Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the difference between vista oem and regular vista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the difference between vista oem and regular vista?

^^^
    [img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/120/latinsigsj0.jpg[/img] [img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/BenKenobi_player_7511.png[/img] [img]http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/public_banners/hope-banner1.gif[/img] [url=http://www.cainslair.com/paypal2Cain.htm/]
    You will donate to Cain's. Now.[/url]

The Package is the only diffence.

Comment

IIRC, the OEM install is tied to the mainboard you first install it on, whereas the retail version would allow you to transfer it from an older PC to a newer one, under the condition that you will not be using the old license tied to the older PC.

Also, it appears that the free Ultimate version they are giving away (see my Free Vista - but it loads spyware thread) comes with both a 32 and 64 bit key, so it looks like you can install both versions of Vista on separate PCs. Make that TWO free copies of Vista Ultimate !
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
        IIRC, the OEM install is tied to the mainboard you first install it on, whereas the retail version would allow you to transfer it from an older PC to a newer one, under the condition that you will not be using the old license tied to the older PC.

Also, it appears that the free Ultimate version they are giving away (see my Free Vista - but it loads spyware thread) comes with both a 32 and 64 bit key, so it looks like you can install both versions of Vista on separate PCs. Make that TWO free copies of Vista Ultimate !
        How do you recall all of this stuff off the top of your head?

I wanna be just like WalkinTarget when I grow up!

Comment

Tails, you're just mad cause I fragged ya on CoD !!!
          :P
          That won't happen often either. I read a lot, and its been my job to know this type of stuff for almost 11 years now. I specialize in hardware, but wish I knew more software .. hell, I can't even figure out Word or Powerpoint without some guessing.
          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

That won't happen often either. I read a lot, and its been my job to know this type of stuff for almost 11 years now. I specialize in hardware, but wish I knew more software .. hell, I can't even figure out Word or Powerpoint without some guessing.
            It does take some insane skills to mod a graphics card...LOL
            We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

QFT.

Comment

Fragging is all in good fun. You know I wouldn't hold a grudge. (Though I was miffed I couldn't frag you back. :P )

Word, Powerpoint, heck, anything bundled in "Microsoft Office 2007" is a complete and utter mess.

Comment

correction: M!cro$0ft!

Comment

I have heard from guys who have changed their MB that if you call a number they will still let you reactivate the licence. I will let you know how it works whenever I get my MB upgrade.
                    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR}
                      I have heard from guys who have changed their MB that if you call a number they will still let you reactivate the licence. I will let you know how it works whenever I get my MB upgrade.
                      Please do mate, it just I have 750i Mobo on order and I don't want to but a new copy of vista unless I after to

Comment

It is entirely up to MS as to whether they allow you to transfer it over, but in the past this has been a HUGE loophole for people looking to make their OEM copy a retail copy and get around the restriction.

Having said that, I personally have called in at least a dozen times for a work PC and they always ask the same questions, and I always get a number from them to activate it. The work PCs are all OEM copies as well, and we aren't shuffling boards in them either.

I have yet to hear of someone getting flagged by the call-in process, but there's a first time for everything.

Comment

There is ALOT more difference to OEM and regular.

the biggest one is service. With OEM, the builder of the PC(i.e. you, since you built it) is required to provide support. with regular, you get M$'s help. there are quite a few other differences as well, like the one WT listed.

Oh, btw WT, if you don't have a need for the 64bit key, i could use it

Comment

<- sends Darth the 32 bit key and laughs long and hard about it. The laughter comes back again and again, day after day, whenever WT thinks of what he has done, with a chuckle and a sly grin afterwards imagining the look on Darth's face when he goes to install his new '64 bit' OS, only to scratch his head and wonder what went wrong when he can only see 2.7gb of his new 4gb RAM.

WT: Must be some trojan on your hard drive, like the ones that came out from Maxtor .. remember that fiasco late last year ???
                            Darth: Yeaaa, now that you mention it ... crap ... so what do I do now ??
                            WT: Fdisk /mbr, Format, low level 1s and 0s ... then start over. Sux 2 B U !!!!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                              by Apache Warrior
                              6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                            • Reply to 6 years
                              by Sirex
                              I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                              Just hit 2.5K miles...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                            • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                              by Sirex
                              Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                            • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                              by Sirex
                              Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                            • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                              by Sirex
                              Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                            Working...
                            X