Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overheating cards / Riva tuner 2.06

I have 2 ati visiontek hd 3870's in crossfire
    I was originally using the Fixed fan speed duty cycle for both video cards using rivatuner, the main card always runs 10deg. C hotter than the other 1 .
    If I run the cards by themselves they idle at 72 deg. celcius and the fan are running but at a very low speed
    So I have the main card fan at a fixed duty cycle of 65% and will keep the main card at mid 40's deg. C at idle.
    And I have the Secondary card fan at 55%fan duty cycle and has it at usually around 38deg. C at idle>
    But when i'm playing Cod4 or ut3 for a good amount of time the cards will still over heat and reach 80+ deg. C and they started to freak out and the VPU recovery kicked in....but it still locked up the video.
    I did a hard reboot and lost the resolution setting (no biggy) ,but noticed that the cards where over 80deg. celcius, but then quikly cooled down because I wasnt playing any games by then, and i know that the fix fan duty cycle settings werent enough to keep up with the heavy demand the cards have, while playing games.
    So... I tried to create a fan profile with riva-tuner ...i found a tutorial on how to do it ...so I managed to do it for the main card and it seemed to work.
    I created my profile to work like this :
    Fan speed 100% > 85 deg C.
    90% > 80
    85% > 75
    80% > 70
    75% > 65
    70% > 60
    65% > 55
    60% > 50
    55% > 45
    50% > 40
    So this was my fist time trying this and i figured I could always go back and tweak the settings and temps if that profile is too loud.
    But i noticed it wasnt working for the second card as it was now running hotter than the main card.....so i tried to set up a profile for the second card ,but it kept saying "the profile is corrupt or missing ,would you like to edit profile"(yes/no) and it keeps popping up with that error message no matter if I click yes or no.
    I am able to control both cards using the "fixed " fan setting control ,but i would like to have something more automated for both cards.
    Either i'm doing something wrong, or rivatuner isnt capable of controlling 2 card in crossfire.
    I have already updated the ati drivers to 7.12...they were just released....no change at all by themselves.
    If I dont use riveatuner they instantly overheat
    Tell me what you guys think

try ati tool

Comment

Ok i tried ATI tools...and it seems to only work for 1 card also....i cant find anything to go the the other card.
      at least with rivatuner i can control both cards with a fixed setting....i'm still trying to play around with it

Comment

sorry that didnt work. i've never had two cards!

Comment

My profile kicks the fan up at lower temps.

Fan 80% @ 55

Fan 100% @ 60

If I don't turn up the fans in my case the temp gets up into high 60s. If I turn on my exhaust fans up to 75% and my front intake fan to 25% I stay at 60.
          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
          Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I had bought a 5.25" bay cooling fan ,but i never installed it....i just put it in ,and it seemed to cool the case interior about 3-5 deg. celcius and I also bought a ram fan cause it think the ram was running really hot.
            I think it'll help but not totally solve my video cards from over heating.

Dont get me wrong...things arent as bad as you think....its just i like my stuff to run cool....and i could just increase the fixed duty cycle...of both fans using rivatuner... i was just wondering if anybody knew about it more than i do

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X