Merry Christmas! Oh, by the way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Christmas! Oh, by the way...

So I entered my wife into the 8800 club for Christmas (I actually installed the card on Sunday). Everything worked great on Sunday, and Monday, but this morning, Minerva's computer wouldn't post. Fans spin, drives spin, but no beeps and no display. I already tried resetting the BIOS, but no luck there. Any thoughts?

Take the card out put it back on mate then check your power lead to the card This happend to me with my 8800GT card after this the card was working fine.

Comment

Also make sure the PSU can handle everything plus the new card.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

+1 to the above. Hope you get it working but we'll be here if it doesn't Enjoy Minerva!

Comment

The same exact thing happens to my 8600GT, the second day it was installed. Take out the CMOS battery and pop it back in 30 minutes(ish) later. It should start up and it will say Checksum is bad, you'll have to reset the clock/date in BIOS.

Comment

I vacummed the cpu yesterday and the computer was on, but I wasn't using it because I had to get ready for Christmas Eve. Can that be related to this issue?
            K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
            sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by MinervaRelefen
              I vacummed the cpu yesterday and the computer was on, but I wasn't using it because I had to get ready for Christmas Eve. Can that be related to this issue?
              May be buck they one way to be sure pop you old card back in and try it if the card works then it you new 8800 card that As broken down.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, but the issue was that the Northbridge fan was clogged with dust. I mean, like, CLOGGED. I am guessing this is what was causing the boot failure. Anyway, the new motherboard is working great, just one teeny tiny issue. The new motherboard only has SATA drive capability (aside from the IDE for the cds). All of Minerva's data is on two IDE drives. What is the easiest way to get the data from the IDE drives to the SATA disks? Would putting the old hard drives (temporarily) into the IDE ports be my best bet?

Comment

What is the easiest way to get the data from the IDE drives to the SATA disks?
                  Easiest ? I'd buy Acronis True Image from Newegg for $20 and have that do all the work. You can image the data over, but you will have to do a repair install of the Windows XP OS to get it to properly initialize and bot to the correct hard drive.
                  Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Nevermind...

Comment

Yeah... I'd have put in the IDE slot, and just move the data over.

but then again, I'm a bit frugal, and don't spend money that I don't
                      have to. A little physical work for free beats paying for it.
                      ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_And_Gone

Seeing as how my nifty IDE-to-SATA convertor isn't well-liked by the motherboard, I am going to have to go this route. Anyone care to share their experience of having an IDE hd and a SATA hd simultaneously? Namely, what jumper settings do I use on the IDE hd?

Comment

Originally posted by ThisElfRocksHard
                          Originally posted by Dead_And_Gone

Seeing as how my nifty IDE-to-SATA convertor isn't well-liked by the motherboard, I am going to have to go this route. Anyone care to share their experience of having an IDE hd and a SATA hd simultaneously? Namely, what jumper settings do I use on the IDE hd?
                          They are independednt. if the IDE HD is the only one on the chain, set it to master. the sata drive has no "master/slave" configuration. all you REALLY need to worry about is making sure the BIOS is looking for the right drive to boot from. By default, most bios will set the default boot drive to the IDE variant.

Ther ereally is nothing to be concerned about other than just making sure the boot drive is listed properly to the one you want to boot from. no real jumper or pin settings to worry about.

Comment

OMG ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111 Thanks guys!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                            Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X