Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small IGN article on MP

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1172554p1.html

Battlefield 3 is developer DICE's eighth game in the franchise. With over a decade of experience in the multiplayer shooter space, Battlefield 3 represents its attempt to make their biggest, most inclusive shooter yet. Accessibility is a huge mandate for the studio (with the team focusing on making a game that appeals to both team players, lone wolves, console owners and the hardcore PC audience), but above all else, fun is king. From listening to the community, to examining the failings of their previous games, to making a title that takes full advantage of their new engine, Battlefield 3's multiplayer is a work in progress. Unpolished as it is, though, it's already a hell of a lot of fun.

The new, cheesy-sounding philosophy DICE is taking with Battlefield 3 is "Play it Your Way." While hollow PR babble on the surface, in practice it reflects their desire to make Battlefield as universally appealing to shooter fans as possible. To this end the levels will be varied, from giant stages full of jets and armored vehicles, to the more funneled stages like the Paris one I got to play. While there were armored personnel carriers in the level, it was largely a corridor stage, focusing first and foremost on player's gun skills as opposed to a cooperative effort of vehicles and soldiers. It may have started in an open park (which itself still felt relatively small since players were fenced in by walls and rivers), but within moments the level was small, 50 ft wide corridors and cramped hallways. The hope appears to be to create an experience that'll give the hardcore, long-time fans what they desire in a battlefield experience, but also to have stages that appeal to the more arena-style fans that play games like Call of Duty. Don't go abandoning hope and lamenting the end of the franchise, though, as I'm assured many of the levels we've yet to see will bring back the epic-sized conflicts the franchise is known for.

Classes have also been redesigned in Battlefield 3, giving players new ways to customize their load outs to suit their play style. Riflemen now double as medics, healing players and reviving those who are downed. The Support class is now equipped with a light machinegun and ammo packs, the sniper is a long-range and demolitions expert, and the Engineer is the master of destroying and repairing vehicles. With weapon attachments players can adapt the classes to how they want to play, with Riflemen choosing things like underslung grenade launchers in place of advanced medical equipment, for instance.

The Support class was super important in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 because it could heal, but they're given a new role in Battlefield 3:suppression. Shooting in an enemy's general direction is important in real combat, giving your own team a chance to move and gain position while the enemies are frightened into running for cover. Battlefield 3 takes this into account, and anyone firing a hail of lead near foes ? something the Support class is especially good at, much more so with a fancy bi-pod attachment ? will suppress the enemy. This not only garners points for the shooter, but dims and shakes the screen of those affected. Shooting to kill is an important role, but shooting to provide actual supporting fire is now emphasized as well.

Vehicles have also been tweaked in Battlefield 3, in hopes of making them more fun for both the operator and passengers. Vehicles regenerate small amounts of health when damaged, but in order to heal to full will need the assistance of an Engineer. Vehicles can also be immobilized right before destruction, forcing an Engineer to intervene to save it, and giving the passengers a chance to bail out. The hope is that this will alleviate a lot of the rage that comes from a team jumping into a humvee, only to be destroyed by one well placed rocket. Yes, the rocket might kill the person it blows up right next to, but the whole squad won't be punished for one crazy driver, or feel like vehicles are death traps.

Two tweaks that stood out during the time I played, and really show DICE's commitment to making the experience better and better, were the inclusion of prone and the ability to opt out of revive. Prone could be dangerous to the balance, as it makes players incredibly hard to discern at a distance, but to balance this DICE is finding new ways to make the cost match the benefits. You might be harder to see, but your lens will flash if a player looks at it, and getting up and laying down takes time that will cost you if someone is close. Revive was also something that players liked in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, but it was annoying when someone would revive you for points, only to do so when you were going to stand up right in an enemy's fire. Now you can opt out of a revive, looking to see how safe it is before you make a decision about whether a respawn at a different location would be more effective. It's a small change, and one of those head-slap inducing choices that seem obvious, but a testament to the time, experience and passion DICE has for making Battlefield 3 as fun and balanced as possible.

My playtime was entirely too short, but Battlefield 3 is following a proven formula that's been created by, refined and tweaked by one of the best first-person shooter developers in the world. If the single-player manages to live up to expectations, and the multiplayer keeps getting even better, it might not be long before there's a new king of modern warfare.

I'm not convinced that prone snipers can be easily found. It's hard enough to find em as it is with the naked eye from a distance much less if they are laying down.

I just hope we can get away from the sniper fests we have now on the big maps we're running. Takes away so much fun when you're not able to sprint across big maps without 6 snipers giving you hell all the way across.

I dont know if any of you guys have ever played on servers without snipers, but if you ever did, you'd would want to all the time.

Yea, and I can que the people coming on here defending the sniper class. Well , all I got to say is, if snipers didnt hide in the hills and came out and fought with the rest of the group it wouldnt be so bad. But as it is now, some never move from their perch the whole game.

And that aint fun in my book.

Overall, I'm hoping it will be fun from the graphics/movement engine standpoint that Frostbite 2 offers.

Bring on the beta.
    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
      I'm not convinced that prone snipers can be easily found. It's hard enough to find em as it is with the naked eye from a distance much less if they are laying down.

I just hope we can get away from the sniper fests we have now on the big maps we're running. Takes away so much fun when you're not able to sprint across big maps without 6 snipers giving you hell all the way across.

I dont know if any of you guys have ever played on servers without snipers, but if you ever did, you'd would want to all the time.

Yea, and I can que the people coming on here defending the sniper class. Well , all I got to say is, if snipers didnt hide in the hills and came out and fought with the rest of the group it wouldnt be so bad. But as it is now, some never move from their perch the whole game.

And that aint fun in my book.

Overall, I'm hoping it will be fun from the graphics/movement engine standpoint that Frostbite 2 offers.

Bring on the beta.

HA HA HA I had a good laugh from that comment cause that BC2 map with the farm. Man its a chore to run across and hear those bullets wizing by. Sometimes I never make it to the other end The thing about that hill on that map is I notice snipers will be up there but if one of the attackers group just go up there, They can remove those snipers since they all are too busying looking in their scope. Sometimes on how the game runs, I"ll stay up there cause some of those snipers try to get that hill back. Just got to watch out for those fools in AT or buggy and mortar lol

Comment

While you guys are on IGN, go to the Wii section. While it has a truly awful name, the Wii U is going to be incredible--AND, Battlefield 3 will be on it.

I'm going to be getting the PC version even though I'm positive I'll buy a Wii U, but check out the new controller, and watch the demo of the thing. That's got enormous potential. Now think of that controller taking care of sub-tasks in a Battlefield game like UAV piloting.

Game. Changing. That's what that is.

By the way, as a tanker/engineer, I don't like the new "feature" where everyone has a chance to bail out of vehicles. That means a lot of kill chances will be taken away. I'd rather it be like it is now, where someone who knows the vehicle well can bloody well bail out on their own when the time is right. I'm going to be ticked if I hit jeeps with shells or mines and watch all 4-5 guys inside walk away 80% of the time.

-Rand
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

The thing about that hill on that map is I notice snipers will be up there but if one of the attackers group just go up there, They can remove those snipers since they all are too busying looking in their scope. Sometimes on how the game runs, I"ll stay up there cause some of those snipers try to get that hill back. Just got to watch out for those fools in AT or buggy and mortar lol
          I love clearing out snipers on the hill tops.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
            While you guys are on IGN, go to the Wii section. While it has a truly awful name, the Wii U is going to be incredible--AND, Battlefield 3 will be on it.

I'm going to be getting the PC version even though I'm positive I'll buy a Wii U, but check out the new controller, and watch the demo of the thing. That's got enormous potential. Now think of that controller taking care of sub-tasks in a Battlefield game like UAV piloting.

Game. Changing. That's what that is.

By the way, as a tanker/engineer, I don't like the new "feature" where everyone has a chance to bail out of vehicles. That means a lot of kill chances will be taken away. I'd rather it be like it is now, where someone who knows the vehicle well can bloody well bail out on their own when the time is right. I'm going to be ticked if I hit jeeps with shells or mines and watch all 4-5 guys inside walk away 80% of the time.

-Rand
            I saw pictures of the Wii U but not the controller. Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nresdAnr5mM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUJFNpPVtbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIvRrg8eDbc

it seems you can also use the Wii controllers on the Wii U.

Comment

Yep, that's it.

-Rand

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post

-Rand
                Yeah, that seems very stupid to me. I dont like the catering to idiots they keep doing, but atleast there is less of it over-all from bc2 to bf3(so far?). If you are dumb enough to stay in a vehicle when something is about to kill it(you usually know) then they deserve a death and someone else needs a kill. I hope it isnt too obvious atleast. Not some freaking ejector seats or something, hopefully only the driver would know really, since the vehicle stops.

EDIT:
                That Wii U thing looks sweet. I hope they make some more hard games though. I miss the hardcore platforming and RPGs of nintendo.I know nothing is hardcore compared to games like "I wanna be that guy" or super meat boy,etc, but, for their time, NES games were difficult.
                I just really dont want to chase mario around, or block some stupid pirates arrows. I find most Wii games very lame and gimmicky. I miss Nintendo though.

Comment

Im worried. This "Accessibility" thing is kinda sad. Guess it just follows the general softness that games have become.

So I can't take out the whole squad in the jeep I hit with a rocket...gtfo.

Lets not kill the guy in the APC when he stays in the obviously hurt apc..

I personally want an aimbot attachment, because its hard to shoot people sometimes.

Will there be a foldout table and chairs I can carry around, so I can talk to players who are frustrated and had their feelings hurt?
                  Motivate

Comment

I'll have to wait and see, but I'm with Furry on this one too. Who complains about getting blown up in a tank. Doesnt matter that he's raping the rest of the team but dont kill him too hard. He should have a chance to survive. LMAO. You dont get much chance to escape tank rounds. Boom. Dead. But thats ok.

I really hope it doesnt get frustrating with this. It's hard enough with the tank ho's anyway.
                    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

You guys seem to be missing the point of what my concern is with this delay before explosion thing. There's no need for sarcasm, especially confusing sarcasm.

Is it more frustrating to get blown up in a squad-based game--ideally with squad voip--when you chose to spawn on the crazy guy behind the wheel of a jeep, or to be the guy who just shot it with a rocket, triggered a c4 booby trap, or hit it with a Hellfire missile, only to watch 3-4 bad guys get out and walk away scot free?

This isn't about being a tank whore and complaining that it won't be easy to run up the score. Tanks are very vulnerable in BF2, and hopefully 3 will be closer to that than BC2. Mines, missiles, jets (especially jets), helos, other armor, c4. They aren't incredibly hard to stop, and CLRs are good at countering armor.

Part of the skill of using them, or any vehicle, is knowing your limitations and what you can take. 9 of every 10 times my vehicle goes down, whether it's a tank, apc, or Raptor/Cicada/flying device, regardless of the game, it went down without me in it, and I go hip-hopping away to try to kill the guy that busted my ride. Because I would know when it's time to bail, and jump out at that time. Maybe 1 in 20 times I do that, the vehicle survives and gets jacked. All in all, an exchange rate I can deal with, particularly since I usually destroy the captured vehicle before I die.

Now they want to make it so someone can be utterly stupid (or fearless, if you wish) with a vehicle, a team asset, and then allow them to walk off without a scratch for free, just because it's a "feature" of the game that you almost literally can't get blown up behind the stick. It removes a subtle level of skill for a dubious trade off.

So it's back to the question: is it more annoying to die after you spawn or to feel your weapons are ineffective? That's what this change does--it creates a frustration that didn't exist before.

-Rand

Comment

I will keep faith until I play it. Even then it could change a lot. BF2 had some major changes, and BC2 beta was not good at all imo.

I am sure there will be more talk on these features, and some videos to see how they actually work.
                        Motivate

Comment

Originally posted by Furryappleseed View Post
                          I will keep faith until I play it.
                          Me too.
                          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!

Comment

I liked being able to C4 the artys, UAV trailer and satellite feed. It will be disappointing if they take those out. But with the commander going away I fear that these objectives will go away with it.

Comment

If that feature is an issue and people start complaining maybe they would nerf it and restore the way it was in BFBC2.

What I dont understand is who, why and where someone complained enough that it would be under consideration anyway. As some have said any idiot that stays in a tank when they know it's about to go deserves to get blown up. Unless he feels like all he needs is one more round to get his target, he may just stick it out and die anyway.I've done that, but I never complained about gettin blown up, not one time.

I just dont understand the reasoning behind this move. It's hell killin tanks anyway, which usually ends up bad for me. But if I'm an engy, it's my job. But as some have stated, to manuever around to get a kill on a tank and have them escape is just bs. Same thing goes for a humvee full of enemies. If I'm good enough to hit a moving humvee it would be nice to kill the occupants.

This might be a bad deal. I just wish I knew their reasoning for it. But it just dont make sense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out before we start to complain. But it does sound frustrating.Plus it may make for everyone to only want to play in vehicles rather than doing other jobs. I'ts already hard enough to kill choppers if they have a good driver. And they can take over a game.

I just dont understand this move.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X