Battlefield 3 Alpha impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battlefield 3 Alpha impressions

Note: We have several CLRs in the Alpha, but I need to read and re-read the T&C of the Alpha before I will allow them to post here. For now read this....

-------
    From this website:
    http://bf3blog.com/2011/07/battlefie...a-impressions/

--

One of our members was lucky got access to the Battlefield 3 alpha after BF3blog was pretty much banned from the alpha (*cough* possibly related to leaking a bunch of stuff *cough*), and he spend the last few days playing the alpha, clocking in a dozen hours or so. He?s still bound by the NDA, so we won?t be showing any screenshots or videos, but here are the full impressions of the Battlefield 3 alpha so far:
    Gameplay

Feels more like Battlefield 2 than Bad Company 2. The pace is a bit quicker than in BF2, but it appears it?s because of the map and the Rush mode.
    You can now strafe run, which adds a lot more than it sounds.
    You can see your legs/feet when looking down or jumping over things. It?s not as weird as it sounds.
    No bunny hopping or dolphin diving.
    3D spotting has been revised. It feels like you need to be more accurate when spotting enemies than in Bad Company 2.
    Classes are a lot better and make more sense (Assault with med kit, Support gives out ammo).
    Everything ran very smooth at high frame rates, it gave it a bit of a ?Call of Duty? feeling at times.
    The game appears to be ready for in-game advertising support (banners etc.). Although it could be just random BF3 banners posted.

Guns

Hit detection feels much better than in Bad Company 2.
    Guns look, sound and feel differently from Bad Company 2. It?s more like BF2 than BC2.
    Muzzle flash on guns has been reduced compared to BC2, now is on par with BF2.

Audio

Just as crisp and lifelike as in other Battlefield games. It sounds more realistic in BF3, kinda like ?war tapes? in Bad Company 2.
    There?s still automated chatter from soldiers around you, including enemies (which reveals their position, like in BC2).
    No commo rose

Vehicles

There was only one vehicle, the LAV-25 APC. Controls felt like Bad Company 2, but the cannon firing and sounds were much more realistic, as if you?re in a real APC.
    It felt like it took a few more rockets to completely destroy the LAV compared to Bad Company 2.

Graphics/destruction

The game looks great, no way around that.
    Animations are way ahead of Bad Company 2 or any other FPS.
    Destruction feels more limited than in BC2. There are buildings you can destroy, buildings you can?t. There are walls you can destroy, and walls you can?t. There?s no real way of telling which is which.
    There is also a lot of cover that would have been destroyable in Bad Company 2, but isn?t in BF3. (UPDATE: according to some, destruction has been limited in the alpha for testing purposes, which would explain what we experienced).
    The lighting is amazing, both in doors and outdoors. Also, you can only shoot out some of the interior lights, not all.

Misc

Award pins have been replaced by BF2-style ribbons.
    There are a bunch of new guns, like the G36C, MP7, M27.
    There are now faction specific weapons and rocket launchers.
    When M-Com stations are armed, a C4 device appears on it. When disarmed, the C4 disappears.
    100 points are given for a kill, +10 points for headshots, +30 for kill assist etc. You get 200 points for arming M-Com, another 200 for destroying it.

Overall:

The game feels a lot more like Battlefield 2 than Bad Company 2, contrary to what many people think. It was hard to comment on pace, since it?s Rush, limited to 32 players, with tight combat areas ? so pacing will naturally be fast. On open, conquest maps with 64 players, I can imagine it feels a lot more like BF2. Also, note that these impressions are for an alpha version ? it?s far from a finished product.

Any questions, feel free to ask in the comments and we?ll try and answer. Also, if you?ve played the alpha, feel free to participate and share your experience in the comments section.

Reserved for comments and Q&A....

Hmm, perhaps we can do what this website did....

You folks can ask Questions, and I can get our Alpha participants to pm me answers and I can post for them.

I am not a member of the Alpha group, so this may be acceptable..

Comment

Reserved...

Comment

Reserved....

Comment

Well, how exactly can EA know if we post anything that we are even in the Alpha. I mean I don't have an origin account with the same username as this neither is my email or even origins email. Let me take you through how to join a server.

1. Open Origin
          2. Click Play on BF3 on Origin
          3. Firefox opens and shows your battlelog
          4. Go to servers
          5. Search for servers
          - at this point you need to download a special Firefox Plugin
          6. Joining server
          - Now an error message shows up to why you are not updated to version 275.39 on nVidia even thought their max driver right now is 275.33...
          7. Frostbite turns on and you are ingame right next to your squadmate within seconds.

Seems long, yes. It's not terribly long though.

Comment

They might decide to take it out on me, not you....

But we will see...

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
              They might decide to take it out on me, not you....

But we will see...
              You can always delete whatever you find is "too much" or "too liable."

I'll have no problems with it. I can't imagine EA having that much time in looking for people who share a bit.

Comment

Comment

ALPHA is simply not working for nVidia users. All of them. There is a fix that requires you to install the QUADRO/TESLA driver and changing a few settings. However, now that I did that I'm playing about 20 minutes instead of the 30 seconds I used to get. I can see myself playing for days though.

A few points:

This version of the game is Vanilla. It takes 3 to 4 bullets for someone to die. It's a VERY nice mix between BC2's HC and Vanilla health. STRAIGHT in the middle. Not too easy to get killed, yet not too hard.

This game has "hands down" the best player animation I have ever seen. It is like watching humans jumping/running to drawing a weapon or throwing a grenade. Simply amazing. I read someone say "this game puts the impress in impression" and boy is he right. Absolutely gorgeous game. I got a few dogtags and they are very rewarding. Weapon customization is great and so is class customization.

You guys are going to love this! Completely worth the bribe I gave my friend lol

Comment

Very cool... I would prefer to run the base mode, for many other reasons, and it sounds as if that will be a good mode to run.

Comment

Sooooo stoked for BF3!!!
                      We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/user/FRANKIEonPCin1080p

http://www.youtube.com/user/UsamaFTW

Comment

Wow.
                          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

From what I know, this game HATES nVidia cards...

They really have to fix that in a few months..

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
                              From what I know, this game HATES nVidia cards...

They really have to fix that in a few months..
                              Yes, I pretty much gave up on it. It worked for 20 minutes that day. Now it will only do a few seconds again. It's annoying. However, it is really worth it. I am definitely going to pick this up on the first day.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X