X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista Officially the #1 disappointment!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html

yea! everyone else realizes it as well!

[img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/120/latinsigsj0.jpg[/img] [img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/BenKenobi_player_7511.png[/img] [img]http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/public_banners/hope-banner1.gif[/img] [url=http://www.cainslair.com/paypal2Cain.htm/]
    You will donate to Cain's. Now.[/url]

Comment

Comment

I for one nominate PC World as the biggest disappointment in the PC magazine publishing field. It becomes more and more like an advertisement for their sponsors and less the topical read that is worth the price of a subscription.

Ohh, and I haven't PAID for a subscription in years .. but its worth a look at least while I'm on the loo.
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Agree with Walking target

Iphone should be #1 on the list

I like Vista and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Gremlin_flg
            Agree with Walking target

Iphone should be #1 on the list

I like Vista and it works great.
            I'd say Vista is a bigger disappointment personally. While the iPhone was hyped to high heaven, it actually delivered a decent product (if albeit a bit expensive).

Vista costs more, runs slower and is more incompatible than XP. And its not something people are seeking to purchase, most of the Vista adopters at this juncture are people buying new computers, where they don't have a choice in operating systems. I'll probably upgrade eventually, but at this point Vista just doesn't do anything I need better than XP at this point.

So why pay $400 for something that's worse than what most people already have?

Comment

Well im no computer guru but i know some basics.

1) xp is better for gaming but vista has direct x 10 for the elite braggers.
              2) vista can be annoying and after tuned right it runs like xp
              3) I can paint my car red but its still the same car: visual tweaks dont warrant a new os
              4) vista increased the gap between pre-built pc`s being used as a gaming pc which hurts the pc gaming market.

Upgrades to os should make everything easy and better. Vista really doesnt do either. It has potential but it may never reach its full power and xp might drag along all the way until the next windows comes out.

Comment

PC world is for noobs. I always notice how they spell out acronyms so the corporate idiots know what they are actually talking about.

Go read their mag, and notice how they define terms. They print the word DOS for example, followed by the phrase "disk operating system."

I prefer maximumPC for all your toilet reading needs.

Comment

What a bunch of idiots. They list Internet Security..... If you want to make your computer 100% secure don't plug it into a network..

Comment

Originally posted by Murder Simulator
                    PC world is for noobs.
                    ALL of PC-related magazines are for n00bs. :P

Comment

Originally posted by mapes
                      What a bunch of idiots. They list Internet Security..... If you want to make your computer 100% secure don't plug it into a network..
                      Yeah I found most of the other things in the article irrelevant... I do agree with calling Vista a disappointment, but (most) of the other stuff was just being sensationalist. I wasn't disappointed by the other things because I wasn't really looking forward to the other things...

Comment

For those of you who remember the heyday of PC gaming mags, when they'd weigh in at 500+ pages (but of course 200 of them were ads), you did get some quality reading from them. In order of my favorites:

1) boot! (now known as Maximum PC, which was itself OK a few years back)
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_PC
                        2) PC Accelerator (pre-PC Gamer staff members)
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Accelerator
                        3) CPU (only one still around and it too is dying a slow death)
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Power_User
                        4) Computer Gaming World (CGW was the first one devoted entirely to PC games - now known as Gaming For Windows .. which makes me sad )
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Gaming_World

There were others that I'm sure I've missed, such as Computer Shopper, PC Gamer, PC World ... and each carved their niche into the market, but most are but a sorry shell of their former selves. The print media is fading away, and even newspaper subscriptions are down, with the immediate news and daily events of the internet giving us our doses of information in bitesize chunks to digest as we see fit .. but .. still .. I miss sitting on the sofa reading a great hardware or game review.
                        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I was running Windows XP x64 and I must say I love Vista.

I am currently running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit And there is way more support from companys for Vista x64 than XP x64.

Comment

Originally posted by GoatX12
                            I was running Windows XP x64 and I must say I love Vista.

I am currently running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit And there is way more support from companys for Vista x64 than XP x64.
                            Yeah, if ANYTHING about Vista is a plus over XP, its the 64-bit support. I wouldn't touch XP-64 with a 10-foot pole.

But then again, I have very little need to go 64-bit at this time. When I eventually do, it will probably be to Vista 64.

Comment

I am running vista 64 bit right now and I love it works great no hiccups. People have tried the rc1 of sp1 for Vista and have noticed improvements. Next week will be installing new psu and new 500 gig OS drive with Vista 64 and will be installing sp1. The only thing I do not like about Vista is the continuous accessing of the hard drive.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X