Need a second opinion about ram.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a second opinion about ram.

Hey all, Been considering getting some more ram for my Pc and wanted another opinion on what might work better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145527

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141199

The main set I have been looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231018

Not really sure which one to pick. I have a 1 gig and a 256 chipsets in my pc already. I have been looking at the Gskill cause that is what my 1 gig chip is. Any thoughts on what might be a better choice ?

Thanks
    -Bar

Just get the cheapest from a reputable manufacturer. Buy another gig and ditch the 256mb.

Comment

Well I have 4 slots so... 1 256 chip, 1 gig chip and I am looking at buying 2 more gigs.

Comment

Your motherboard seems to support dual channel (otherwise why those sets), so why not knock out the 256 at the same time?

Funny you should mention this. I just placed an order for another 2 gigs (for 4 total, 3.whatever in Vista 32bit) last night, for Corsair XMS DDR2 800 PC6400 that has a $30 mail-in rebate, final price will be $37.00. Got some heat spreader bling for my two cheapo factory-installed Value Select PC6400 chips too.

Tis the season for more Ram I guess.

-Rand
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Well I am just looking at price range I guess, can afford 2 gigs so I figure I go ahead and get them. But with an extra slot open... might as well leave the 256 in until I buy the extra gig. Unless it is going to be a hindrance.

Comment

Originally posted by (DSP)-Bar
            Well I am just looking at price range I guess, can afford 2 gigs so I figure I go ahead and get them. But with an extra slot open... might as well leave the 256 in until I buy the extra gig. Unless it is going to be a hindrance.
            Chances are your mobo is dual channel capable. in that case it is far more adventaggres to buy a 2gb kit thats dual channel rated, rather than sticking 3 stick in. once the 3rd stick goes in, the mobo will turn off the dual channel, and you'll lose the increased performance.

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
              Originally posted by (DSP)-Bar
              Chances are your mobo is dual channel capable. in that case it is far more adventaggres to buy a 2gb kit thats dual channel rated, rather than sticking 3 stick in. once the 3rd stick goes in, the mobo will turn off the dual channel, and you'll lose the increased performance.

Ok, that didn't make and sense to me. So what you are saying is that if I leave my 256 chip in "might" cause a conflict ? I know my board can handle a 256 and gig sets at once but I have never owned a Pc with more then my current setting. I have been playing on Computers for a long time now but I have never had anything that can hold up to this level. So I don't really know anything about it. I knew with mine that I could mix 2 types but I have never gone past the 2 slot mark because I have never needed anything more. I know I want to add more to it for some better rates but if the 256 is a possible conflict then I will take it out. I mean upgrading 2 gigs... that 256 is a drop in the bucket.

Comment

What he's saying is that for dual channel to work it needs to be in a exact configuration. 2x2gb, 2x1gb, 2x512.

Comment

Ok so hopefully this doesn't sound utterly retarded but hopefully I got this right.

I have 4 slots but because I don't 4 gigs it is better to have my 1 gig and a 2 gig chips in rather then 3 single chips.

Edit

Or I if I buy 3 gigs and add it to my 1 gig it should work fine ?

Sorry i am not to great with this subject. Thats why I am asking lol

Comment

Buy dual channel ram. You need it installed in Pairs. So if you have 4 slots...Dump the 256 stick and go with Gig sticks. Since you already have a gig stick of Gskill I would prob stick with that brand. Just make sure the Gig stick you have now is dual channel and the one you buy is dual channel

Comment

bar. for the cost of ram, here my suggestion. Take what is in it out and DON'T use it again. Seems like a HUGE waste, however, there are bigger benefits to NOT using them.

"Dual Channel" ram require 2 virtually identical sticks of ram. they are usually paired at the factory, hence the 2x1GB sticks, etc.

Dual channel is much better(BY ALOT) than single channel. much faster.

All 3 sets you ave above (my choice is the G. Skill) will work perfectly.

By adding the 3rd or 4th stick, you SLOW down the ram(more technical description i won't bore you with. just remember mismatched ram "pairs" = slow) that you already have. this is because they are not "paired"

The one you are leaning towards is what i'd go with. set the other sticks off to the side, save them, whatever, but DON'T put them back in.

Adding back in the old ram:
                      Will it screw up your system if you do. NO.
                      Will it slow it down. YES. but not really any slower than its running now.
                      Will it cause problems with windows or anything else. NO.
                      Will you be able to use all 3+GB of ram. NO. Windows limitations apply here.
                      Will you have more ram total to use. YES. but not by too much or as much as you think. Again, this is windows fault.

Long story short.

Darth's recommendation. Buy the 2x1GB sticks of G. Skill Ram. remove the old stuff. put it in the new ram's packaging, and set it somewhere safe. put the new stuff in. Be happy with 2GB of ram, and not 3.

Comment

Argh... I am gonna have to spend a few hours on this one lol...

Comment

Darth's recommendation. Buy the 2x1GB sticks of G. Skill Ram. remove the old stuff. put it in the new ram's packaging, and set it somewhere safe. put the new stuff in. Be happy with 2GB of ram, and not 3.
                          I would do the same. Although given those links in first post, I would go with PQI Turbo because of faster timings (compared to G.Skill).

Comment

Originally posted by random_id
                            I would do the same. Although given those links in first post, I would go with PQI Turbo because of faster timings (compared to G.Skill).
                            You have to remember that timings are litterally pointless now compared to DDR with it's really agressive timings paired with the A64 platform.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                              Originally posted by random_id
                              You have to remember that timings are litterally pointless now compared to DDR with it's really agressive timings paired with the A64 platform.
                              Any actual examples of why/how they are pointless?

Edit: ok, just wasted some of my time running a quick benchmark with my 4GB of DDR2 RAM (on a P35 chipset) using Valve's Lost Coast (64-bit version):
                              With default timings (5-5-5-15) I get 89 FPS average.
                              With increased timings (6-7-7-17) I get 80 FPS average. So no, RAM timings are NEVER pointless when it comes to performance :P

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X