Wolfdale prices etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolfdale prices etc

My local just put them up for preorder. Expect something a little cheaper than the current exchange rate though.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 2.66GHz (1333FSB) - Retail
    ?109.99
    ?129.24 inc VAT

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail
    ?122.99
    ?144.51 inc VAT

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.16GHz (1333FSB) - Retail
    ?173.99
    ?204.44 inc VAT

Pre-order

ETA: 21/01/08

The best price point appears to be the e8400 considering the e8500 is only 160mhz faster.

This seems to firm up the release date of the 20th.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

It seems strange that places like newegg have not dropped prices of the older intel chip prices yet...Seems like if they are expecting these new chips on the 20th ...They would want to get rid of some stock. I also emailed them and they had no info on the release date of the E8500 and acted like they had never heard of them Seems like a big etailer like newegg would have a little more info than that

Comment

One thing to keep in mind here is that online etailers aren't going to want you to wait on a new release. They are more interested in you buying from them TODAY.

You probably got a low level tech at Newegg who hadn't heard of the 8500, so don't let that discourage you from waiting, but keep in mind these prices we have been passing out are not for retail, they are direct purchase quantities of either 100 or 1000 from Intel to the vendor, so you WILL NOT buy it at cost, I guarantee that.

So far, Tank Guys is showing the best price from a reputable vendor, and they WILL have them by the 23rd or 24th as well. I'm glad I'm able to ride this one out and wait until summer, as the initial crush to get these chips is looking like a feeding frenzy of epic proportions.
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

160mhz might not seem like much, but the reason i chose my e6850 over the e6750 had to do with the multiplier. thats the only difference between the e8400 & e8500. but its been a while since i seen intel use "1/2" steps. 9 & 9.5 isn't too bad imo. but the 1/2 step to 9.5 isn't worth it.

bang for buck, the e8400 would take it for me. its like the old e6700 vs the e6600. cost overwhelmed the multiplier benefit.

i agree with WT, but i am more inclined to see what the quad core 45nm bring to the table.

Comment

i am more inclined to see what the quad core 45nm bring to the table.
            Bang on, chap !! (to quote my English brothers)
            I agree with that one, as I still believe even my summer purchase of a quad is a slight bit premature, but I like the idea of letting the early adapters test things out, and we'll see what games may be on the horizon for a winter release that could take advantage of the extra 2 cores.

I hardly think a quad purchase made during '07-Spring '08 is a worthwhile investment for a gaming rig. By the time I upgrade my CPU, my 8800GTS will be my bottleneck, so there goes another $350-400 ...

Interesting thing that I read just now is the quad cores had very low multipliers compared to the dual cores .. that does not sound good if you are waiting for a quad core then ... booooooo !!!
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
              Interesting thing that I read just now is the quad cores had very low multipliers compared to the dual cores .. that does not sound good if you are waiting for a quad core then ... booooooo !!!
              Actually? this surprises me he least. as with the phenoms, lower multipliers help them bring more mainstream chips to the market and them still being good. AMD's way to circumnavigate the faulty cores is to just disable them.

the yeilds for REALLY good ones has to be REALLY bad. with 4x cores, the chances of one being faulty and either killing the chip, or slowing it down is ALOT greater. thats one of the reasons intel is stick with dual die chips for their quads until more bugs can get ironed out of the native quad core dies. Rumored to be intel's "Bloomfield" processor will be their first native quad core design. but, that chip is going to have an onboard memory controlling, and an advanced version of the the "hyper-threading" tech. that chip, based on the Nehelam(sp?) Architecture will be a quad core, octo thread capable based chip, with a socket refresh to i think was 1366 pads. it'll be called "Socket B". but i digress.

Stability has alwayys come from lowering the speed. less conflicts occur at lower speed. and since they can't really lower the fsb, the multiplier is the way to go. same story with the current Quad core chips. the best way to maximize chip sales & minimize the junk chips is to do just that. lower the multiplier.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X