Windows 64 bit or Vista 64?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 64 bit or Vista 64?

Which would you use? All the bad reviews on Vista make me want to stay with xp. I installed a copy of window 64 bit once and it ran like crap.....It may have just been a bad install etc.....Any advice would be great. One thing Ive always wondered is if you are not running a 64 bit OS but have a 64 bit cpu what are the advantages. Seems like alot of ppl have 64 bit cpu but run them on a 32 bit os?

If you had to go with a 64bit OS i would probably choose Vista. XP64 wasn't the greatest piece of software ever released. Plus Vista is getting fixed and patched all the time.

Comment

What advatages do you have other than 4 gigs of ram support?

Comment

I use VIsta 64 with 4gigs. There are more drivers for Vista 64 than xp64. It runs little quicker I think than the 32.

Comment

it runs 10% faster than 32 bit vista

Comment

Originally posted by CHOPS123
            What advatages do you have other than 4 gigs of ram support?
            actually 64 bit OSs can use up to 2^64 bytes of RAM.

that's 17,179,869,184 gigabytes

Comment

As others have said, if you are going for a 64bit OS, I would recommend Vista x64. Driver support is very good for Vista x64. I am running Vista x64 with 4GB of RAM and it runs great. I have had no problems finding drivers for any of my hardware and haven't had any problems with applications.
              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Thanks for the info.....Now I just need to get my hands on a copy of Vista 64 bit

Comment

Thanks for the info.....Now I just need to get my hands on a copy of Vista 64 bit
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116204
                  [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

As bad as this may sound I cant stand paying for MS software

Comment

problem solved...I hooked him up

Comment

this what i don;'t understand but i'm not too knowledgeable in this area. why have two different versions? why just not have 64bit since its "better." can somebody explain?

Comment

As bad as this may sound I cant stand paying for MS software
                          :P
                          [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Yea Im with Jeffro on this.....They hyped up 64 bit operating systems years ago saying it was the way to go.....but they still offer 32 bit ? I was in Bestbuy the other day looking at computer and almost all of them were pre loaded with vista 32 bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro
                              this what i don;'t understand but i'm not too knowledgeable in this area. why have two different versions? why just not have 64bit since its "better." can somebody explain?
                              Well, XP-64 is their older version, pretty much their first attempt to get windows working with the consumer 64-bit chips. It was a patch effort at best, so it didn't get the full support (especially from 3rd party driver manufacturers) that it needed.

Vista64 was built from th ground up as a 64-bit OS to take better advantage of the 64-bit architecture. As it is newer, and the 3rd parties have had a chance to catch up, theres much more support with this new one. Vista64 is also a bit more secure, since this is a full rewrite of windows, MS has locked down the system files better then they did with their 32-bit systems. So it's better security AND better performance that give Vista64 the advantage.

They still have 32-bit and 64 because the bulk of the software out there is STILL not 64-bit compatible. There just isn't enough software out there currently to warrant the move for everyone YET, but for some (especially in certain high-tech industries and gaming), the move up makes sense. It's been a slow process, but the migration to all 64-bit will happen eventually

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X