Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Servers...

Updates...

It looks like our current GSP WILL HAVE Ranked BF3. Almost confirmed.

I'll almost definitely keep it in Dallas.

It looks like a server will cost about $150-$200/month.

We need to get regular contributions going to pay for this server. If everybody gives a little we can easily get enough money. I ended up having to pull down 2142 because even though we had a very, very, very busy server we didn't get enough contributions from the community to pay for the server. Same story with BF2, although we had one man willing to pay for the entire server, I didn't think it was fair to him.

Unfortunately it looks like EA will have two versions of the server, Hardcore, and Vanilla. This is a horrible idea and fractures the Community in half from the start. If this happens, I will probably run both versions initially and keep the version that stays busier. I HATE the whole HC idea, and it should have stayed in Call of Duty where it belongs.

Stay tuned folks !!

Originally posted by Cain View Post
    Unfortunately it looks like EA will have two versions of the server, Hardcore, and Vanilla. This is a horrible idea and fractures the Community in half from the start. If this happens, I will probably run both versions initially and keep the version that stays busier. I HATE the whole HC idea, and it should have stayed in Call of Duty where it belongs.
    Why couldn't they go back to the way they did it in BF2? So much better...
    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

you hate the hard core idea? why do we run it on the vietnam server then? i love it, makes it a bit more realistic... takes some getting used to not having cross hairs, but you get over that in just a few games.

in fact non HC games annoy me,, i dislike having to empty a clip into a guy in order for him to actually go down. i realize that it means i take more hits too, but hell son, im that good, " i aint got time to bleed"

Comment

I hate HC in BF games because you lose many features unique to BF games.

Spotting enemies
        the Compass
        Seeing how much damage vehicles have and when they are healed, etc....

HC in COD games removes the radar showing the location of all enemies, and
        makes people die faster

We run HC BC2:V because even though I despise it, it is currently more popular for us, not more popular overall, but for us it attracts players.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
          Why couldn't they go back to the way they did it in BF2? So much better...
          They should.... There was nothing wrong with the BF2 system....

Comment

I hate HC in BF games because you lose many features unique to BF games.

Spotting enemies
            the Compass
            Seeing how much damage vehicles have and when they are healed, etc....

HC in COD games removes the radar showing the location of all enemies, and
            makes people die faster

We run HC BC2:V because even though I despise it, it is currently more popular for us, not more popular overall, but for us it attracts players.

at first i didnt like it, i missed my map and the little points you got for spotting, but i soon got over it. i would guess crosshairs make folks dislike HC more than lack of map.

doesnt HC in BC2 do the same thing. people die faster, and there is no map/

Comment

Engineers can see how much healing vehicles need. Medics can see how much health players still have. And you can spot vehicles and enemies in HC. It may not be as useful without the mini map, but you still get points for spotting. And I prefer HC for the same reasons as Infamous.
              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

i just don't see how bf3 like bf2 would be without a HUD, where is was very helpful. that would mean no aerial scan
                Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Vanilla FTW

Comment

I definitely will be playing BF3 vanilla. Last night in Vietnam I shot a guy in the foot with the M40 and he died. As happy as I was with the kill it was unsatisfying because it was a lucky hit that shouldn't have killed him.
                    I'd rather have all of the bells and whistles the designers created for the game.

And just my opinion, now that I've played HC for a while I think it's popular because of the ease in getting kills due to the lowered health. People usually take the easier path.
                    But don't get me wrong, I know some people like the realism, but I think the majority like the easier kills.

Comment

In the Battlefield (non BC) series, Vanilla is the way to go. The weapons were more balanced in BF2 and 2142 than they've been in most games since, and most of the Vanilla features mentioned above like the compass, spotting, healing, etc. are ALL squad-based features. The loss of these features means less teamwork, which = fail.

For spotting, points aren't the well, point of it. Instead, spotting is most useful because it throws the target up on the minimap for your squad mates.

-Rand
                      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I don't mind "easy" kills because from what I have seen BF2142 (and I assume BF2) played very similar to BFBC2 HC. A Voss or the full auto recon weapon put someone down in a second. I would hope that BF3 ships with vanilla set up so that you can't stand in the bullet stream and hang out without danger.

Comment

There was no HC mode in 2142 and BF2.

HC came out of the Call of Duty Series.

Yep, I'm not a fan of HC in Battlefield Games, where it removes features that are unique to the Battlefield games.

I'm with you Bad, I think folks just like killing people easier. I killed a guy with two bullets to his ankle earlier.

Comment

I killed a guy with two bullets to his ankle earlier.
                            You must have the fast acting poison-tipped bullets.

Comment

I personally love HC...I find that vanilla games hit detection is weird and having crosshairs etc ruins it and tends to lower the skill lvl of players

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X