Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low budget light gaming rig. Advice welcomed !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low budget light gaming rig. Advice welcomed !

I'm putting together a rig for a family friend who just watched me playing Company of Heroes, and he is hooked. He wants something cheap, and I wasn't in a piece-it-together-and-find-the-cheapest-price-on-everything mood, so I had gotten a CompGeeks email with the following specs:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...2002RS&cat=SYS

I'm planning on adding the following vid card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161196

and another 512mb RAM stick to go with it, so does this look like enough rig to run Company of Heroes ? The recommended specs are:

System: 3.0GHz Intel Pentium or equivalent
    RAM: 1024 MB
    Video Memory: 6800 256 MB

Going by that, I don't quite get to where I need to be, but I haven't found anything for under $250 that fits the bill like the above links. Does the 1650 compare favorably to the 6800 ?
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

I would think that the 6800 would be better, and definately go with 1GB of RAM.
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

1 GB Memory is a must-have!
      Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

Here's the budget problem ... with what I have:

HP refurb PC - $170

Windows XP Home - $70

ATI 1650Pro - $50

Thats the $300 budget that I need to stick to, so then adding a 17" LCD jumps me all the way up to $450. So thats my dilemma, I can't even add any more to the build to stay at that figure. Mannn, budget gamer rigs are just impossible to do !!
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Are you paying for this, or is someone else? Otherwise, definately upgrade the RAM to 1GB, and try to find a 6800 card.
          We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

when somebody wants a really really budget gaming rig, they get a lecture from me on how far just another $100 will go, and that they are buying something that is already inadequate. They don't need a screaming fast $1500+ uber rig, but I would just talk to them about how far a few extra dollars on the various parts will go.
            [img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/__alpha__/ut3-4.png[/img]

Comment

I think what killed me right from the get-go was having him watch a few minutes of me playing Company of Heroes on my rig.

On a side note, they are friends of ours that are soon adopting from Guatemala, so I know money will be an issue, hence the low budget restraints. I am keeping it as low as possible, knowing that money is never just lying around after you adopt.

They are still on dialup, and I checked and found they can even get Verizon FIOS (!!!), but plan on having them purchase the low $15/monthly plan as it suits their needs much better.

Comment

are you sure you cant extend the price limit a weee bit more? you can get much more for a bit more...

edit* well my fault for not reading the post in the middle!
                be sure to try Ebay for XP home, i got mine for $50 off there!

Comment

What resolution and kind of settings are they wanting to play this at? I played the demo quite a bit and my 7800GT struggled slightly at times. I played at 1680x1050 with medium settings.

I'm just wondering if a 6800 or 1650 will be enough.

Comment

Resolution is 1280x1024, as if I can't find a Good deal on a 17" LCD, they will justuse their existing 17" CRT. I may even bump it down to 1024x768, so I think the 1650 will be playable. Keep in mind the age of their existing PC (we are talking a P3-600 here) so ANYTHING will be a huge upgrade, but the dialup is their main bottleneck right now.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                      Resolution is 1280x1024, as if I can't find a Good deal on a 17" LCD, they will justuse their existing 17" CRT. I may even bump it down to 1024x768, so I think the 1650 will be playable. Keep in mind the age of their existing PC (we are talking a P3-600 here) so ANYTHING will be a huge upgrade, but the dialup is their main bottleneck right now.
                      That CRT might be the best way to go. It's probably not a good idea to put native resolutions into the mix, especially if they find a new game they like somewhere down the line.

Comment

imlittlev, nice work on the parts list !! You and I think alike on many of those items. Did you get a total on the parts to compare to the CompGeeks rig ?
                        I'm getting burned out on assembling rigs, so I was hoping for an easy build for a change, as I am assembling yet another rig for another customer, and this pre-built PC cut my build time down to nothing.

The good news is, I am almost out of spare parts lying around my work bench, so with the cupboards nearly bare, WT can take a break and deal with software only issues for a bit.

I'd guesstimate that I've built around 10 PCs since October, and thats from scratch as well, not just upgrading a part here and there.

Comment

imlittlev, nice work on the parts list !! You and I think alike on many of those items. Did you get a total on the parts to compare to the CompGeeks rig ?
                          I'm getting burned out on assembling rigs, so I was hoping for an easy build for a change, as I am assembling yet another rig for another customer, and this pre-built PC cut my build time down to nothing.

The good news is, I am almost out of spare parts lying around my work bench, so with the cupboards nearly bare, WT can take a break and deal with software only issues for a bit.

I'd guesstimate that I've built around 10 PCs since October, and thats from scratch as well, not just upgrading a part here and there.
                          I've got new parts coming soon. Want to build mine? i'm sick and tired of doing it on a daily basis.

Comment

yes, i decided to at least assemble a rig for the heck of it as

A: its fun to see how cheap you can get
                            B: the other choice is HP "ohnoes!"
                            C: why not?
                            D:what about the monitor? at almost $150 thats a nice 19in WS

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                              by Apache Warrior
                              6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                            • Reply to 6 years
                              by Sirex
                              I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                              Just hit 2.5K miles...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                            • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                              by Sirex
                              Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                            • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                              by Sirex
                              Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                            • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                              by Sirex
                              Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                            Working...
                            X