Blu-Ray FTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-Ray FTW

Well, it looks like some progress is finally being made in the format war between Blu-Ray and HD DVD and BluRay is starting to pull out in front.

This is great news for PS3 owners like me

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology

I'm glad i haven't bought into it yet, but i really wanted HD-DVD to win. Mainly because you can pick a player up for ?200. Where as Blu-Ray is about ?500.

If Blu-Ray does indeed win, they better drop the damn prices.

Comment

Juneau a Blu-ray player doesn't have to cost that much, just buy a Playstation 3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackArrow
        Juneau a Blu-ray player doesn't have to cost that much, just buy a Playstation 3
        I've always preferred standalones to consoles for playing media. Consoles just aren't built as well. My PS2 dvd drive died within 13 months of use.... and i barely used it.

Iirc PS3's are still ?300. My new PC upgrade cost less than that.

Comment

there are only 2 major movie titles still backing hd dvd. and, one of the 2 has a clause in their contract to switch without reprocussion.

Lastly, M$ has decided that they are going to give a second thought to the idea of an attached blue ray player, and MIGHT not be hddvd exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
            I'm glad i haven't bought into it yet, but i really wanted HD-DVD to win. Mainly because you can pick a player up for ?200. Where as Blu-Ray is about ?500.

No mate I have seen Blu-Ray player for ?299.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost_Rain

No mate I have seen Blu-Ray player for ?299.
              Still too much for what it is. When they go ?200 or below i'll be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
                there are only 2 major movie titles still backing hd dvd. and, one of the 2 has a clause in their contract to switch without reprocussion.

Lastly, M$ has decided that they are going to give a second thought to the idea of an attached blue ray player, and MIGHT not be hddvd exclusive.
                Microsoft KILLS rumor: they are not doing blu-ray
                http://gizmodo.com/343006/rumor-smas...lu+ray-support
                1. The "headline misconstrued the context of what I said."
                2. Microsoft is "not thinking about it."
                3. It is "fairly definitive" Microsoft is not doing it.
                4. Microsoft has "no plans" to build anything Blu-ray.
                5. Microsoft is "totally committed to HD DVD."

So just when is HD DVD dead in Microsoft's eyes? It's "over when Toshiba says they're not doing HD DVD anymore." And despite the typhoon slamming their sails this week, we're pretty certain Toshiba is staying on on the boat until it hits the sea floor.
                Update: Universal is staying with HD DVD
                "Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.

Graffeo also made it clear that the response would have come earlier but but many members of the HD DVD Promotional Group were on flights home from CES when the rumor started to pick up steam.

Yesterday, Variety started the rumor by saying ""Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusivity has ended." The dismissal of the rumor follows yesterday's news that Paramount is staying committed to HD DVD despite rampant rumors otherwise.

There is so many rumors flying its not even funng. But paramount also has said they will stay hd-dvd as well. The war is not over but wb did give hd-dvd a back eye. Biggest gripes against blu-ray is loaded with drm and region locked.

Only 3.5 million blue ray players have sold in america! 3 million of those are ps3`s. So only 500k stand alone player have sold! Id hardly say they won the war.

Not to mention combined hd-dvd and blu-ray only make up like 10% of the market while dvd owns the rest. Blu-ray might have won the battle but the war is far from over. Even if blu-ray does kill hd-dvd it still doesn't hurt the dvd market which means it could be replaced fairly easy.

Like most thought blu-ray was dead when paramount went hd-dvd exclusive. Both sides have been pronounced dead at one point or another and both had made comebacks. Both formats could still end up loosing this war no matter what deals get paid to movie companies.

Comment

ok n00b question.

speaking about microsoft and hd dvd and whatever. technically is there an hddvd player or blu ray player and you can put in your computer case just like a dvd drive or anything? if so, on a flatscreen is there hd quality?

thanks,

pesky n00b

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro
                    ok n00b question.

speaking about microsoft and hd dvd and whatever. technically is there an hddvd player or blu ray player and you can put in your computer case just like a dvd drive or anything? if so, on a flatscreen is there hd quality?

thanks,

pesky n00b
                    Yes there is. But as with the standalones Blu-Ray comes packed with DRM and region locked. You also need to use a HDMI equipped video card, and possibley a HDMI monitor.

HDDVD doesn't have any of these problems.

I really can't understand why people want BR to win.

@Prem : Very good points and it goes to show that BR standalones are to expensive. Of all the people i know who have HD standalone players, which is 9 in total, all have HD-DVD players.

I'm nopt suprised that a lot of the studios are backing BR. Region locked and DRM are there babies. I for one am sick of it.

I also only know one person with a PS3. All the others have Xbox360's.

Comment

so a geforce8880gt can do that? and i also have a samsung 22' widescreen.

so what would i need if i want to have hd dvd player installed in my computer just like a dvd player is installed in my tower?

so perhaps something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106225

Comment

and you need a powerdvd player the latest one.

Comment

Am I the only one who dosn't seem to care about the new fangled DVD formats....I mean really... is DVD that bad?....I guess I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro
                            ok n00b question.

thanks,

pesky n00b
                            Yes there is. But as with the standalones Blu-Ray comes packed with DRM and region locked. You also need to use a HDMI equipped video card, and possibley a HDMI monitor.

HDDVD doesn't have any of these problems.

I really can't understand why people want BR to win.

@Prem : Very good points and it goes to show that BR standalones are to expensive. Of all the people i know who have HD standalone players, which is 9 in total, all have HD-DVD players.

I'm nopt suprised that a lot of the studios are backing BR. Region locked and DRM are there babies. I for one am sick of it.

I also only know one person with a PS3. All the others have Xbox360's.
                            Being from Euorpe, i can see your points. however, i prefer BR to HDdvd.

The reason? Capacity. In the public sector, we've kind of hit a tough wall. much as we did prior to CD's and DVD's becoming available. the size of the drives we have are getting bigger. not everyone wants to rely on multiple drives, or can pony up for tape backup systems.

personally, i prefer to keep stuff on DVD's. lasts longer. alot of my CD's have outlived the multiple drive's i've ever backed stuff up onto.

And HD-DVD has gotten us what so far? a theoretical max of 51GB? a real tested out ther eversion of 15 & 30 for single and dual layer. BR has 25 & 50. theoreticals of 200gb have been shown and proven to work.

i could give a crap about the movies. i've seen both of the presentations 100x. actually? i hate the way the new videos lok on them. nothing looks MORE fake than huge tentacles attacking a ship in HD, or batman driving around in HD.

i liek the idea of being able to carry 50GB in my pocket, being able to pack up 50gb of stuff and taking it with me to a firends house, storing 50gb in ANYTHING. Capacity wins. until HD-DVD can obtain the same data cramming potential, BR has my vote.

As far as M$? article out of context? psh. its called covering their butts. i read it the same way gizmodo stated. the title made it more like they WERE than were not. but its similair to a few other large companies. they are covering their butts. they have clauses that say they can go one way or the other. the battle is far from won. M$ KNOWS it would be the final nail in the coffin for the PS3 if they listed an addon BR drive. what reason would there be to WRITE for the PS3? there is something FAR sinister behind the scenes here as to why they tossed that tidbit out there so quickly to "retract"(used VERY lightly) and contradict the statement that Reuters made it out to be. i am not stupid, i read it the way it was meant. they tried to take it out of context, but the thing is, it is possible. will M$? only time will tell.

until then, i'll stick with BR, Hate the PS3, ignore the 360, and watch movies on my dvd's happily until the format war is done.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes
                              Am I the only one who dosn't seem to care about the new fangled DVD formats....I mean really... is DVD that bad?....I guess I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon.
                              I feel the same way.

How about the 100,000,000+ PS2 owners who are in no rush for Blue Ray or next gen games lol. I just got Guitar Hero 3 for my PS2 and it's an awesome game. Sure it looks nicer on the 360 and PS3 but the game play is still there.
                              Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X