UpdateBIOS ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UpdateBIOS ??

How do you update your BIOS without a Floppy Drive ??

I don't know but I did it with my CD drive. When I updated it I think I had to do "boot from CD" in the bios. See if you can find it.
    [img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/120/latinsigsj0.jpg[/img] [img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/BenKenobi_player_7511.png[/img] [img]http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/public_banners/hope-banner1.gif[/img] [url=http://www.cainslair.com/paypal2Cain.htm/]
    You will donate to Cain's. Now.[/url]

Comment

You might have a setting to boot from USB too.
      Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Asus has a Windows utility that will do it, not sure about other mobo manufacturers. Never did try it as I have a floppy drive for just such occurences, but it's supposed to work fairly well.
        [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
        [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

If you have a Dell (unfortunately) their site provides the updates

EDIT: Just updated mine thanks to this thread. Probably took less than 2 minutes...
          We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper110
            Asus has a Windows utility that will do it, not sure about other mobo manufacturers. Never did try it as I have a floppy drive for just such occurences, but it's supposed to work fairly well.
            works fine. USB will work as well on new boards as the option to flash should be in the BIOS. Should ask you where the file is, tell it it's the removable drive or something along those general lines.
            [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Please do NOT use a windows based application. Floppy or USB is are the best ways.

Comment

funny answers. for me at least. what motherboard, system are you wanting to do this with cain?

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                  Please do NOT use a windows based application. Floppy or USB is are the best ways.
                  would you expand on that. for my knowledge

Comment

Flashing a BIOS is something you can EASILY screw up your MB and in "the old days" you may have to ship it back to the mfg to get it fixed.

I cannot imagine using Windows to Flash a BIOS, but perhaps it can be done.

Who here has flashed their BIOS, what Company made the MB, and which one had the best Flash utility >???

I have flashed Asus, Tyan, and a few others. But it appears to me if little has changed in the way of BIOS flashing to make it any easier.

I was not planning to have a Floppy in my new PC, then I needed to flash the BIOS on this one, and thought "Oops" !!

Comment

I've used Gigabyte's Windows Bios Utility to update my motherboard's bios. I know, I know, sacrilege

I'd say boot to USB or bootable CD are still your best update options. Either way, the Mobo manufacturer should provide some sort of utility to create said bootable disk for easy flashing. Floppy just isn't needed anymore.

And even if you do manage to screw up a bios update, most motherboards these days have some kind of fail safe to bring the bios back.

Comment

Comment

I have flashed Bios with MOBO from MSI and Asus. Both have a utility that will dl and flash all at the same time.
                          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

If you have flashed via windows then count your lucky stars. It has a very high fail rate due to windows creating a lot of background activity.

Using a floppy or USB stick on boot is very safe, and while there is a very small chance it could still mess up, it's less then 1%. The only thing you really have to worry about is if you have a power cut while updating.

Comment

Every board I've owned in the past two years I have updated the BIOS on. Like Carbon mentioned, I've used Gigabyte's Windows utility (EZBios) to flash it, and also used a similar setup on my MSI board that is my main rig.

As some have mentioned, a BIOS update is only done when necessary, but in my case I had to update to have it see a newer CPU, or even in the case of an older Soltek NF3 board, it wouldn't ID the Venice core CPU that I put in it and consequently halved the amount of RAM (!!!!) that the board should have seen.
                              Pretty strange when your PC shows half of the RAM that it previously had just after a CPU upgrade !

Its been three builds now since I put a floppy in one of my rigs, but I do miss the DOS BIOS flash days, but only briefly, may I add.
                              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X