Cable or DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable or DSL

I'm in the midst of a move and I'm debating about getting cable or DSL in the new house. Currently, I'm on DSL, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the matter. Thanks in advanced, ya'll.
    DSL
    0%
    Cable
    0%
    "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch."

DSL!

I pay 29.99 a month and get 2.5mb down and 768K up...

From Missouri that gets me a ping of 45 - 70 on Cain's DoD server...
    * Tuqui-tuqui hugs bliss
    <Tuqui> hmm .... nice and soft
    <bliss> ...
    * bliss` takes off his bunny suit

Comment

LOL. i'v actually had both and from where i'm at dsl is at best 150k up 75k down. Cable on the other hand is 5mb up and 500k down. It's actually best to call up both companies and ask some questions like "How much bandwidth do you provide both for uploading and downloading?" and "how much will it cost to upgrade to get more bandwidth is I so want?"

Come back with answers and post 'em up and then we can help ya out. Obviously if there isn't much of a difference in price (say $5-10) then go with the one that will have more bandwidth.
      [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Never had DSL. I would only switch to DSL because of price (but I can't get it where I live). Cable is very fast for me and 99% reliable (I have Comcast).

Go with the cheapest option IMO. Even with 2mb down and 128kb up or 256kb up your gaming shouldn't be affected too much (I have 4mb down and 256kb up...I get great pings when the routers aren't acting up).

B

(I voted DSL because price will probably be lower)
        Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
        -Albert Einstein

Comment

i had verizon dsl and its like 3 meg dl 250 up
          i hated it..

i went to cable and love it..
          i pay a little more but i get 5 meg dl 725 up
          xp auto configs for cable... so no hastle either not like dsl you have to set it up.

Comment

ok, let me break this down for ya. The main difference between cable and DSL is that cable is shared with everybody in the area that has it. With DSL you have your own connection, but it WILL go down more. Especially if you have any routers (wired or wireless, it dosn't matter). My dad has had cable for about 5 years now, and the only time it's went down was when his router started to act up. With DSL (which is what I have right now) It's always down for "upgrades and updates". Really I think they just cut it off to save power.

Comment

I have had DSL for over 3 years and have only experienced one outage and that was because something with my phone line down at the switchbox...

It really depends on your phone company, but that's a very good suggestion about calling your prospective internet service providors and talk bandwidth...
              * Tuqui-tuqui hugs bliss
              <Tuqui> hmm .... nice and soft
              <bliss> ...
              * bliss` takes off his bunny suit

Comment

I have DSL with Bell South and have never had any outages. I am 6 hours from Cain's Servers and I ping as low as 19 but, I average 29.
                Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I think Cable ( Comcast ) is better than DSL ( Verizon ) :!:

Comment

Cable is my choice. RoadRunner (TW) is upgrading their download 3Mb/s to 5Mb/s and didn't advertise or tell me; they just did it. Upload is a paltry 384Kb/s. OTOH I would switch to DSL if I could get better upload speed and 2.5Mb/s download; RoadRunner charges roughly 4 or 5 times my current rate just to get 512Kb/s.
                    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/nomadicus][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/nomadicus.png[/img][/url]

Comment

5+ years on DSL here, I got it the day it was rolled out by GTE. After a few years it became Verizon and as many bad thoughts as that name can bring, I've been overall satisfied. My downtime was never more than 3 days total over a calendar year. Every time I would become frustrated by the local cable companies monopoly and Verizon's price and/or service, they would either drop the price or raise my speeds.

I started out at 768/128 frame relay at $42 a month, then after 4 years went to 1.5/384 ATM at $35 a month. After about eight months, they have now doubled my D/L and U/L to 3.0/768 and dropped the price to $30 a month. The local cable co. is at 5/256 I believe which isn't too synchronous for a gamer, so I'm happy with DSL.
                      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Best thing to do is try both and go with the better service. DSL could be awesome for you and suck for the guy down the street. If you don't have to sign a contract I would try both.

Comment

Like others have said, it really really depends on the location and the local offices. My suggestion is try to google for opinions of others IN YOUR AREA. For instance, if you were moving to San Antonio, Texas, then you should google:

"DSL vs. Cable San Antonio opinions" or something like that. Most likely you can find some forum page somewhere that discusses opinions from actual local customers. Obviously this will work better if you are moving to a Metropolitan Area. You might try the county name instead depending on where it is.

Comment

re

I've had earthlink dsl for 5 years and had 2 outages that lasted no more than a couple of hours each. It's expensive but the extras make it worth it. For price, SBC-Yahoo just dropped their price on dsl to $14.95/month.....a great deal if they service your area. A guy who works for me(and plays Cains ctf regularly) has the service and has had no probs for 2 years and usually pings to Cains the same as me.

Comment

Originally posted by lucid
                              If you don't have to sign a contract I would try both.
                              I would say you would always have to sign a contract of some sorts because they need to know who to bill, and make sure that they are getting their money's worth out of the customer.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X