• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old computer help needed!

i have an old P3 , its OC'ed.

motherboard:atrend ATA-V941-CX0

i couldnt find a manual online...
    i cannot boot from windows CD successfully to install, and i know i can put xp on there; its run XP before. anyhow, my dad had it OC'ed to 733 mhz (5.5 x 133) but i cannot change the OC in any way... i've tried through bios , and the jumpers on the motherboard. resetting CMOS does not work.

Pop the CMOS battery out and boot it. You may not have had the power cord plugged in when you tried the pin reset jumper on the mainboard, so try the battery out of the board and boot it up.

Good luck, and post back on how its going. I'd also scrap plans for XP on there and try some older version of *nix, such as Freespire or Ubuntu.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

started without CMOS battery... still bootin 733

Comment

Then it has to be a jumper on the board itself specifying the FSB speed. Without a manual, its darn near impossible unless you happen upon a Google search that gives you the info. I plugged in 'atrend ATA-V941 133 cpu' and had the best luck finding results.
        The board does support 133 FSB, so theres no reason why it wouldn't run that 733 properly unless something is borked. I can send you a P3/933 chip to try in it if you want. That'd rule out the CPU as a problem at least.
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

well, before i have you ship off a part into the abyss, ill describe what happens when i try to boot from XP.

i can start the process of loading the cd, it says setup is detecting hardware configuration, then screen goes blank....and stays like that..

Comment

well i tried booting from xp pro cd but no luck. xandros it is.

Comment

alas xandros hangs on installation also. well, this is a failure. as if to help the situation, the old spare CRT i was using died.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                by Apache Warrior
                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to 6 years
                by Sirex
                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                by Sirex
                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                by Sirex
                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                by Sirex
                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
              Working...
              X