Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BF3Blog?s GamesCom Battlefield 3 impressions

On August 20th, 2011 in Editorial

Our new writer, Dieter, got a chance to visit the Battlefield 3 booth at GamesCom in his home town Cologne, Germany. He played Battlefield 3 on two occasions, and he let us know of his impressions of the game. Without further ado:

Caspian Border map was detailed, lush, and just awesome to play in.
    Flags are close together, felt about the same distance as the flags in Harvest Day from Bad Company 2. The rest of the map was very big.
    The close proximity of the flags, coupled with a lot of players and vehicles resulted in some tense action between the flags, like a melting pot of vehicles, soldiers, explosions and gunfire.
    Outside if the flag zones, there wasn?t much action. But there is a lot of room for flanking, both on foot and in vehicles.
    The game crashed once. My friend who played had it crash a lot more often.
    Jets don?t feel slow at all, feel about the same speed as in BF2. Jets aren?t hard to control either ? if you played BF2 and operated a jet with mouse and keyboard, BF3 is just as easy.
    Controls and movement felt a lot like Battlefield 2, it definitely didn?t feel like a ?Bad Company 3″ game by any means.
    The graphics are awesome, everything is detailed and crisp. The forest areas with a lot of trees and shadows looked just as good as Crysis. Water effects were the best I?ve ever seen.
    Destruction is back and looked amazing, although you can?t destroy everything (obviously).
    The PC system was powered by two Nvidia GTX 580 cards in SLI.
    Vehicles felt more responsive than in Bad Company 2.
    Tanks are operated differently now, the MG isn?t on secondary fire any longer, you have to use the ?1″ and ?2″ buttons to switch between main gun and MG.
    You can spawn in vehicles now, e.g. you can spawn in a jet on the runway.
    Weapons felt more realistic than Bad Company 2. They?re less ?violent?, with less muzzle flash. They felt, sounded and handled realistically (BC2 weapons are almost cartoonish by comparison).
    There were a lot of weapons available from the get to and there are a lot of customization options, even if the player I used was a level 1 Private. They might have added more guns just for this GamesCom preview.
    The game just felt like a proper sequel to Battlefield 2. I played Bad Company 2 the night before, and BF3 is totally different. There?s an atmosphere and feeling of war and combat that was in BF2 and something BC2 couldn?t replicate.
    It felt full of BF2 nostalgia when, as soon as I spawned, I could see and hear jets dog fighting in the sky above, see tanks blowing up far into the distance, see teammates running around me towards a flag? Just those 5 seconds made me feel what I felt when I played the BF2 demo for the first time in 2005. Just ?wow?.

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

and yet still no annoucement for beta.. grrr

Comment

I hope the other large maps flags are spread out

Comment

awesome!!
          sigpic

The sentence below is true.
          The sentence above is false.

Comment

I'm slightly sad that the flags are still relatively close together, hopefully this won't be the case in all maps. I imagine Karkand, at least, will have some fair distance between capture points.

Comment

For those of us who are more foot soliders it is nice not to have to run for 5 mins because there are no transports around.

If it is a mix and you can still bring in the tank then it seems pretty balanced.

Comment

You can spawn in a jet? Weird... I assume that spawn point will be available only when there is an empty jet on the runway. Which leads to a kind of an awful queue for planes. I assume, Cain, you will have the same spawn rules as you did in BF2 and BF3.
                [img]http://www.fpsreport.com/tuqui/Sig01.jpg[/img]

Comment

with spawning on the plane itself at least it will get rid of people Tking for a jet or blocking it and forcing the TK.
                  Also the strafing of a runway by the other jets will cause less damage because of idiots just standing there.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                    with spawning on the plane itself at least it will get rid of people Tking for a jet or blocking it and forcing the TK.
                    Also the strafing of a runway by the other jets will cause less damage because of idiots just standing there.
                    You think this will stop asshats from tking the jets?
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                      You think this will stop asshats from tking the jets?
                      Apache
                      no sadly I don't... but i can wish to have fewer of them.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                      Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X