Since it's new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since it's new?

I will get my new card today. It's the Geforce 8800 GT Super clocked. I have a Geforce 7800 GTX OC with the newest drivers installed. Now my question is can I just pull the old card out and put the new one in? Or do I have to unistall the drivers and start fresh? They are both Nvidia chips.

You will have to uninstall drivers. Shutdown, remove the card. Put the new card and install new drivers.

Comment

Yes you can do that. But i would still uninstall them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gremlin_flg
        You will have to uninstall drivers. Shutdown, remove the card. Put the new card and install new drivers.
        +1 You need to do this.
        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR}seikoAF
          Originally posted by Gremlin_flg
          +1 You need to do this.
          I didn't when i went from a 6600gt to a 7800gt and everything went fine. I actually forgot to uninstall the drivers.

Comment

Aewsome thanks. But if the drivers that came with my new card are older should I just stay with them or not use the cd and d/l right from nvidia's site? I have been using the beta driver that some one posted in this forum.

Comment

Always use the newest drivers available from Nvidia or Ati depending on what you have imo, it's the latest revisions and updates and fixes, plus tweaks and whatever else they throw in there.
              [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
              [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

you do not need to but it would be easier and hassle free down the road if you uninstall drivers

Comment

i suggest you use drive cleaner pro as well. i have went back and forth between an 8800 GTS and a 7950 GT without a driver change. it worked but performance suffered and there were a few small glitches till i uninstalled drivers, ran DC and reinstalled.

Comment

I know everyone says driver cleaner and all that stuff, but heres what I do:

Uninstall old drivers
                    If prompted for restart do it,
                    Turn off PC
                    Install new hardware
                    Install new drivers...

done

[IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbatc
                      I know everyone says driver cleaner and all that stuff, but heres what I do:

Uninstall old drivers
                      If prompted for restart do it,
                      Turn off PC
                      Install new hardware
                      Install new drivers...

done

That is all you need to do really. The only time a DC is really needed is if you switch between Nv and Ati. I still use one anyway.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                      Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                        by Apache Warrior
                        6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                      • Reply to 6 years
                        by Sirex
                        I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                        Just hit 2.5K miles...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                      • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                        by Sirex
                        Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                      • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                        by Sirex
                        Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                      • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                        by Sirex
                        Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                      Working...
                      X