BF3 Rules of Engagement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BF3 Rules of Engagement

Looks like the community at large is howling about the changes to gameplay many BC2 admins have made on Ranked servers...

Looks like we will NOT run anti-baseraping plugins or weapons/class limitations of any kind for the BF3 server ... At least in the beginning.

Apparently most folks hate both of the above and they are demanding DICE blacklist servers with any changes to the gameplay.

The issue about weapon limitations is trickier though. The single most common such rule in BC2 is for limiting snipers or sniper rifles, as they are (generally) seen as being overpowered and unbalanced. The fact that DICE has changed the way snipers work in BF3 (scope reflection, no wookie suits, hold breath mechanic) is a de facto admission of this, but as they never dealt with it in BC2 (or even admitted it), server admins who wanted a more balanced game had to come up with their own solution that technically did breach the ROE.

Hopefully, these changes for BF3 mean that players won't feel the need to impose their own restrictions just to balance the game (rather than for personal preference as that can be catered for with unranked servers), but if DICE were a bit more responsive about balance concerns, this shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

In fact there is a question for DICE right there:
    The changes to the way snipers work in BF3 (welcome though they are) strongly suggest that the balance was not right in BC2. Do you accept this and if so, consider the efforts of the community to rebalance things itself a valid response to the issue?

Rather than castigating people for trying to balance things when DICE seems unwilling to even admit there is an issue, wouldn't it have been better for DICE to take corrective action of the sort we appear to be seeing in BF3?

Comment

I can empty the hell out of a server if I get into one's base... Let alone an entire team entering their base. Oh well.

Comment

I don't seem to recall that baseraping was that big of an issue with BF2, was it?

Comment

Other then wake island and getting off the carrier I don't remember any problems.
          Maybe you banned some people who were doing base raping as in sitting in area to long.
          As long as you went in and out and let people actually spawn I never had a problem. Its when your not allowing the other people a chance of killing you then its not good.

Then again Wake Island was either the best or worse map depending on who was in the jets on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
            I don't seem to recall that baseraping was that big of an issue with BF2, was it?
            Yes.

Don't you remember having to institute a rule where people can't camp enemy main bases with vehicles because people were stealing everything and camping the gas station at Karkand (as the most egregious example)?

-Rand
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
              A lot of people were getting mad at us because we had to resort to reprimand/kick/ban people who spawn camped. "If Dice didn't want spawn camping they would have put anti-camping features!" That was the biggest piece of crock I heard of people when we warned them about it. Especially when the server got started. Once people recognized Cain, and the #1 ranked server, they settled down. We only got griefers once in a blue moon after that.
              [img]http://www.fpsreport.com/tuqui/Sig01.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
                Yes.

Don't you remember having to institute a rule where people can't camp enemy main bases with vehicles because people were stealing everything and camping the gas station at Karkand (as the most egregious example)?

-Rand
                Stealing was ok... waiting for people to spawn was bad. I mean if you kill on your way out. Ah I am ok. If you are sitting there kick/ban,
                I think one of the questions will be the stability issues with kicking.

I know when 2142 we had to do alot of shouting at commanders to not move the carrier/base. Once people learned the rules and reasons non-clr's started to remind the commanders.

If we have to weed out the asshats, well it sounds like it is more par for the course and we get a loyal following with good games to boot.

I am guessing you will be very busy Cain.

Comment

People complain too much in this game. If they cant be a sniper or baserape then they cant possibly have any fun. They need to buck up and man up. Get close and personal with a .45 or a knife and not be a little girl sitting in the spawn with a sniper rifle.
                  We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

As Rand said, we did have problems with it. Specifically Karkand and Wake Island. but, the others had their moments too.
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain makes a good point. With them fixing things in BF3 means that they must have been aware of the problems in BC2 but never got around to addressing them.Sniper rifles, shotgun across the map shots are really ridiculous.

I think everyone here realizes that when the game is being played some people just dont have any conscience when it come to being fair or moral. Thus you get base raping, spawn camping, DA snipers sitting in the hills the whole game padding stats and the like.Campers hiding in bldgs and in corners. We've all seen it. It makes the the guys on the receiving end very likely to go somewhere else and play. It will clear out a server.

On the other hand, if somehow we could have 24 hr. admin assistance, people will also see that and be more than willing to come back or stay if the case may be, if they see we are proactive about how the server is taken care of.

Nobody likes aholes in any server. And most will take a hike because they know there are servers out there that will be on top of things. I hope we can do that. Something to think about.

But whatever happens, get on it early and often so we wont be the last one to the party so to speak. The servers they frequent early, are the servers they will come back to if they like em.
                      [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
                        Cain makes a good point. With them fixing things in BF3 means that they must have been aware of the problems in BC2 but never got around to addressing them.Sniper rifles, shotgun across the map shots are really ridiculous.

I think everyone here realizes that when the game is being played some people just dont have any conscience when it come to being fair or moral. Thus you get base raping, spawn camping, DA snipers sitting in the hills the whole game padding stats and the like.Campers hiding in bldgs and in corners. We've all seen it. It makes the the guys on the receiving end very likely to go somewhere else and play. It will clear out a server.

On the other hand, if somehow we could have 24 hr. admin assistance, people will also see that and be more than willing to come back or stay if the case may be, if they see we are proactive about how the server is taken care of.

Nobody likes aholes in any server. And most will take a hike because they know there are servers out there that will be on top of things. I hope we can do that. Something to think about.

But whatever happens, get on it early and often so we wont be the last one to the party so to speak. The servers they frequent early, are the servers they will come back to if they like em.
                        +1
                        Also people should know how to take a screen shot and post on here of any asshats for when a moderator is not on. Or you can pm a mod.

Though it might not be much fun going afk, posting any problems will help weed out those who are problems.

If you need me on start up cain I can help. My times on most likely will be from 8-11 at night during the week.<though times will vary>

Comment

Maybe we could have like an Admin rotation cycle. We sign up for times during the week where we can be on that way we constantly have admins on 24/7.
                          We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

I don't remember 2142 having the sniper spamming or horrible base raping issues. Maybe in large part to the maps being so much larger and the distance between flags.

Comment

A little hard to camp Titan mode in 2142. You could not camp the Titans until you forced there sheilds to drop.
                              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X