mobo ram Cpu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mobo ram Cpu

Ok im about ready to buy some stuff. Im still pretty unsure about going sli. I went SLI in the past with 2 6800gs oc cards and didn't really notice much of a dif. I was running these cards on a asus a8n sli premium mobo...and a AMD 64 3500+. So far for my new build I have bought the EVGA 8800 GTS, Corsair 620 psu and the Antec 900 case. Im thinking the CPU i will buy will be the C2D 6850 unless someone thinks the quad core 6600 is a better option? They are priced the same. Or should I wait for the new CPUs to come out? As far as ram goes I want to go with so high end ram...Any brand and speed info would be great...Then last the Mobo....I like Asus and Abit boards what high end models would you reccomend?

Re: mobo ram Cpu

Originally posted by CHOPS123
    Ok im about ready to buy some stuff. Im still pretty unsure about going sli. I went SLI in the past with 2 6800gs oc cards and didn't really notice much of a dif. I was running these cards on a asus a8n sli premium mobo...and a AMD 64 3500+. So far for my new build I have bought the EVGA 8800 GTS, Corsair 620 psu and the Antec 900 case. Im thinking the CPU i will buy will be the C2D 6850 unless someone thinks the quad core 6600 is a better option? They are priced the same. Or should I wait for the new CPUs to come out? As far as ram goes I want to go with so high end ram...Any brand and speed info would be great...Then last the Mobo....I like Asus and Abit boards what high end models would you reccomend?
    The master WalkinTarget shall enlighten you with his wisdom...LOL
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Quad core mate I own the Q6600 and rocks,

Comment

Depends on the use.

My vote, for folks not going to be able to upgrade for a while is the Q6600, unless you can wait until feb/march for the new core2 procs.

the e6850 is a great chip. i own one. i am sure it'll be up to the task for a few years at least. but, with the new core2 chips coming out around the 20th for dual core, no real reason to buy one.

Futureproofing is the key. a quad core, while slower, will be of much more use in a year or so, than a dual core will be. Just IMO.

Comment

I think i will wait for the new Core2 cpu's or just go quad. Now as far as a Mobo? Whats the best future proof brand and model out there? Im thinking it wouldnt be a bad idea to have the option to run SLI

Comment

depends on your budget.

P35 - some use ddr2, some ddr3, some both, its newer, but not as new as the x38. 0 pcie v2.0 lanes

x38 - some models need ddr2, some require ddr3, some do both. ddr3 is VERY expensive atm, since supply won't be there by the time the demand is thanks to new mobos. 2 pciex16 v2.0 lanes

X48 - not out quite yet, but ddr3 only. also 2-4(depending on the southbridge used) pciex16 2.0

780i - ddr2 only at the moment. Nvidia says it will have a 1600fsb product available for the upcoming QX9770. whether its this board with a bios update, or not is to be seen. 2pciex16 v2.0 lanes, southbridge used doesn't have the ability for 2.0, but does have 28 lanes for use on pcie v1.1

680i - STAY AWAY FROM ANY 680i with the LT moniker after it. ddr2, but becoming very dated. still a good mobo, but will not support all of the 45nm processors. the newest ones coming out the 20th SHOULD, but for sure the latter ones will not be, according to nvidia.

Nvidia's new southbridge is coming VERY soon for the 780i boards. i hope this confused you. it also comes down to cost. P35 is fairly decent priced, imo. X38 is kinda high, and i can tell you for sure the x48 will be up there to when it comes out. 680i is priced currently on par with the p35, and a bit higher. 780i is right up there with the x38 boards cost wise.

Comment

It's a tough call It all depends upon how bad you want to SLI. If you want SLI then you would need a Nvidia chip set. The new 780i will support the new 45nm CPUs but it wont have DDR3. I don't know when the 790 will come out(I heard the end of this year) to allow for both DDR3 and the 45nm CPUs.

I have only ever bought one MB and it was from EVGA and I have found their forums and tech support helpful. There were some issues with the early 680i chip set when it came to overclocking quad cores. Because of this EVGA is offering an upgrade to the new one for a reduced price $90.00. Its not that much of an upgrade but it sure is nice of them to offer this to make up for the first people who bought their boards.

EDIT I hate being a slow typer.
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

The is also the 750i mobo that supports the new cpu and as Pci-e 2.0 and runs on ddr2 because i have one on order and these mobo only have 2 sli slots because 3 new graphic cards are going to cost hell of a lot to buy.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yea im not sure if i will even run sli.....but it seems like it would be a nice option to have. Seems like it would make the rig a little more futureproof. Like i said before I used SLI in the past and was not too impressed....but it was also when SLI first came out back in 2005...Textures seemed smoother but i didnt see a big dif in fps rates.

Comment

Don't count on reaching a consensus on the three items you mentioned, as everyone has their favorites. I'll guarantee you that most will recommend what they have already used, and shy away from an unknown brand that they have no direct comparison to.
                    So keep in mind, we can't gauge your interest or brand loyalty when we compile these lists. As much as Kyler wants to have me chime in with some advice, I have refrained from adding any, as I'd prefer to let guys who have used the newer hardware personally make some suggestions.

I know what I like, but again, thats based more on a good price rather than a good performer. I am the budget king, as you can see from my various rig builds. I never buy the best, content to know that I spent less to get 85% of the performance of the top dog.

So in conclusion, if I had to buy what you listed, I'd go with a P35 board (I like MSI lately, but that changes based on a new chipset), Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM (Darth likes Corsair Dominator, but I'm sort of meh on that series, unless its the Dominator 1066 stuff) and a Q9450 CPU.

Board review: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

Keep in mind, the linked board didn't play well with their Corsair RAM, so again my Corsair ambivalence is directly tied to odd situations like this.

The Q9450 is not yet available, but it takes advantage of the P35 boards features more than a Q6600 would, so I wouldn't mind waiting a month for one to become available.
                    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                    Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                      by Apache Warrior
                      6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                    • Reply to 6 years
                      by Sirex
                      I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                      Just hit 2.5K miles...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                    • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                      by Sirex
                      Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                    • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                      by Sirex
                      Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                    • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                      by Sirex
                      Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                    Working...
                    X