X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetbattlefield's notes

Some notes about the game played @ E3..

Planet Battlefield - Maps, News, Battlefield 3, Videos, Downloads

Before we were allowed to play Battlefield 3, DICE's Lars Gustafsson, BF3 Lead Multiplayer Designer briefed a small group of us about the game. We'll have our impressions of the game later!

Tank footage show at EA press conference is possibly the first mission in the game
    New suppression system -

Operation Metro - rush gamemode, close combat, play as U.S. Marines, take on Russian forces in heart of Paris, infantry focus
    Operation Metro objective is to take back Stock Exchange
    Team Deatchmatch, Conquest, Rush gamemodes confirmed
    Battle Log - hub for social Battlefield experience
    4 classes tuned for teamplay - Assault (medic abilities), Engineer (anti-vehicle, repair), Support (give ammo, suppressive fire), Recon (main focus supplying intel)
    Heavily focused on unlocks, more than any Battlefield game, customization key
    Engineer has flashlight under-slung on weapon for lighting up area, blinding enemy
    Every weapon has 3 customization slots (barrels, etc)
    Support solider has bi-pod - placed on any surface in game (more accuracy)
    New feature called Suppression - all the bullets you fire at an enemy affect them regardless if you hit them or not. All the bullets you fire that get close enough will start to reduce their combat efficiency. Squad can then flank the enemy and you will receive a Suppression score.
    Jets, boats, tanks, helicopters confirmed
    LAV-25 Light Armored Vehicle confirmed, also in Operation Metro
    Dog tags - fully customizable, dynamically updated, only obtainable from knife kills in the back
    Knifing system more dramatic, spectacular
    Some more notes on our time with Battlefield 3 at E3, and a quick breakdown of things there worth noting.

On the death screen it now displays statistics of how many times you have killed the person who killed you and how man times they killed you (e.g. 2-1)
    When deployed it displays on the bottom of the screen a countdown of when a squad member can spawn on you, and when they spawn who it is
    Most of the rifles that we played with had 3 fire mode : automatic, semi-automatic, and single shot
    After you are killed the health of the person who killed you is shown as a heath bar over their head
    When your in a vehicle and stopped the camera begins to shake from the rattling of the engine
    Flashlight can blind you momentary if someone points it directly at you
    100 points for killing someone, 10 extra points for a headshot, 100 points for reviving
    In order to revive you must hover over the dead body and hold down left mouse button while your character rubs the paddles together and charges them before the player is revived
    2 grenades were given by default
    In order to knife in this build of the game you need to press ?f? to do ?quick knife?. When pressed you enter into an animation that will pull you close to your enemy and you will grab their head and execute them by slitting their throat
    You can only obtain an enemy?s dog tag if the ?quick knife? command is done when you are behind your enemy
    The knife seems more like a switchblade than the classic knife we are used to
    Commo rose is not in the build we played. EA wouldn't give us a firm yes or not when asked if it would be in the final version of the game
    Overall the game was very smooth for something that is pre-alpha. We never notices any framerate loss while we were playing. The game has a Battlefield: Bad Company 2 feel, but it's a lot more than that. If you try to jump over something you don't just simply jump, you see an animation of your solider leaping over. It's Bad Company 2 on crack with mind-blowing graphics, more intense gameplay, amazing weapon customization, superb animations, and most important of all it's the most fun we have had playing a Battlefield game.
    awww

Bad company 2 on crack? Animations during a MP game?
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

In order to knife in this build of the game you need to press “f” to do “quick knife”. When pressed you enter into an animation that will pull you close to your enemy and you will grab their head and execute them by slitting their throat
      I am disappoint.

Wish they would've done away with the scripted knives on the PC version, and just given us a knife slot (like CS, BF2)

edit: But it says "in this build" so hopefully there's a small chance of a "subject to change" in there, but I doubt it.

Comment

Possibly no commo rose? BC2 feel? More "dramatic, spectacular" knifing system? "Heavily focused on unlocks, more than any other Battlefield game?"

Who is asking for this stuff? I just want my BF 1942 and BF 2 experience. Is that too much to ask? Judging by this, yes.

-Rand
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

New feature called Suppression - all the bullets you fire at an enemy affect them regardless if you hit them or not. All the bullets you fire that get close enough will start to reduce their combat efficiency. Squad can then flank the enemy and you will receive a Suppression score.
          Jets, boats, tanks, helicopters confirmed
          "WTF is this S#$%"
          My thoughts when i read this line
          Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by baconoclock View Post
            "WTF is this S#$%"
            My thoughts when i read this line
            What's so weird about that? Yell out "Base of Fire" and get points. This is a great idea to be honest.

Comment

It's gonna be different. Get some guys as support laying down MG fire and it could get a little dicey. That plus the destructive nature of the rounds fired watching the trailers I've seen seem to really play hell with concrete.

I think it will take a little while playing to really realize the potential of all the different weapons. At least we can shoot at a sniper from a distance and keep him suppressed. Give the rest of the squad time to move up or out.

One thing that troubles me though is any lack of conversation about in game communication. Wonder if Voip is gonna be crap or did they fix it this time.
              [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
                One thing that troubles me though is any lack of conversation about in game communication. Wonder if Voip is gonna be crap or did they fix it this time.
                +100 If they expect it to have team work in game VOIP is important, I hope they don't make the mistake that has been made before by depending on third parties for this.

Comment

Squad VOIP was built into BC2, but it was broken (works temporarily then begins to garble). I believe the problem was buried too deeply into the core of their new code design to be fixed with a patch.

Since it was a critical FAIL for BC2, I bet it will work okay in BF3.

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post

Since it was a critical FAIL for BC2, I bet it will work okay in BF3.
                    I hope so, it worked perfectly in BF2 and was a huge part of the teamwork.

Comment

That suppression sounds weak. I want to know how my effectiveness will be reduced. Seems annoying.

Edit: Seems it dims and shakes the screen, ugh. Love when games decide to randomly be "realistic".
                      Last edited by Furryappleseed; 8 Jun 2011, 12:33 PM. Reason: blah
                      Motivate

Comment

As Cobalt said, it seems to be a great way to suppress snipers.
                        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                          As Cobalt said, it seems to be a great way to suppress snipers.
                          And the LMG's huge ammo supply will be supplemented by infinite ammo kit resupply. Maybe snipers have found their favorite first shot target.

Comment

VOIP ingame was said to be working properly in BF3, i was talking to some EA/Dice staff today at my work. (they came in for Lunch,FYI i work at Johnny Rockets in Downtown,LA (: )
                            of course i asked questions.. mainly about the VOIP. they said its all working perfectly fine. They knew it there was a problem in BF2. and aware of it. but as someone said, it was deep into the BF2 engine with the bugs and what not..

I guess we'll find out when its OPEN beta.

p.s. they'll let me in the last day of E3 to play BF3 tomorrow.
                            so ill keep ya guys updated

Comment

Originally posted by brian Is Huh?!{clr} View Post
                              voip Ingame Was Said To Be Working Properly In Bf3, I Was Talking To Some Ea/dice Staff Today At My Work. (they Came In For Lunch,fyi I Work At Johnny Rockets In Downtown,la (: )
                              Of Course I Asked Questions.. Mainly About The Voip. They Said Its All Working Perfectly Fine. They Knew It There Was A Problem In Bf2. And Aware Of It. But As Someone Said, It Was Deep Into The Bf2 Engine With The Bugs And What Not..

I Guess We'll Find Out When Its Open Beta.

P.s. They'll Let Me In The Last Day Of E3 To Play Bf3 Tomorrow.
                              So Ill Keep Ya Guys Updated :d
                              Nice!!!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X