Different Flavors of Quad Core CPUs ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Flavors of Quad Core CPUs ??

Why are some CPUs called Core 2 Quad, some called Core 2 Extreme, but it is also 4 core correct ???

What are the differences ??

In my own View Cain it just the Name of the CPU the Core2quad as less FSB than the Core 2 Extreme and yes they both have 4 cores, But the Core2Quad Can be overclock to 4GHZ and run stable with out any problems, where the Core 2 Extreme can Only be overclocked to 3.19MHZ and run Stable.

Also the Diffrence with the Core2Quad it hell of a lot cheap than the Core 2 Extreme.

This is the Reason I Bought the Core2Quad Q6600 2.40MHZ CPU and I been using it for 3 months and I just a great CPU in my Eyes.

But this is my own view of the Cpu, I hope this put a bit light on the subject.

Comment

The Extreme processors are supposed to be the super performance CPUs. They have unlocked multipliers, which makes it easier to overclock them. Not really worth the extra price IMO, since it is so easy to OC by cranking up the FSB on the C2Ds and C2Qs.
      [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Yea, an unlocked multi on an Extreme chip is basically a waste, as you'd have to have a mid-range board with mid-range RAM to take advantage of it, but if you are spending $600+ on a CPU, you aren't the type of person who skims on the board and RAM.

I just bought an AMD Black Edition 5000+ (with an unlocked multi) and paired it up with an Asrock SATAII S939 board that is now running the AMD AM2 upgrade riser card. Its a cheap super upgradeable board that does not hit anything over 275 FSB reliably, so the unlocked multi was the perfect setuip for that board, along with very affordable Super Talent DDR2-800 RAM (4gb for $74).

So keep in mind the Core2Quad does not overclock as far as the Dual cores, and it really eats up PSU voltage like it was candy, so now is the time to invest in a higher end PSU such as the Corsair 620 unit.
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
          Yea, an unlocked multi on an Extreme chip is basically a waste, as you'd have to have a mid-range board with mid-range RAM to take advantage of it, but if you are spending $600+ on a CPU, you aren't the type of person who skims on the board and RAM.

I just bought an AMD Black Edition 5000+ (with an unlocked multi) and paired it up with an Asrock SATAII S939 board that is now running the AMD AM2 upgrade riser card. Its a cheap super upgradeable board that does not hit anything over 275 FSB reliably, so the unlocked multi was the perfect setuip for that board, along with very affordable Super Talent DDR2-800 RAM (4gb for $74).

So keep in mind the Core2Quad does not overclock as far as the Dual cores, and it really eats up PSU voltage like it was candy, so now is the time to invest in a higher end PSU such as the Corsair 620 unit.
          The Core2Quad Dose overclock to 4GhZ check it out on you tube

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X