Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well The Collection of Parts Begins (The Collecting is DONE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well The Collection of Parts Begins (The Collecting is DONE)

Well, I'm going to be building a new system over the next couple of months. I just put in my order and this is what I have.

PSU PC Power & Cooling 750watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703009

GPU 8800GT bought a month ago using currently http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130303

Case Antec P182 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129025
    Details about the case http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81820

DVD Burner 20x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151153

Just waiting to take care of some taxes and decide which Processor/MB/Memory to go with plus Hard Drives.

I'm going Raid 1 for sure, because this is my new business computer. I was going to go Raptors and 2 large HD's, but the lines seemed pretty blurred now. What do you guys think, WD SE16 750 got some pretty good reviews.
    Processor wise my software does NOT take advantage of multiple cores and won't for a couple more years, so a faster dual core is better than a quad for me. I'm thinking the E8500 right now.
    I'm here to kill friends. Do you want to be my friend?

I find it interesting how the latest system build threads are clearly taking a stand on the dual or quad core decision.
    I'm sitting here all ready for DX10, and I was one of the guys who made it a point to correct anyone and everyone that thought that DX10 games were right around the corner and the next big thing .. so you'd think that I would have listened to myself .. pffftt ...

Regardless, I do enjoy the niceties that DX10 offers in CoH:OF, so it wasn't a waste, but the same will apply for quad cores at this point. There is no convincing application that should force you to go quad core, so I will hopefully be able to put off any upgrade until June.

Assuming I wait that long (no reason why I can't) we may see something on the horizon that makes the quad core an easier decision, but its interesting to read the threads that pop up.

Having said all that, I agree with your thinking at this point, Pig, and see you have a nice start to a full upgrade there. Its a shame NVidia wasn't pushed a little harder to release a core update, so as it stands the 8800GT is all we can look to.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Any thoughts on the HD's WT?

Comment

Pigworthy, I say go for a 150 Raptor for OS and Programs and that WD 750 is great for data (That is what i have on one rig)

or

Dual 150 Raptors in raid with a WD 750 for data (my other rig)

Comment

Money is no object choice:
          http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/13885

More realistic choice:
          I say go for a 150 Raptor for OS and Programs and that WD 750 is great for data, or Dual 150 Raptors in raid with a WD 750 for data.

*echo .... echo .... echo ....*

Hehe

TBH, I am a single drive guy for all of my PC needs, having experimented with RAID only two times in my PC career. Oddly enough, the PC that I assembled for my father-in-law for Xmas was the same rig that I at one time used, with an Abit KG-7 RAID board running 2 80gb WD SE drives.

That is the one and only time I have used RAID, so I always mean to give it another try, but something else piques my curiousity. I was also not very fond of the original Raptor's low capacity of 36gb, which is cutting it verrry close to full for my use. Once they went to 75gb, I wouldn't have a reason to gripe.

My PC mentor runs a lot of RAID SCSI stuff, and he routinely runs mass storage that runs at 15k speeds (!!!!!!) and I just shake my head and ponder the boot times on that box.
          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

i use 2 raptors in RAID 0 and use another WD drive for BU/page file. there's something about the extra snap that those drives have in RAID 0. the down side for me at least is the raptor is loudest when it is read/writing. so you have two times the noise source.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef
              i use 2 raptors in RAID 0 and use another WD drive for BU/page file. there's something about the extra snap that those drives have in RAID 0. the down side for me at least is the raptor is loudest when it is read/writing. so you have two times the noise source.
              i agree with Drunken_chef & BA. the nice part is that case(finger print mess? you better believe it) is that the materials used in the sound deading of it will take care of a majority of the raptors huge noise problem. my pc, while i don't have raptors, is COMPLETELY silent, even with the dvd-rom reading at full bore!

i have the p180 case that the 182 is based off. yours is just more reflective!

Comment

the hard drive noise doesn't bother me. but i can hear it when it's quiet in my house.

Comment

Well the PSU, Sata DVD drive, and the card reader are in the case.

I'm getting ready to order a couple of other pieces and wanted you computer guru's thoughts.

I'm basically waiting for the E8500, then I'll make my final decision on a MB.

I'm planning on running this OC'ed from the get go. I hope to be running around 3.5 -3.8Ghz. I'm purchasing a Tuniq Tower 120 cpu cooler to help. I was looking at the Thermalright Ultra-120 EXTREME. But I think it's to tall for my case once everything is in, and the Tuniq is close to the same performance and Newegg has $20 off of it right now. I'm not going liquid cooling, these air coolers compete with any liquid cooling for under $300. But if any of you have a suggestion let me now.

The main question I have right now is memory. Since I want to OC this system and use the E8500. What memory do I need to get? I do want 4GB of ram because I need that much and am planning on running a 64bit OS. I'd also like to accomplish this with only 2 stick of ram, not 4. Currently Memory has some great prices and discounts. Everything I've read really shows minimal gains for upping your memory speed from 800. But will 800 speed memory work with an E8500, and can I OC to the levels I want to go? Some MB's also so they are for 1066 memory, but can they still use 800?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Your RAM choice will be dependant on your motherboard. Some RAM overclocks better in some boards more than others, and some just isn't compatible. And adding 4GB into the mix is going to lessen your overclock even more.

The best overclocks i've seen when using 4GB has been with OCZ RAM or Ballistix. but that is with the current crop of CPU's. Trying to predict if this will be the case with the new ones.... who knows.

I don't see why 800 RAM wouldn't work with the new chips either. It'll just give you a limit of 400FSB (I've seen test overclocks of 460FSB but i doubt this will happen too often) unless it's some cracking RAM that doesn't mind going over. The stock clocks of the e8500 is 333x9.5. Meaning your typical max overclock with 800MHZ RAM would be 3.8Ghz.

If you were choosing say the e8200 i would have recommended you pair it with 1066 RAM due to the lower multi.

Comment

I like the wiring for this case.

I think I may be missing something?

Comment

In regards to the RAM question, you can use DDR2-800 RAM, it will just be running asynchronously with your FSB, so in simple terms, you aren't getting the best performance from it in that mode, but buying DDR2-1066 stuff will set you back quite a princely sum.

For an example, I was shooting for a 400FSB on my board using DDR2-800 RAM. Double data rate means 400x2=800, so in that case the RAM was running synchronous with the FSB. Now this was using an e6600 (2.4ghz) so getting that to 3.6 (400x9 - the FSB times the 9x CPU multiplier).
                        It actually booted and completed a 3dmark run at those settings, but failed Orthos within 20 seconds.

I'm trying to find the specs on the 8500, but what you can do is take the FSB you are targeting times the CPUs multiplier to see what you get. IIRC, the board would have to hit around 521 FSB (!!!) to achieve a high OC. Thats the only downside to a processor upgrade, as you are going to lose a bit (RAM not sync'ed) to gain a bit more (higher OC, faster FSB).

PS - Geez, that case looks familiar .. where'd I see that before ... Darth, any idea ??

Comment

Yea, for the money I was looking at this memory. http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231145

They would give me some overhead room. And many people have said they have them running at 1066.

Comment

when you OC it, your going to weant to set the memory to 1:1 anyway, so i'd start with the 1066 for what its worth.

Comment

Good choice !! I like that RAM, and given its 1000 you aren't that far out of spec. MAKE SURE you manually set your timings tho .. I don't trust newer boards to do this expecially with anything faster than 800 speeds.

So what ghz are we shooting for with the 8500s ?? I've seen 4.4 on air from them. Yikes !! Here's the voltages increases that this guy used:

3.16ghz stock 1.13v
                              3.6ghz - 1.29
                              4ghz - 1.33v
                              4.2ghz - 1.42
                              4.4ghz - 1.5v

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X