? I just bought a evga 8800 gts 512 from newegg. I have it here but have not installed it yet. The box does not really give any detail on the Clock speed or the g92?

Comment

if it has 512 mb of RAM it's a G92.

Comment

Thanks....Now i just have to decide on the MB....SLI or no SLI??? P35 or x38 or a nvidia chipset

Comment

future proof it. go with an x38. the 780i left me less than impressed atm. good board, but usually the cost with them in this case will exceed their use.

Comment

Thanks Darth. I was looking @ the 780i boards....They seemed pretty pricy and didnt seem to get that great of reveiws. What brand and model x38 would you go with? Also I got a really good deal today on a monitor! Samsung syncmaster 220wm...Its the 22in widescreen. Got it for $190 plus it came with a $20 buck giftcard.

Comment

Well, thats a matter of personal preference on the boards. Gigabyte is my favorite, Juneau has a different one. for the most part they are all the same in terms of whats offered. i'll look into it a bit more.

(no offense duke) i haven't been too impressed with nvidia's offerings. the 780i feels too much of a reshash of the 680i boards. its a decent board, but for the cost, the intel offering is just as sufficient. nvidia's boards tend to overclock better, but in the end, its up to what do you plan to do with it? build it let it sit? game the heck out of it? or overclock the beegeezus out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
                            Well, thats a matter of personal preference on the boards. Gigabyte is my favorite, Juneau has a different one. for the most part they are all the same in terms of whats offered. i'll look into it a bit more.

(no offense duke) i haven't been too impressed with nvidia's offerings. the 780i feels too much of a reshash of the 680i boards. its a decent board, but for the cost, the intel offering is just as sufficient. nvidia's boards tend to overclock better, but in the end, its up to what do you plan to do with it? build it let it sit? game the heck out of it? or overclock the beegeezus out of it?
                            Abit IP35 series ftw! Getting mine in the January sales.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                              by Apache Warrior
                              6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                            • Reply to 6 years
                              by Sirex
                              I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                              Just hit 2.5K miles...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                            • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                              by Sirex
                              Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                            • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                              by Sirex
                              Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                            • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                              by Sirex
                              Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                            Working...
                            X