mmo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmo's

being a (partially retired) leader of a large multi-game guild, was wondering if any mmos coming out have stirred up anyones interest.

I think ones I'm most looking forward to are warhammer, not becuase its warhammer, but because of Mythic, after DAoC, they know what there doing.

Age of Conan would be the other just because the design and gameplay mechanics look good, but, brilliant ideas on paper seldom lead to grreat games, take Vanguard for instance, or Horizons, if you played either of them, you know lol.

feel free to discuss, its slow at work and want to get a feel for what the community likes other than just shooting at me...

Mythic is now run by EA, so I'd say all bets are off I know Warhammer predates the Warcarft universe, but it just feels like they are making a WOW ripoff. I'm sure it will please the hardcore grinders and uber PvPers, but I doubt the masses will adopt it like they did WOW.

I've been toying with the idea of jumping back into EVE Online. I'm a sucker for space games, and I might actually give it a real go this time. Nothing else in MMO-Land really interests me much, not even WOW. I recently also tried Tabula Rasa, but that game lacks fun....dare I say its nearly devoid of it.

Now World of Starcraft, that would be.....a very different story

Comment

ohh EvE online.. loved it, until i let a "friend" take care of my account, and now wont let me have it back.. but I've thought about going back to that one myself.

Comment

That stinks Rokk

The great thing about EVE is that it is still growing. Which is amazing for a game released all the way back in 2003. I'm sure the content patches and updated graphics didn't hurt

Comment

EA :P

Warhammer now... Hmmmmmm...
          have read every book in the series...
          Just depends on what they push to market.

I still have an open WOW account, but seldom play anymore.
          ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Here's some shots from Warhammer Online. I really wish they would have focused on W40K instead

For some strange reason, I get the feeling this isn't going to set the world on fire

Comment

ehh, after looking at it, I think youre right.

Comment

Not overly impressed with the SS's myself.
                They don't look rich at all on graphics.
                ??Click me to donate??

Comment

I am looking forward to Warhammer Online (BTW Carbon, THQ/Relic is making a 40K-themed MMO as well, although at this point I don't think they've done much beyond acquiring the license).

EA did buy Mythic out, but, to quote an inside source of mine, "we just give them money and stay the hell out of their way". I think (hope, rather) that EA might finally be learning that when they buy out a successful developer, "hands off" is the best policy if they want to keep making money.

DAOC had the best PVP system of any MMO to date (although I did actually prefer WOW's combat when there were huge open field battles at XRoads constantly, before the BGs were implemented), and hopefully this time Mythic is smart enough to ignore the fanboys on the Vault Boards with their constant "nerf this, buff this" whining (which ruined DAOC for many people), it should be an outstanding game.

There are a lot of people hanging onto old MMOs just waiting for this one, while it obviously won't do WOW numbers, it should be a pretty healthy game.

Age of Conan looks like another Crysis...pretty to look at but no one will actually buy it. A lot of the game mechanics sound pretty interesting, but as Rokk said, that usually doesn't pan out.
                  [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
                  [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

pirates of the burning sea.

takes placein the caribbean in 1720.
                    involes masted sail ships and cannon. Team work is a must as one person can not craft it all themselves( all = stuff they need)
                    Great for a family that plays together, or a small guild looking for something new.
                    if you pre ordered, you can start monday, the 7th, otherwise everyone else gets to log in on the 23rd.,

Comment

well, it happened, after a 3 month break from mmo's, i got sucked back in to lotro... and I'm enjoying the genre again.

if you play on arkenstone, feel free to look me up, Rokkisy of Immortal

Comment

I quit after WoW...I thought it was better to keep the wife happy than spend hours on end on my computer.

Comment

DAOC was my longest standing MMO? played for nearly 4 years from release (with the best having one of my screenshots as an add for New Frontiers in PC Gamer and other mags). What really kept me going was the RvR in the game. The threat of enemy invasion, realm defense, relic raids. I remember taking the time to plan raids with people, mapping out our trajectory and knowing where the guards roamed.

Now games seem to be made too easy, there is next to no thought in them for the player. Its more of a mindless button mash.

After playing MMOs for 11 years, I really not into the grind of a game. I love the PvP portion of MMOs, loved the WoW BGs, but the time it takes to level up there to be able to enjoy them on par with everyone else is just insane.

I like Age of Conan for its city development. Shadowbane had attempted something like that, with guilds controlling cities and portions of maps. AoC seems to be taking it to the next degree with customizable cities. But I hear no raiding enemy cities, only NPC raids.

They really need to start putting more risk for dying in these games. A little exp hit and a walk back to your corpse is nothing. People tend to jump head first into frays without thinking, because there is no risk. I remember the old UO days where you died and your stuff stayed on your corpse for other people to loot. That may have been extreme, but take it another step like Asheron?s Call and allow people to bind certain items to their bodies, but not all.

I was looking forward to Warhammer, but I don?t think its going to live up to its expectations. Its going to be another MMO in the sea of MMOs. Will probably lure many hardcore gamers though. I know I already have 2 guild invites for the game once its up and running lol.
                          [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
                          So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

DAoC was my longest running MMO as well. I tend to play for a couple of months, cancel for six months, then come back when I'm bored, so once the RvR started getting really high ranked I couldn't compete and left for good. Well, that and the fact that Mythic repo'ed my house despite the rent being paid on it.

I recently got sucked into WoW again, but instead of the crazy grind to 60 (well, 70 now), I just play an hour or two at a time a couple of times a week and don't pay attention to the XP bar. I have more fun leveling alts than bothering with my high level guys. Plus, I take such long breaks from the game that I can never remember what the 50 freaking icons on the screen do anymore.
                            [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
                            [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

Oh wow... My account expired a couple of weeks ago.

And yeah, It takes me awhile to figure out my WOW screen after being
                              off for awhile. Tend to die alot.. lol
                              I'll resurrect it in a week or so. probably...

40K.. Now THAT I would go for.
                              ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X