CPU question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU question

OK Im trying to decide what CPU to go with. They are priced about the same Quad core 6600 or the C2d E6850. I game more than anything else. What would you go with? Thanks in advance
    Chops

well, depnds on when you can afford to upgrade again, and what your using the pc for. if its just gaming, no game in the next 2 years will be able to use the 4 cores in the Q6600. but if your on a budget, this is STILL a good processor.

If you plan on upgrading at somepoint, the E6850 is a Stomping good dual core proc. this would be my choice, but it costs more.

Comment

If I was buying today I would probably go with the 6850 and the higher FSB.

I was thinking about upgrading my CPU now but I decided to wait until the 45nm CPUs come out. They have been pushed back until the second quarter but the Q9450 will have both Quad core and the 1333 FSB. Here is a chart i found that someone posted but I don't know where it came from.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR}
        If I was buying today I would probably go with the 6850 and the higher FSB.

I was thinking about upgrading my CPU now but I decided to wait until the 45nm CPUs come out. They have been pushed back until the second quarter but the Q9450 will have both Quad core and the 1333 FSB. Here is a chart i found that someone posted but I don't know where it came from.

It came from HKEPC. by and large, i am really wating to see what these new45nm procs bring to the table

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
          if its just gaming, no game in the next 2 years will be able to use the 4 cores in the Q6600.
          UT3 is out now and it does better on a Q6600 than a 6850, along with supreme commander.
          [img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/__alpha__/ut3-4.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by alpha
            if its just gaming, no game in the next 2 years will be able to use the 4 cores in the Q6600.
            UT3 is out now and it does better on a Q6600 than a 6850, along with supreme commander.
            Retraction:

True. i'll correct myself. E6850 wins clock for clock in non SMP games. the Q6600 wins in SMP based games. its really going to determine which games your going to play.

Games must be optimised for quad core. most of the newer ones are going to be. Sorry alpha. i completely missed the read on UT3 being optomized for quad core.

I knew supreme commander is, thand the upcoming Alan Wake title was, but somehow i missed ut3.

Comment

i am really wating to see what these new45nm procs bring to the table
              article @ anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3184

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef
                i am really wating to see what these new45nm procs bring to the table
                article @ anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3184
                i read that, and was quite impressed, but i thought that was an engineering sample? retail aprts tend to be MUCH better in the end, and i for will be intrigued...

Comment

I'd have to go with the Q6600 especially if your planning on keeping it for longer than 12 months. The Q6600 also comes in quite a bit cheaper than the e6850. Well, it does over here.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                    I'd have to go with the Q6600 especially if your planning on keeping it for longer than 12 months. The Q6600 also comes in quite a bit cheaper than the e6850. Well, it does over here.
                    actually, they are the same price atm. $279.99 a piece, US.

whatr REALLY makes me lauggh is the E6700 is STILL 319.00, despite its lower bus speed, lower clock speed, etc. lo.

Comment

Nice price, we're getting the short end of the stick as usual.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Conroe" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Conroe" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

Dual Core Technology, 3.00GHz clock speed, 4MB L2 Cache, Intel Speedstep Technology, EM64T 64-Bit Technology, Execute Disable Bit. 3yr Warranty.
                      Average rating of 5.0 Intel 10+ in stock ?147.99
                      (?173.89)

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - OEM Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - OEM

Quad Core Technology, 2.40GHz clock speed, 8MB L2 Cache, Intel Speedstep Technology, EM64T 64-Bit Technology, Execute Disable Bit, Energy Efficient Version, 1yr Warranty.
                      Average rating of 5.0 Intel 10+ in stock ?131.99
                      (?155.09)

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
                      Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X