Stupid Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Internet

My son's computer is connected to the Internet. I can ping anything except local. Games, Ventrilo, IM. Steam all work. IE and FF will not work. They can not connect. Any suggestions. This time of the year I am extremely busy and have little time to research problems.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

You could try rest the router may work.

Comment

windows firewall=off
      put his router on a dmz so all ports are open and put a personal firewall on his computer, a little risky but would take the router out of the picture to see if it's the problem.
      re-install FF or restore back to the day before it quit working.
      [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

He is on the same modem/router I am. And he just tried to boot up and now Windows will not boot. Even in Safe Mode. Looks like something is corrupted. Time to reinstall Windows.
        Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Re: Stupid Internet

Originally posted by Apache Warrior
          My son's computer is connected to the Internet. I can ping anything except local. Games, Ventrilo, IM. Steam all work. IE and FF will not work. They can not connect. Any suggestions. This time of the year I am extremely busy and have little time to research problems.
          Apache
          If you can ping out by IP addy but web browse my guess is it's DNS settings.

Comment

This is turning ugly. After installing Windows it reboots and starts the install process all over again. If I try to boot with out the CD it will not. I am thinking that the HD may be bad.
            Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Re: Stupid Internet

Originally posted by mapes
              Apache
              If you can ping out by IP addy but web browse my guess is it's DNS settings.
              ya rly, i had a DNS problem, had similar issues (steam, vent, etc working, mozilla not)

Comment

This is turning ugly. After installing Windows it reboots and starts the install process all over again. If I try to boot with out the CD it will not. I am thinking that the HD may be bad.
                Apache
                you might wanna check your cables and reset the Bios. Thats the only other thing I can think off.

Comment

I ran chkdsk from the Recovery Console and it reported several unrepairable problems.
                  Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I ran chkdsk from the Recovery Console and it reported several unrepairable problems.
                    Apache
                    sounds like its dead/dying. my last 2 maxtor hd's i ever bought & will buy again died this VERY same way.

the giveaway was the dead secotors kept changing. once they were marked out, and you ran it again, a whole new slew of them appeared.

finally, it just puked...

Comment

if anyone remembers, i had hard drive problems... my maxtor died. perhaps nevus can recall.

Comment

oh, i can recal. to this day i won't buy another maxtor. that was part of my b**** fest about maxtors. yea. i hate them THAT much.

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
                          oh, i can recal. to this day i won't buy another maxtor. that was part of my b**** fest about maxtors. yea. i hate them THAT much.
                          I won't either. My only dead HDD's are Maxtors. I still have a bunch of 750mb-10gb Seagates and WD's that are in perfect working order.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                            Originally posted by darth_nevus
                            I won't either. My only dead HDD's are Maxtors. I still have a bunch of 750mb-10gb Seagates and WD's that are in perfect working order.
                            Used be years ago that WD's were bad. Then the IBM Deskstars started dying as well. I've never own maxtors...so I can't comment.

Comment

I've owned so many drives that they were ALL bad at one time !!

You name it, I've had it go bad. Lets list them as I remember:

Western Digital 80GB 8mb cache Special Editions - 3 of them, all RMA'd*

Maxtor 160 GB 8mb - only one, but its on my wife's PC where all the data is important. The 160's are Maxtors poorest HD effort to date.

Seagate - 40GB 2mb cache - Had a run of these at work that we bought new go bad, so with 250+ PCs, 75 of the Seagates went bad over the summer during our setup.

IMB Death, errr DESKStar 20GB - these are the oldest, but were the first drives to be soundly vilified and cursed by the PC community. Can't remember if a class action suite was filed, but it very well could have been !

* - note on the WD 80GB drives. I've had better luck with the RMA drives returned from WD. In fact, I built a PC for my Father-in-law last weekend using an Abit KG7-RAID board with an AMD 2000+ CPU with two of the WD 80GB drives set up in a hardware RAID 0/1 config, and at this point they are near as I can figure about 6.5 years old !!
                              This upgraded him from his P3/700 box that I built two years ago, so he got it as a Christmas gift last night, and he is a happy camper.
                              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X